New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Recycled MC's
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 27, 2008 04:55PM

Has anyone noticed how the same main characters keep turning up in different books? Okay, I know Jane Austen and Dickens recycled the same 5 people over and over, but I'm talking about sharing between individual authors.

I'm re-reading Koontz for the umpteenth time (I've lost my book of similes and metaphorical rhetoric, but "By the Light of the Moon" does pretty much the same task). An independently minded, straight-talking female character with a string of one-liners, somewhat irritating but handy to have by your side in a scrap ... to all intents and purposes, Jilly is Molly Grue from Peter S. Beagle's "The Last Unicorn" with a different hat on.

If you consider sci-fi and fantasy probably occupying at least adjacent sections in the Bookworld library shelves, and that both the above-mentioned are considered gently humerous, then there is a connection.

Which got me thinking. Evidently, Bookworld characters are at their most busy during the vacation season (all those beach and plane reads, if you're going abroad. All those impromptu trips to the nearest library to sit out the downpour, if you're a brit holidaying at home) So now would be the time for the BW personnel to take THEIR annual holiday, wouldn't you think?

Anyone else noticed this?
Sorry. On topic again.

Re: Recycled MC's
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 28, 2008 07:13AM

Oh no, I sense a recurrence of the 'Sherlock Holmes really is Captain Pugwash' debacle.

<goes back into hiding behind giant grog barrel>

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: September 28, 2008 03:08PM

I still maintain that Pugwash is really Mr Sowerberry.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 28, 2008 08:39PM

I always thought that Captain Pugwash as just a geneneric idea waiing for Ian McKellan or Tim Curry waiting to take him over

Recycled MC's
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 29, 2008 06:24AM

I thought this was gonna be about repetitious rappers...

I had to quit reading Koontz-
during my last attempt, I realized that it was actually the song "ME & YOU & A DOG NAMED BOO" stretched out to book length-
not to mention the most boring alien ever...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.