New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stay Tooned, Folks!
Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2008 05:49PM

"Stay Tooned, Folks!"

I found this while surfing the internet yesterday. It's an original short story written by Gary K. Wolf, author of the cult fantasy / mystery novel Who Censored Roger Rabbit? that inspired the famous film adaptation, as well as its prose sequel, and it's set in the same world. For those of you who not familiar with this humble little series (and if you're one of those people, shame on you!), it's set in an alternate 1947 Hollywood where cartoon characters actually exist as a racial minority that coexists with normal humans like you and me. The famous characters we see on television and film, like Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and all their ilk, are Hollywood actors as real and alive as Clark Gable and Liz Taylor, and their work is scripted and filmed in the same way, not drawn and worked on by animators. The protagonists in the series are Eddie Valiant (portrayed by Bob Hoskins in the movie), a private detective that works for the 'toon movie stars although he's racially prejudiced against them, and his usual client, Roger Rabbit, an oblivious short film 'toon actor with a consistent knack for running afoul of Hollywood shady types.

You guys like reading, right? You like metafiction? Then you should enjoy this. Cheers!

----

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks

Re: Stay Tooned, Folks!
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.130.---)
Date: August 16, 2008 05:22PM

I remember that book. Vaguely. The movie stuck with me longer though.

Damn, now I have to go DVD shopping.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 18, 2008 06:34PM

I liked the movie. Never knew it was based on a book though.

*will have to investigate*

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 03:08AM

[[[ditto]]]]

sorry missed [

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 03:08AM by bunyip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.