New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: I've now met Jasper in person.
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 16, 2003 12:51PM

BTW, after getting a comment about how many photos I had with Jasper's eyes closed, I retouched the red eyes out of a couple more photos and added them. See the "More Pics of Jasper" thread for the link (it's the same page as before, there are just more pics).

BTW, if anyone ever needs a picture of Jasper looking possessed, I have just the shot....

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: April 17, 2003 11:12PM

I found another of Jasper's sneaky references last night.

After posting earlier in the day about his unpublished first book starring Jack Spratt as a crime solving detective, I was rereading my (now signed) copy of TEA. On page 105 I found the following:

'A boyfriend? What's his name?'
I said the first name that popped into my head.
'Snood. (i)Filbert(/i) Snood.'
'Nice name.' My mother smiled.
'Daft name,' grumbled Microft. 'Like Landen Parke-Laine, come to that. Can I get down? It's time for (i)Jack Spratt's Casebook(/i).'

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2003 12:37AM

Yeah, In LIAGB, there's Humpty Dumpty references too, lol (for anyone who went to one of his talks, YOU understand!)

Posted by: KG614 (---.cinci.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2003 04:52AM

Hello! I'm new to the Fforum. I met Jasper Fforde at booksigning on Tues 4/15 in Cincinnati (Ohio). What a nice guy! There was a large crowd (probably about 40 people) and he talked for about an hour & a half! (Other authors I've seen talk for maybe 20 minutes).

Jasper said that the Forum had lots of members who are "frightfully polite". He answered all sorts of questions on how he writes, what other books he's written, etc. I even got brave enough to ask him "How's it going on TN4?" to which he replied that he's written a bit of the beginning and some of the end, but the middle is still muddled up in his head.

He did mention that he has a trilogy of early books - I can't remember the exact titles of any except the first one called "Nursery Crimes" - in which Detective Jack Sprat is investigating the death of Humpty Dumpty, who was found at the base of his favorite wall. It looks like an apparent suicide, but... It sounded so clever! I think we need to begin a letter-writing campaign to Penguin Books to have them publish the Jack Sprat trilogy.

Later!

Posted by: KG614 (---.cinci.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2003 04:52AM

Hello! I'm new to the Fforum. I met Jasper Fforde at booksigning on Tues 4/15 in Cincinnati (Ohio). What a nice guy! There was a large crowd (probably about 40 people) and he talked for about an hour & a half! (Other authors I've seen talk for maybe 20 minutes).

Jasper said that the Forum had lots of members who are "frightfully polite". He answered all sorts of questions on how he writes, what other books he's written, etc. I even got brave enough to ask him "How's it going on TN4?" to which he replied that he's written a bit of the beginning and some of the end, but the middle is still muddled up in his head.

He did mention that he has a trilogy of early books - I can't remember the exact titles of any except the first one called "Nursery Crimes" - in which Detective Jack Sprat is investigating the death of Humpty Dumpty, who was found at the base of his favorite wall. It looks like an apparent suicide, but... It sounded so clever! I think we need to begin a letter-writing campaign to Penguin Books to have them publish the Jack Sprat trilogy.

Later!

Date: April 18, 2003 05:40AM

welcome KG614! Yep, for the most part, we are "frightfully polite" no flaming going on here. That's not to say we don't have some lively discussions, however they rarely stay on topic for more than 3 or 4 posts!

Have fun, poke around and join in, most of us don't bite and those that do, (PSD) just do it for fun!

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 18, 2003 09:43AM

I have a feeling Nursery Crime will feature heavily in TN-4 and he is testing the waters...

Date: April 18, 2003 01:51PM

that's a very distinct possibility. And now that you've read TN-3, you may have more of an inkling than the rest of us, Carla-dear! LOL

Posted by: Laura (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2003 05:08PM

Andrea,

I've joined thursdaynext on lj. For what that's worth.

Magda,

Please, oh, please remind me what the second book in the Jack Sprat series was. I can't remember and it's disturbing me (I hate it when I forget such memorable things, makes me feel alzheimerish at my age).

Need to reread TEA before I can say much else, speaking of forgettyness -- I read it over a year ago!

Date: April 18, 2003 05:22PM

We just call it CRS disease... Can't Remember Shhhhhhhhtuff :)

Date: April 18, 2003 05:22PM

by the way, what is " lj " ?? if you don't mind my asking!

Date: April 18, 2003 05:25PM

I'm afraid I don't recall either--I've been wracking my brain trying to recall what it was called myself, or at least what it was about, and it isn't coming to me.

BTW, In the annotated bit of TEA elsewhere on this site, there's a pop up link with a sample issue of the Mole, containing stories about both Humpty Dumpty's demise, and the acquital of the three pigs for murdering the wolf.

I do remember Jasper's remark about Queen Victoria reading Alice in Wonderland, and, having enjoyed it, asking to be given all the author's other works--which resulted in the delivery of a large stack of books of quadratic equations.

I'm currently rereading TEA, then I'll reread LIAGB. I haven't actually read either since last October myself. I only just got my trade paperback of LIAGB back 2 weeks ago, from someone I'd leant it to in November.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Carla (---.zen.co.uk)
Date: April 18, 2003 06:33PM

I'm not saying anything...

i had to re-read both books before WOLP as well to remind me of stuff

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 18, 2003 09:41PM

Hello newbies! Please keep posting - most people turn up, say 'hi' (or ask about bloody dodos in the Forest of Dean) and then disappear back into the ether. Despite (or possibly becasue of) our determined efforts to be nice....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2003 10:36PM

Well done Magda! or Debora, it's great to know that he's as daft as we are (I assume you are daft?) I've been working and lurking, I don't know, disappear for a week and the world goes mad and my brain isn't functioning too well at the moment.

I'm glad you took your Pickwick, I won't feel out of place when I take mine to Swindon when I see Jasper, maybe we can start a trend! At least he'll be fore warned of the nutters in the audience anyway.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: April 18, 2003 11:37PM

I answer to either name, actually.

Summary of name dichotomy:

I'm in a medeival/reniassance recreation group (the SCA) in which I go by Lady Magdalena Vogelsang. Because there are other Deboras in the local group, folks I know there (most of my friends) are in the habit of always calling me Magda, and many feel it fits me better. I also usually use Magda as an online name. I'm still Debora at work, and to the government, folks at church, and so forth, and I will always be Debbie to my parents (if I like it or not).

Summary of above summary:

My legal name is Debora, but Magda is a nickname of sorts.

And since Jasper has stated categorically that all of us on the Fforum are quite mad, I'd hardly contradict him by claiming not to be daft.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 18, 2003 11:50PM

Only 'quite' mad?

*rushes off as he's realised that he hasn't taken his pills again*

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 19, 2003 12:24PM

Well, some of us are likely madder than others.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 19, 2003 04:47PM

After all, it would be quite difficult for us all to attain precisely the same level of insanity.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2003 04:57PM

Well, now we can find out.

[www.penddraig.co.uk]

Apparently I'm 42% insane. (or possibly sane. I'm a bit confused, too.)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.