New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Spooky mailings ...
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.222.150.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:25AM

CannibalRabbit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Is Hello-e'en a new festive season conjured up by
> those cunning marketing people.

No - just a curious mainly unwanted intrusion into British life by a U.S. holiday, driven by t.v. programs, admittedly with the collusion of cunning marketing people.
What next? Thanksgiving Day?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:29AM

Yes, thanksgiving day, celebrating that we are not American.

Apologies OC Not, and other US Fforumites; I like specific Americans.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 11:05AM

Think Halloween is Irish rather than American - also suspect Thanksgiving has Irish origins - as in thank God we're here eating turkey and not back in Ireland eating mouldy potatoes.

So hands up all the Victorian absentee Irish landowners amongst us, SK and CR want to know who to blame.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.114.134.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: November 19, 2008 11:47AM

All Hallows Eve if a very old trans-European festival, it is the trick-or-treat door-to-door Halloween that I am talking about.

Isn't Thanksgiving a celebration of the Pilgrim Fathers and American Indians holding a meal before starting to kill each other over not using the correct pc names? If so it is a U.S. festival started by the dispossessed British and the previous immigrants.......

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:10PM

Concur:
Trick or Treating - bad
All Hallows Eve - merely evil

Thanksgiving starts with Turkey and potatoes and ends in massacre - isn't that Christmas?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.114.134.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:30PM

As America hadn't been invented, there could not have been any spuds or turkey at the first Christmas dinner. I don't want to offend Christians - mainly 'coz I am one - but otherwise, that seems pretty accurate.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 01:02PM

Sorry to be such an awful bore, but just to set this back on topic for an itsy-weeeeny moment (That's it, people - mass exodus time. Oh, alright then, you know where the P G Tips and cakes are)

This is the latest 'job offer' in my mailbox from EuLance. I normally just quickly peruse the 500+ bids already placed before logging out again. Its a 'free' site, meaning you have to be in there the moment jobs are posted to have a chance in hell of success.

"Hello,
I have a new community forum, and I want a forum poster who post threads and reply on my forum, this is simple copy paste job. You only need to copy specific posts (threads) from other forums (I will provide you the list of urls) and paste them to my own forum.
I need total of 300 posts to be copy and paste, this is not a lengthy work so if you have a team of 8 or 10 peoples that will be great. I need to complete this project ASAP within 1 day, please read following points carefully.
You must be a team preferably 8 or 10 peoples.
You must have multiple rotating IP system, I don’t want all post comes on same IP, so you must have multiple IP system.
I will provide you 10 different username and password for postings. So you don’t have to worry about creating accounts.
The selected provider must complete the task within 24 hours. (No exceptions)

The maximum budget of this project is 30$. The bids higher from this amount will be deleted.
Please submit your past forum posting experience through PM.
More details through PM
Happy bidding."

Not surprisingly, there were no bids - 11 hours after posting. Wonder why?

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 01:06PM

EgonSpengler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm. The Bond books are overrated and usually
> bear marginal resemblance to the films of the same
> name. Bizarrely I like Timmy Dalton 'The Living
> Daylights' but please don't deduct points for that
> alarming lack of taste.

Oooohhh yes, but Timothy Dalton as Mr Rochestr was soooo much sexier! (Swoon.)
Gosh, was there a plug for the Eyre Affair in there somewhere?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: November 21, 2008 12:14AM

I think, Jazz, that has just shaken my faith in humanity.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 04:13AM

Just following this thread slightly, but am I correct in thinking there is going to be a James Bond movie where the bad guy (can't spell villian properly today) threatens to steal all the world's supply of chocolate at Halloe'en and threaten to sublet the job by posting it on the net for individual contractors to complete the task?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 21, 2008 10:01AM

Sounds about right to me! Mind you I've been in a conference for the past couple of days, so the brain is a little addled.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:57PM

I thought the plan was to contaminate the worlds chocolate with fondant, thus rendering it inedible, and raising the value of the villain's own chocolate to obscene levels?

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 04:43AM

That's just the PG rated version.

In the M version all the victims are all tied to posts, liberally coated with chocolate just to a point beyond the reach of their lips and tongues and forced to watch reruns of E Street, Crossroads, and New Faces 1976. And then the evil starts........

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: December 06, 2008 11:34AM

Sounds like a saturday night at my lai, er, place.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.