New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Eoin Colfer to write new H2G2 book?
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.27.41.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: September 17, 2008 10:19AM

I've not read the Artemis Fowl books, so will leave it to others to decide if Mr. Colfer is up to the task, but I am not sure that we need anyone to add to a series that was and is great, but had run its course.

"Pickwick Papers 2 - The Blog years" anyone?

Re: Eoin Colfer to write new H2G2 book?
Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2008 02:55AM

Yes, yes! I heard about this just this morning, and what a wonderful news flash it was. I have never read Colfer's work either, but I'm sure Jane Belson or the other People in Charge would not have allowed just anyone to play with Douglas's toys, so I'm feeling pretty safe and extremely happy that I'll get to read more of Hitchhiker. I was not pleased with the ending of Mostly Harmless and neither was the author, so I believe this is a good thing for everyone. I can't wait to see how they get Arthur and Ford out of the pickle they were in last time! It is quite an obstacle, that one. (if you know what I mean)

----

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: September 18, 2008 01:43PM

I have read Artemis Fowl books.

I'm not sure though... I hope it's good.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: September 18, 2008 04:13PM

Artemis Fowl was good.

So was the Wish List. Dunno if Colfer can do justice to HHGTTG....

Trying to continue the series is going to involve some... tinkering I think. I dunno.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 03:46AM

I've read the latest AF, though I haven't had time to sort out the bit at the bottom of the page yet-
could be a good HG fit, would like to see what comes of it...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: sprinterash (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 26, 2009 09:16PM

not only is it unnecessary, it's impossible. DNA,douglas noel adams for the uninitiated which clearly none of you are, wrote the ending of mostly harmless so that there won't and can't be any sequels. THEY ALL DIED IN EVERY DIMENSION, THAT'S THE POINT!! UNLEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS... they use the lame babel fish cop-out from the end of the radio series.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 27, 2009 09:01AM

Calm down sprinterash or we have to ask BK to deploy the pointy stick.......

It is a shame that after getting upset with the ever-growing trilogy, DNA later relented and suggested that perhaps there was a continuation waiting to be written.

(For what it is worth, I would prefer that Mr. Coffer left well alone: as DNA is no longer around to write one, I believe the series should be allowed to stand as a tribute to a very funny, if slightly strange man.)

Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 28, 2009 03:51AM

It's been a while since I read all the books but as I remember it, Fenchurch disappeared without warning or explanation-
since nobody knows what happened, she could always pop back up & thereby undo everything...

Posted by: Valdimier (---.5.11.vie.surfer.at)
Date: June 29, 2009 09:59PM

Hmm, I donīt think that`s a good idea, but I will give it a try when it comes out.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.103.---)
Date: June 30, 2009 06:06AM

The thing about Douglas Adams was that he made an awful lot of stuff up as he went along- I'm sure he would have made it happen somehow, if he felt he had a story worth the effort. I mean, if you can turn a missile into a bowl of petunias and no-one minds, then you can do anything, really.

Although I'm wary, tbh, as I'm not all that keen on Artemis Fowl, and that's all I've read of his. I think TP, RR, NG and JFf might be able to pull it off though. (If it happens, considering the date of the thread)

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 30, 2009 02:18PM

The thing about a book you don't approve of is that you can just choose not to buy it or read it.
I'm infuriated instead by drivel that I have to read: one of the Little Gegs is moving up to Secondary School in September and the amount of nonsense we've had to read about people "committed to providing a safe caring environment in which your child will be encouraged learn and grow" is breathtaking.

If anyone knows of a School that "aims to provide a really dangerous environment in which your child will never be treated as an individual." please let me know so we can send here there.

Date: June 30, 2009 02:37PM

So I had a nice cup of tea and a couple of biscuits and the answer was obvious - I'll just educate her in the fforum.

BK would do a lovely line in PSHE.
Bunyip could do religion and or social history.
Maths - all that Pi.
Geography - petrol prices in Australia, discuss.
Biology - moorhens their habits and habitats.
Bibwit - art?

Any other offers?

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 01, 2009 07:48AM

I can post lots of interesting terminology on request and humourous anecdotes about arty things.

Date: July 01, 2009 08:09PM

So Vincent Can Gough walks into a bar and the barman says "can I get you a drink?"

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.103.---)
Date: July 02, 2009 01:05PM

I think that Skids could take Food Science

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 02, 2009 02:00PM

I can manage Geography - I know lots about the wide accountant-sea. Just don't ask about maths!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.