New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
sadism with french cheese
Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 15, 2003 05:26PM

Richard and Judy are up to bizarre stuff again. This time they are testing a new scientific theory that we become used to strong and unpleasant smells more quickly than nice ones (er...)
First was a short Benny-Hill type sequence with three volunteers approaching different sorts of smelly cheese, and stopping when they came within range of the smell. An infamous French cheese - once banned by Napoleon - was the outright winner.
The three volunteers were then put in a small room with a portion of the french cheese. A 'Scientist' wearing a white lab coat, with a clothes peg on his nose, uncovered the cheese and stood by to watch. The volunteers were writhing in their chairs within seconds. Richard suggested that the first one to faint or run away should be made to eat the cheese.
Will the volunteers have got used to the smell of the cheese by the end of the programme ?
Is this science, or an excuse to have a good laugh ?

Re: sadism with french cheese
Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: April 15, 2003 05:29PM

Damn the French!

"Some days I diet, other days they serve lasagne."

Date: April 15, 2003 05:31PM

Should we invade them for producing what is quite clearly some dreadful form of biological weapon ?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 15, 2003 06:09PM

Tastes gorgeous though, as does that weird Durian fruit (sp?) that smells like a corpse but tastes great...

And no, it isn't science...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 15, 2003 06:38PM

Judy rather liked the cheese, but Richard remarked that it smelt like a teenage boy's bedroom.

Date: April 15, 2003 09:28PM

And what's wrong with that, I have to ask?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 15, 2003 10:42PM

You're not a teenager any more, remember. Why so defensive ?

Date: April 15, 2003 10:49PM

I was until what seems like recently...

And my bedroom is currrently messier than it ever was then...

PSD

==========

Date: April 15, 2003 11:01PM

Can't be any worse than mine - I'm not even sure where the bed is.
Still I've got friends coming round tomorrow (I hope) to help me get the place straight

Date: April 15, 2003 11:12PM

Hope you can find the bed when I come to visit you...

(Ican find mine - it's the lump that isn't clothes

PSD

==========

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: April 16, 2003 11:40AM

PSD: Why would Skiffle being able to find her bed be of any interest to you ? Surely you'll be staying on the sofa. One can't enter a lady's boudair unless you're engaged, can one ?

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 07:15PM

Absolutely! The only male who enters my boudoir is Wilfred the penguin, who is, of course, different. In every sense.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 16, 2003 07:17PM

Rob --> I absolutely agree. I want her to be able to find the bed so she isn't forced to share a sofa with me...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 16, 2003 07:28PM

Not to mention the two cats, of course!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: April 17, 2003 10:08AM

PSD: Good. I'm glad to hear it.

Date: April 20, 2003 12:29AM

And not a little sceptical, I dare say...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2003 01:04AM

Bed found ! After about 2 hours of clearing stuff out of bedroom with help of 6 able-bodied friends (not kidding). Almost everything from the games room had been shifted into the bedroom, which means not just my clutter, but some belonging to Iain F and to Mike (who moved to Kent 6 years ago..). Oh, and everything and everywhere (and everyone, eventually) was filthy from re-roofing and new skylights being put in.

Iain F took some of his clutter away, but I still have his train sets and his sledge, as well as Mike's old fish tank and his bullet reload machine.

Uncovered, amongst other things, octagonal 'Stop' road sign, polystyrene standee for 'Police Acadamy 2' and Iain's high school note books.

After roughly four hours effort, all the stuff that needed to be back in the games room was; bedroom and games room had been vacuumed; bed had been reassembled (choice of two identical bedheads ?); I was shattered.

Next day my right thigh ached so badly I could barely walk and only went down stairs one step at a time.

Contents of living room and some kitchen and bedroom items, still piled together at this point. Updates later

Date: April 21, 2003 01:21AM

Keep going - you'll get there in the end! Possibly... And if you need cheering up there's always sympathy available here... Good to see you back about, btw, I was starting to get lonely.

Post Edited (04-21-03 02:40)

PSD

==========

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2003 08:16PM

Awww, you missed me.
I'm not very good at throwing things accurately either.

Date: April 21, 2003 10:20PM

Er, have no idea what you mean by not being able to throw things accurately, and seriously hope that you're unaware of my appalling darts performance this evening....

PSD

==========

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.