New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Names
Posted by: Mask (---.114.149.111.plusnet.thn-ag1.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 24, 2008 07:52AM

As a new convert to the Thursday Next books, I'm only halfway through the second one. (I'm a slow reader, and limited opportunities to read anyway, but I'm getting there)

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say, I'm loving the wordplay on the character names. And every time I see the name Jack Schitt it makes an extra smile, and I'll share with you why.

My daughter was in the maternity ward after having her baby boy, and started chatting to another new mum, with a baby boy.

"what's his name" she asked, "Jack" says the other new mum. "Oh, I like the name Jack, but with my surname of Smith, it reminded me too muck of Jack Shit" laughed my daughter.

"my surname is Smith" stated the other new mum.

Luckily she transfered to her local maternity unit not long afterwards, so didn't have to endure the cringing every time she saw the other lady.:D

Re: Names
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-193-42.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 24, 2008 08:09AM

Eek, very unfortunate!

Posted by: Karen (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 06, 2008 12:21AM

I like the story Mask.

On a similar theme; I was having a minor medical procedure and as I tend to do, was chatting to the nurse out of nervousness mainly to fill the time and take my mind of things when somehow the topic of tatoos came up. I said (and usually I am quite tactful) that I didn't really "get" tatoos myself, as they often look ugly and then you're stuck with them forever. Of course the nurse says she has a tatoo. Instead of shutting up I said oh, but hey what about those nuts who get sayings or things put on themselves! Yes you guessed it she had that too, Still *was it the anaesthetic?* oh well have you heard those stories about people who get sayings in another language and it turns out that rather than an ancient wise saying it translates to "gullible tourist" or something. Silence. Hers is in ancient language and no she hadn't heard of any such cases. I then smoothly (not) reached for my Medicare Card and spoke about billing and felt terrible and try not to catch her eye when I have to return there from time to time.

Does anyone else find themselves making awkward conversation at doctors', hairdressers etc when really it would be best to shut up!?

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 06, 2008 06:46AM

I get a bit tongue-tied around people like my head of department and people I admire (for example; like Neil Gaiman). I'm sometimes not even sure why... But I should never have learned to blush. Damn Colin!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: October 06, 2008 08:49AM

I make awkward conversation with barbers. Usually they try to talk and all I want to do is close my eyes and wait for the whole ordeal to finish. Oh, the woe. Conversation with dentists is awkward for entirely more practical reasons, even though they don't seem to realise you can't speak with tools poking around your mouth!

Date: October 06, 2008 09:31AM

My dentist is a bit strange. Whilst making my gums bleed, he tells me "it is true love" and his favourite bit of being a dentist.

Date: October 06, 2008 10:05AM

Oh, that's quite... lovely. It's amazing what dentistry and anaesthetic gas can do to people's minds.

Date: October 06, 2008 10:16AM

Indeed, I haven't any desire (amorous or practical) to se hime any time soon! I expect dentists go a bit funny in the head from being in such close proximity to all those bicuspids.

Date: October 06, 2008 10:22AM

Indeed. (A word which makes certain of my housemates erupt in laughter). Indeed!

Date: October 06, 2008 10:26AM

My brother and I have whole conversations of indeed, I always think of Terry Pratchett's conversation in (was it Nightwatch?) that included the "Indeed, I see you are standing upright" line. Indeed, a loaded word.

Date: October 06, 2008 10:30AM

Indeed!

Date: October 06, 2008 10:33AM

Indeedy

(P.s. that one was Rimmer)
(I really shouldn't have to get up early for work (damn daylight saving), it makes me silly)

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 06, 2008 10:47AM

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Date: October 06, 2008 10:59AM

After a very recent (a few seconds ago) epic bout of holding on the phone. EVERYTHING now seems silly. It's amazing how £5 worth of muzak can totally destroy all sense whatsoever. Bring back the dentists, all is forgiven.

<Signs 'I am a fish', salutes, and then faints.>

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:57PM

I think all my nervous conversations have been just before piercings. Oh, and one very odd conversation during some minor surgery.
I'm always reminded of Anges Nitt, who told told Nanny she didn't need to be talked to like a frightened idiot, then five minutes later asked to be talked to that way a little more.
Don't seem to get nervous meeting people though, even if I do adore them (terry, jasper, neil, etc)

Date: October 06, 2008 11:46PM

Ha!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 04:27AM

Brings to mind Marty Robbins song : 'The story of my life'.

I have got so used to saying the wrong thing now I do it with an air of innocence and try tpo make those offended by any gaffes fell that it is their fault for being there. Whether it works or not I don't feel any shame any more. Mind you , it's taken about 60 years to reach this state.

Date: October 07, 2008 08:44AM

Gaffes are the order of the day when you're in a Maths department. We unwittingly insult each other so often that it's barely noticed any more.

E.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 07, 2008 12:10PM

I seem to semi-permanently have my foot in my mouth, I can live with that!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 01:01PM

Does it make eating and drinking difficult? Not to mention what it oculd do to breath...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.