New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Better mousetrap
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 07, 2008 12:00AM

Indeed!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 04:11AM

Says a lot for those who practise 'Mormonism' or whatever it is called.

I would like to start a rebellion in Oz against cookies. For two hundred years in Oz we have called them 'biscuits', be they savoury or sweet, but since C*mpb*lls have bought Arsnotts everyone is calling them 'cookies'.

According to Dr Karl biscuit comes from bisq - a word known and loved by potters- while cookies comes from a Dutch word meaning baked.

When I said about this language change he couldn't see it as being a loss of national identity. I must admit that, like with many things, the experience of actually meeting the person/object seen on tv is less than the expectation.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 05:40AM

Er, trust me, you don't want to confuse these cookies with ordinary biscuits.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 05:43AM

Oh, and to explain the mormon part- One of these 'friends'- not actually my friend, I don't like them at all, but part of the social group at the caravan park we used to stay at- offered some of said cookies to some Mormons who were spreading the word, and they ate quite a few, then took him to court when they realised what had happened (mormon's can't go to heaven if they have any drugs or something like that- not entirely sure) and made international headlines.
Apparently they were only offered a couple, but the munchies kicked in and it got a bit messy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 05:44AM by Bonzai Kitten.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.11.183.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: October 07, 2008 10:24AM

I thought (please correct me if I'm wrong) that cookies were baked once and biscuits baked twice.

Date: October 07, 2008 10:43AM

In the 14th century, potters discovered it was @#$%& and easier to handle biscuit fired stuff than raw, when glazing and whatnot. Biscuit/bisque firing is meant to mean baked twice, though I think maybe that only really applies to biscuits for travel (if talking about the food).

<Closes encylopedic mouth>

Date: October 07, 2008 10:44AM

In the 14th century, potters discovered it was @#$%& and easier to handle biscuit fired stuff than raw, when glazing and whatnot. Biscuit/bisque firing is meant to mean baked twice, though I think maybe that only really applies to biscuits for travel (if talking about the food).

<Closes encylopedic mouth>

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.11.183.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: October 07, 2008 10:59AM

Thank you (twice) I didn't know and hadn't found out before. (About the food)

Date: October 07, 2008 11:04AM

You are very welcome! I can usually remember all kinds of useless bits of information like that. It is because I went through a stage of wanting to know everything as a kid. Everything excepting Maths.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 07, 2008 12:31PM

Agree with the cookie statement, they are biscuits. And why all of a sudden do we need "Oreos" - there are plenty of chocolate cream biscuits here already without importing american ones!

Now McVities Chocolate Digestives are a completely different kettle of fish.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 07, 2008 12:33PM

Must say that I love the idea of something used to solve the munchies, giving you the munchies. What do you do then ... Eat more?

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 12:48PM

No, then you are very very sick and either discover the error of your ways or have to start all over again.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 01:11PM

Generally one makes nachos.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 07, 2008 03:35PM

Bibwit: I am still like that. Although I like maths too.

I just seem to make mistakes in my exams....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: October 08, 2008 09:53AM

Oh good, thanks Martin! Shame about the maths...

I found the trick to tests and examinations was to write everything out several times, beginning with from books and then from memory. I got very sore wrists, but it seemed to work.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: October 08, 2008 11:22AM

My trick was to practice past papers for a couple of months before the exams and then crumple afterward. That's probably not useful for pre-university courses though.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: October 08, 2008 02:40PM

My trick was to procrastinate, go out with mates the night before the exam, then try and cram on the bus to school.

Oddly enough, my VCE score wasn't that great.

The one exam I blitzed I rocked up for an hour and a half late because I forgot it was on and was watching cartoons (videos of Arrgh Real Monsters, for those who need to know!). I maintain it was the lack of trying to cram for it that nailed it.

(That, plus it was English, basically the only subject I actually understood)

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: October 08, 2008 03:22PM

Egon: Ya. Well, I am passing MAT 1 so far this year. (Third time is the charm I guess.... *sigh*)

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.199.242.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: October 09, 2008 10:16AM

I cheated by hiding all the knowledge in my head and then peeking at it during the exam.......right up until uni where parties and other interesting stuff meant that I didn't collect the knowledge first.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 08:21PM

The trouble with hiding knowledge in your head, is getting it all back out again - you grow old still reciting the five major glove manufacturing towns of the North East and poems about Adlestrop.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.