New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
And today's headlines were ...
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 09:03PM

Front page headlines of this morning's news:

"The truth about my gastric band, by Fern Britton.

THE DAY WE ALL TOOK A POUNDING!!!"

Exclamation marks are mine - it read like it needed them.
The Daily Mail, eh? You couldn't make it up. Well, actually, THEY do - all the time, but you know what I mean.

Re: And today's headlines were ...
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: October 25, 2008 10:33PM

The local paper where Mum lives lead with the worlds most boring headline (fair enough, it's small town local news) something about a school open day.

Tucked away on page five I found "Naked Man Causes Disturbance" and the details of a 'near naked' chap who went on a bit of a spree.

I think Sacharissa might be in change of the newsroom there. Apparently they didn't get the naked man's name.

Posted by: Quert Ecciborrd (---.freedom2surf.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 01:00AM

The worst headline i've ever heard was on the local news (main story!!!) here in East Anglia:

"A strange humming noice has been keeping people awake in a small village in Suffolk."

I quote that word. for. word. I wrote it down, you see.

Date: October 26, 2008 01:45AM

Quert Ecciborrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The worst headline i've ever heard was on the
> local news (main story!!!) here in East Anglia:
>
> "A strange humming noice has been keeping people
> awake in a small village in Suffolk."
>
> I quote that word. for. word. I wrote it down, you
> see.

Ha! I know the area well. That noise was probably the sound of all the visitors, zzzzzing themselves off to sleep.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.brnt.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 12:00AM

My favourite was very recently when I read the headline: "Tramp gets reward after finding Paul McCartney's head in a bin".

At first I thought I'd completely missed what would have been a pretty huge story, then I read the article and found out what it was actually talking about (a waxwork head, for anyone who hasn't heard of it!)...

Date: October 27, 2008 02:11AM

It's amusing what sticks in your mind after reading these headlines. I keep getting a mental image of Fern Britton just after having had her gastric band removed. The looks of horror on the faces of the medical staff, the ominous rumbling sound as her body morphologically restores itself ... a total re-enactment of that scene in the 'Nutty Professor,' when Eddie Murphy's body returns in a great, gollumphing tidal wave of excess flesh.

Horrible.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 04:04AM

I used to have a few books by Fritz Spiegel, who collected this type of stuff.

The one that sticks in my mind is from our now defunct evening newspaper which reported: 'S T A MEN TO BE ARMED'
and I immediately thought of pistils.

# S T A was State Transport Authority and they didn't get armed, but, to paraphrase Milligan, they were allowed to keep their legs.

Jack Smart, former Professor of Philosophy in this town lived in the eastern suburbs and his local paper had an article on the need for new drains in the local area, with the resulting headline of: New sewers for Paradise. He sent a copy to the aforementioned Spiegel.

Since 'spiegel' has a germanic connection with a looking glass I have often wondered if it is/was a pseudonym, but have never been bothered to find out. Perhaps someone with more get up and go has an answer.

I think Nigel Rees also published a book on these types of headlines, but I might be mistaken. He published one on graffiti in which the : 'My mother made me a homosexual' had the response of 'If I gave her the wool, would she make me one?'

The books disappeared while I lived overseas so i can't refer to either of them.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 31, 2008 09:08PM

Have just come back from Suffolk, where I watched a local news item about a lady who had died. As they showed footage of the outside of the house the voice over said "following an autopsy the police are able to confirm there was nothing suspicious about her death".

Posted by: Mask (---.cdht.org)
Date: November 01, 2008 02:22AM

[www.thesun.co.uk]

That was on another message board I go to. That's a headline to get your teeth into (or maybe not ;P) And in the ariticle, just in case you don't know what a potato looks like, they've kindly included a photo.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 01, 2008 12:43PM

A very plausible story - if it was in fiction no-one would believe that story. Reminds me of an incident involving an female evening newsreader and a disappearing VB stubby. But I have probably gone to far already. This was way back in 1989, pre-internet days and it maybe urban legend.

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: November 01, 2008 01:50PM

Last week in a nearby village: "Dead woman found in cemetery". Every time (*) I see or hear this type of headline I get the meaning wrong until I learn the full story.

(*) believe me, people do die in cemeteries every now and then

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.