New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
So now we know ...
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: November 26, 2008 10:39PM

... what our favourite author does on his afteroons off.
Here's a little exercise: Beg, borrow or buy the latest edition of New Scientist magazine, dated 22nd November (it's the one with the Time Wars headline on the front, and if that's not a clue I don't know what is.)

Now do what I always do - skip all the mind boggling quantum concepts and go straight to the back page, to the 'Last Word' Q and A section. Allow the eye to drift down to 'This week's question: Cavorting Cavities.'

Boggle away.

My answer is, it probably depends on how much Battenburg cake you've consumed beforehand, Mr Not-so-anonymous (for more on this, see p.27, top of)

Oh, alright then. I found it the analog way. But here's the link. Just scroll downwards ...

[www.newscientist.com]

Re: So now we know ...
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: November 27, 2008 01:27PM

I wonder if it's something to do with drilled-into nerves, coz I've got a couple of fillings now and I have found the same thing.
It also happens when I jump up and down in lifts.

*cough*

Not that I do that *all* the time.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: November 27, 2008 01:29PM

ah, screw it, I'll ask Dr Carl, he'll say "I don't know," and ask for an expert to phone in. Usually does the trick.

Date: November 27, 2008 02:42PM

Thing is, anyone submitting a question has no idea when that question will be published - if at all. So how did he know when to send this in so it would be in EXACTLY the same edition as the one relating to the ChronoGuard? I mean, "Time Wars"?! Come on...

And as far as I'm concerned, layer cake (see p27) is just Battenburg with entropy issues.

Clump clump clump clump, clump clumpetty clump clump ... tra la laaa (to the tune of A Weigh in a Manger)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2008 02:48PM by Jazz_Sue.

Date: November 27, 2008 02:56PM

I'm just wondering whether trampolining features in the next book. Or if it's an activity that stimulates the old brain cells, like Terry P going Hill walking, or Dean Koontz walking his dog. Trust this man to be different.

<Imagination of another person's imagination overload: Hmmm ... My father (boing, boing) had a face ... (boing, somersault, boing-boing) ... that could stop ...(boingdiddy - ow! - boing) a clock.>

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: November 28, 2008 04:02AM

I wonder if bungi jumping has the same effect.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 28, 2008 09:33AM

It's quantum, thats what it is. Do you get the same thing when you go over a hump-back bridge. You have to wonder about authors, or indeed anyone, who keeps taking photos of the same phone box.

JS, the tune sounded more like "Nellie the Elephant" from where I'm reading.

Date: November 28, 2008 09:19PM

Ah, I think I've just discovered why I wasn't picked for this year's carol concert.

Date: November 30, 2008 11:29PM

JS, is this "A Weigh in a Manger" something sung by slimmers at Christmas?

"God Dressed Ye Merry Gentlemen": sung by outfitters of clerical clothing?

In the spirit of the season, and in trampolining from one topic to another, further homophonic Yuletide musical offerings are hereby invited.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 02:15AM

Is the alternative lifestylers' carol: Don we now our gay apparel?

Then there's: 'Hark the hairy angels sing', and the mute member of King Arthur's Court: Silent Knight; the thing we all wish at the midwinter/summer(for southern hemisphere) feast: 'The Bore's Head'; and the topers' carol: God bless ye merry gentlemen.

Have you ever thought that Jesus was born in a manger as it was a healthier place than the inn? Programs such 60 minute [size, not temporal] (brain cells) have shown that modern hostelries a have walls covered in sh*t, and that's not even the paint colour. Going back 2000 years or so the health standards were probably less adequate than they are now, whereas farmers took good care of their animals. So it stands to reason that the stable was a healthier place to have a baby than an inn.

Date: December 01, 2008 02:58AM

"Oh, Come Mall! Ye faithful", Bogan's song for any time of the year.

(for the non-antipodeans, I know we've discussed it before, but a bogan is sort of like a mildly violent urban hillbilly but not quite as hygenic)

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: December 01, 2008 12:08PM

"A Whey in a manger" - a song about the creative hideaways of a desperate Cheese Smuggler.

"Jesus Christ Superstar, flying 'round the corner on his Yamaha..."

Date: December 02, 2008 12:08AM

"With reekings from Orient are": Durian-sellers go caroling.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: December 02, 2008 05:21AM

I bought one once, it cost me five dollars exactly. I went out for end of Semester drinks with a student run group I was involved with at the time and took the durian with me. Nearly everybody wanted to know what is was, including random people from the bar who were complete strangers. Made an interesting conversation stater.

So anybody looking to meet people, take a durian to the bar with you. It also doubles as a weapon for late night train trip defense against lecherous drunks.

I did taste it, and discovered that it was mildly edible after caramelising it first in a pan and then making it into a chapati with flour and nutmeg. But never again.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: December 04, 2008 01:58PM

(mumbles about quite liking durian, at least, in Singapore)

Date: December 05, 2008 12:11AM

Kitten - stop mumbling!
Durian is delicious, it's just that its smell resembles the most heinous offence that one can commit in an elevator (no, not "jumping up and down").

In most Asian hotels, its consumption is banned indoors.

"Hokum - All Ye Faithful!": atheist carol sung as congregation emerges from church.

Date: December 05, 2008 03:46AM

the mountain fornicators carol: 'Ding dong merrily on high.', and I'm not going to touch the 'Sussex Carol' coz I don't know where she's been. But 'the Holly and the Ivy' are two ladies of uncertain repute, while in the northern hemisphere it obvious that 'Wniter's S now'. All 'The Truth from Above' does is confirm Eric Frank Russell's assertion of the seagull's tactical advantage over man.

It all ends up with 'What Child is This?'

PS: I'm not that knowledgeable about carols*, just that I found [www.christmas-carol-music.org] which gives a good source of inspiration.

* The only knowledge of Carols is:

I took my girlfriend to a function in the dark
It turned out to be quite a lark
Following the pleasure
we now at our leisure
are looking for Carol's by candlelight in the park.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 03:55AM by bunyip.

Date: December 05, 2008 07:05PM

"I saw three ships come sailing in (on Christmas day, on Christmas day)
Somalian pirates took them away (on Christmas day in the morning)"

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: December 06, 2008 11:44AM

Jazz, you crack me up!

I'm so very glad you exist :D

Date: December 07, 2008 02:59AM

I second that motion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.