New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mr. X as Jack Shitt
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2003 06:59PM

when you envision Jack Schitt (or Brik Shitt-Hawse) who do you see?

for some reason I always see Hugo Weaving who played the baddie Agent Smith in "The Matrix" and also plays Elrond in "The Lord of the Rings" movies.

But I always picture Jack Schitt wearing the same kind of "company" suits and sunglasses like Agent Smith did in "The Matrix" with the same kind of demeanor. Oh and of course, you know he HAS to have that same 'dry' sounding voice.

So anyway, Hugo Weaving is my vote to play Jack Schitt and Brik Shitt-Hawse - they may only be half-brothers, but you know, they can make him look just different enough!

Re: Mr. X as Jack Shitt
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 18, 2003 07:08PM

There's a picture of the CEO on the Goliath website:

[www.goliathcorp.com]

Date: April 18, 2003 07:20PM

LOL, wonder who that is!

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2003 11:20AM

Oooh, that's spooky, i re-read liagb last night and was just wondering if the fforum had ever had a casting thread.

i figured alan rickman for acheron, ardal o'hanlon for joffy. I'm sure i had thought of a mycroft, but i can't remember now. It was the ardal thing that started me off, it occured to me that he'd be perfect.

i like the hugo weaving idea for jack schitt, too.

ooh, and anthony stewart head for thursday's dad. Just because I would cast him in everything ever.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2003 03:45PM

We did that ages ago in the 'old' fforum. I seem to remember going on a rant about it...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 19, 2003 03:55PM

Sounds so unlike you ;o)

What were the decision, then?

Date: April 19, 2003 04:00PM

There wasn't one (check out the thread in the old fforum - miles down but worth it) but my actual quote includes the following:

-------------------------------------------
God, can you imagine the Hollywood (Goliath?) treatment. Imagine the board meeting on that one - "Well we love the book, Mr Fforde, but we'd like to change a few things...

1) The whole book thing, although we might mention them in passing, but we can't afford to alienate people who might be concerned that there's any art involved in the movie.

2) This alternate history. What our audiences want is good, simple, accurate history like Saving Private Ryan and U-571

3) England. It's a very English book, but we can't let English people ruin it for an American audience. Could we possibly just keep a token English character to add a chance for the Yanks to be patronising at somebody? This Hades guy might be good as a Brit though...

4) The names. I mean 'Thursday Next'? Jeez, were you writing it in your diary and got confused or what? Throw us a freakin' bone here..."

Basically you'd end up with 'Notting Hill 2 - The Boredom Returns'...
-----------------------------------------------------------

I have strange suspicion that this was my first post to the fforum, actually. It was amusing to see all the psd halmarks already there (wobbly typing, unjustifiable rants, maniuc enthusiasm) and later on i also predicted that Mr Ff would attract fanatical fans. I wasn't planning on including myself among them at that stage, but...

Also interesting to see how many of the posts were from people who are still regulars.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 19, 2003 04:00PM

Jasper was asked in Dayton about who he would cast as Thursday in a movie version. He said it would have to be an unknown, because these books require complete suspension of disbelief, and he'd want us to see the character, not a familiar actress pretending to be the character.

He also said that at this stage he's told his film rights agent that he's not interested in anyone doing a movie unless they want him to do it (presumably meaning the screenplay adaptation). He personally thought it might work better as something like 8 hours of television, or a set of DVD's you can watch whenever you like, rather than a feature film.

He did add a caveat that it was always possible that in a few years we'd see a headline reading "Fforde sells movie rights for 8 million dollars. When asked about his lack of creative control Fforde said 'No, I have no problem with it.' and headed to the bank to cash his check."

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: April 19, 2003 04:06PM

Hell, I would....

PSD

==========

Date: April 19, 2003 04:06PM

8 hours of TV would be great, yeah. And you could make it British, too.

I just read the old thread...see somebody said Alan Rickman before me. Tho I suppose he gets cast as every baddie everywhere.

Aah, I can't decide whether I want this to happen or not, really, the books are so perfect, something would be bound to be spoiled by the transition.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 19, 2003 04:54PM

This is going to be entirely predictable to those who know me well, but I'd like to see Paul Darrow in any film version. No, *not* as any kind of villain. I'd like him to play Uncle Mycroft, just for the joy of it - he's got a wonderful sense of humour and can handle a comic role with great aplomb. It's a real shame that he seems to have ended up being thought of as the person you get if you can't get Alan Rickman!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 19, 2003 05:57PM

And eneitrely predictable to those of us who don't know you well...

A spin-off series with the adventures of pickwick would still be cool...

PSD

==========

Date: April 19, 2003 08:22PM

hehehe, I think *I* was the one who suggested Alan Rickman. It's just that when he plays baddies, he plays them so deliciously! I always remember him in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. I think that same "deliciousness" is called for to play Acheron Hades....don't ya think?!?!

And as far as the 8 hour teleseries, that would be cool as long as they showed it in the US at the same time so I wouldn't have to wait a year or two!

Date: April 19, 2003 09:52PM

Hades always struck me as a slightly overweight balding insurance salesman, to be honest. You don't want to go giving him any aspect that suggests he'd actually be any good as a master criminal. Hopkins, maybe.

PSD

==========

Date: April 19, 2003 10:03PM

the thing about Rickman playing baddies is that those baddies are always highly flawed and are as such, crap. And that's what makes them so funny. He plays them with this tongue-in-cheek, overblown conviction only the truly bad-wannabes can have. THAT'S why I think he'd be so good as Hades.

Date: April 19, 2003 10:06PM

This is why a film might be ill advised...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 20, 2003 12:23PM

Mr D is very similar - absolutely adores playing baddies, does them well, nearly always gets asked to do them, and so on. (Maybe it's because he's such a great big sweetie in real life? - playing anyone too nice wouldn't be a challenge!) I just feel he shouldn't be typecast, that's all. I think a mad genius role would be just the thing... and if we could persuade Janet Lees Price, his wife, to come out of retirement in order to play Polly, my joy would be complete, although she might have to be padded out a little.

If I remember rightly, Acheron Hades is very tall, so either you'd have to find a very tall actor or do a bit of LOTR-style computerised twiddling. However, I've got a question from the other point of view, just out of interest. Suppose you knew you could get Hugh Grant for such a film. Would you cast him, and if so, what part would you have him in? I have an answer, but I think I'll save it for a while to see what you all think first.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 20, 2003 12:46PM

not sure Hugh would be right, but if he were to be cast, I'd probably want him as Joffy cuz he's such a smart-arse. Either that or Landen. But he'd most likely need to be cast as Landen or Bowden because those are "meatier" roles and you know Hugh would never take a tiny supporting spot.

By the way, for Thursday's dad, Simon Callow (Four Weddings and a Funeral, A Room with a View) keeps coming to mind.

I fell asleep while reading LIAGB the other night and proceeded to dream it as a movie...and Simon Callow, Alan Rickman, Hugo Weaving, Jude Law (as Bowden) and a faceless Thursday were all there. And I keep getting this picture of Mycroft as this grayish wild-haired, nearly Einstein-esque guy in a bad brown cardigan with worn elbow patches and a yellow and tan plaid shirt underneath but I can't figure out what actor he looks like. But I know I should know who it is. It's actually driving me a bit crazy!

Post Edited (04-20-03 14:10)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2003 01:26AM

Are you thinking of Christopher Lloyd ? Played the mad scientist in the 'Back to The future' films. Or Donald Sutherland ?

Date: April 21, 2003 01:31AM

Whose the guy who blew himself up fishing in Monarch of the Glen?

PSD

==========

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.