New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Lost in Austen?
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 05, 2008 06:28PM

And L Sprague de Camp throughout the Incompleat Enchanter series and the film Last Action Hero. There are lots of others, but these spring straght to my mind.

As I posted at the start of the thread, our dear JFf may write wonderful book-jumping tales, but he is not the first. (Nor has he ever claimed to be as far as I know.)

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 07, 2008 01:04AM

Yebbut - remember where all these ideas come from in the first place: the Bookworld, of course!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.254.66.212.manx.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 06:11PM

Or were they planted there by someone who accidentally jumped?

I think that we should be told. (Possibly by a Daily Mail "investigative" "reporter")

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 10, 2008 05:22AM

There is a probability that bookjumping is a meme which had access to Heinlein's 'All You Zombies/By His Bootstraps (i think)' and thus became a self causing effect.

Posted by: Sirens_Cry (---.bmly.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 10:22PM

Just watched the end of this - I was slow to pick up the Ffordian/Nextian connection having been out last week - I carefully watched the credits, expecting to see a reference to JFf moonlighting as a scriptwriter.

There was none.... except for the fact that the production company is listed as "Mammoth Screen'......

No mention of JFf, though!

It was enough to spring me out of bed, look up the company then log on here (only to find that it's been a while since I jumped into here) and find this thread....

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 11, 2008 09:37AM

Howdy, Sirens_Cry, and welcome to the Fforum. Due to the ongoing pastry shortage we can't offer pie at this time, but there's plenty of Battenberg in Kitten's Bunker and I think some chocolate in the fridge.

Welcome again!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 11, 2008 07:23PM

We are back! Pies are available again! Hi Sirens_Cry! has anyone seen the full stop so that I can avoid using yet more exclamation marks?

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: September 15, 2008 07:42AM

::::::::::::::::::

Split those in two. Think of it as nuclear fission for punctuation.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 15, 2008 08:42AM

Crikey! Welcome back, Skidz. Did you bring back any of the mammoth and pineapple pies?

Lost in Austen.
Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 16, 2008 06:39PM

Any use of existing characters in new novels is a great boon to The Character Exchange Program, allowing characters to have a break without the hard work of adopting a new personality. For this reason alone we should welcome it.

In addition I'm sure it must be having a very positive effect on the Read-O-Meter, every time anybody mentions it to me I insist they read The Eyre Affair

Besides even a casual visit to the Well would show that Mr FForde is by no means the first person to attempt to unite the two worlds in this way.

Incidentally does anybody think the Friday books count as a new plot type?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.27.41.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: September 17, 2008 09:51AM

Welcome geg. If Egon hasn't scoffed it all, try some mammoth and pineapple pie. If you are veggie, spit out the pineapple.

Date: September 17, 2008 12:56PM

V.grateful for pie and hate to moan but any chance of gravy? Mammoth just a little chewy.

Just a query - is it virtual pie or fictional pie. If virtual pie does it make up the Dark Matter between books and if so - if I print it out does it become fictional pie and then get moved to the Well of Lost Plots?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.39.49.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: September 17, 2008 01:26PM

gravy? Of course. I would recommend custard or ice cream with the fruit pies, though.

In the main the pies are not fictional, although they do have a certain cyber quality to them. Try some steak and kidney pie (reasonably moist) and decide for yourself.

Despite attempts by the U.K. press to prove otherwise, the act of printing something does not automatically make something fictional, so most of our pies woulld remain outside the Well, unless needed as McGuffins.

Date: September 18, 2008 06:49AM

Or as props/projectiles.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.253-203-34.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2008 09:53AM

my Dad ha been known to refer to custard as "yellow gravy" - never heard him refer to gravy as brown custard, but I guess that it is the logical extension of the theory.

But as they say in Chicken Run "... But I don't like gravy!"

Date: September 18, 2008 12:49PM

Your steak and kidney pie is truly a king among pies. Thank you.

Have been experimenting and discovered that if you add fictional gravy to cyber pie, the pie also becomes fictional. Of course it makes it less aerodynamic but then you can't have everything.

Am off to check gravy levels in Wapping - as feel this may explain everything

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: September 18, 2008 01:52PM

You may worry about connections between Lost in Austen and Jasper Fforde's books, but it will probably widen his readership (which I'm sure is big already, but you know what I mean). I hadn't heard of Thursday Next before watching this series, but I'm now looking forward to getting stuck in.

Date: September 18, 2008 04:19PM

Welcome then.

Avoid the sugar.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-193-42.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 19, 2008 09:20AM

Sugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugarsugar

Edited to show that sugar is something to avoid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2008 09:20AM by BibwitHart.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 19, 2008 09:39AM

Welcome Ellen. Watch out for the salt... sometimes it's sugar in disguise.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.