New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Care and feeding of dodos
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 18, 2003 07:06PM

We all know that dodos love to be given marshmallows as a treat. But what do they eat the rest of the time? This bothered me for quite a while until this morning, in a flash of inspiration, I realised the answer. Dodos surely must eat couscous, and if they need a little extra protein you can give them a bit of agar-agar. Possibly a vitamin B supplement might be a good idea too, to prevent beri-beri, though there are vets who pooh-pooh this suggestion.

There has been some mention of dancing dodos on this Fforum. While dancing is very good exercise for our feathered friends, it is as well to remember that most dodos look only so-so in a ra-ra skirt or a tutu, and pom-poms are a definite no-no. Also, it is best not to encourage them to attempt the can-can, or indeed go-go dancing, especially if your garden is surrounded by a ha-ha into which they might fall.

And finally, no matter how keen a sense of rhythm your dodo possesses, do not be tempted to invest in a tom-tom. You will only regret it.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Re: Care and feeding of dodos
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2003 07:19PM

In LIAGB, Thursday feeds Pickwick some dried fruit.

"Pickwick looked at me and then at her empty food dish with an accusing air."
" 'Sorry,' I muttered as I poured her some dried fruit."

~LIAGB, chapter 31~

(I only knew that because I re-read it and finished this morning! LOL)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 18, 2003 09:25PM

Can I be all boring and scientific again? No? Tough - you can't take my keyboard off me!

Nobody ever bothered to record what dodo's liked eating, quite possibly as they were more concerned with what could make the buggers taste better. However the large, strong beak and their natural habitat, has lead to suggestions that they ate mostly fruit, and could also crack their way into large seeds. Interestingly there is a species of tree whose individuals are all old enough to have co-existed with dodos, and none younger. THis suggests that dodo attack was needed for germination - an interesting thought if ever there was one. It seems sad that the dodo extincton could cause anohter extinction so long afterwards...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2003 10:44PM

do they use anais anais to smell nice (or anus anus as my mother in law asked for at the perfume counter - that is actually true - honest)

Date: April 18, 2003 10:44PM

Kind of like that one kind of trees that rely on cassowaries (sp!?!) to spread their seeds....

Date: April 18, 2003 10:46PM

Exactly the same thing, yup. Isn't there a problem with those too, IIRC?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 19, 2003 04:40PM

Oh, well, if dodos are anything like my Chomsky, they'll eat anything! He snaffled a raw egg this morning. Ridiculous cat...

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: April 19, 2003 06:03PM

Last night I went for a walk up Bredon Hill as I'd heard there was some rock ther (and I 'accidentally' forgot to take my climbing stuff out of my bag) with the dog and my father. On the way back we collected some kindling for the chiminea, and stuck it in my rucksack with a few pieces sticking out the top. On the way home in the car the bag was in the back with my dog. It took precisely two minutes before the first 'crunch' of a stick being chewed was heard... She really can't hep herself. She also prunes roses for us, which can be annoying.

PSD

==========

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 19, 2003 07:34PM

I'm having the opposite problem with my dog. I gave her one of those rawhide bones and she refuses to chew it. Her new favorite game is picking it up and placing it anywhere she is sure I'll trip over it. There's no telling where it will end up, only that it will be a possible source of danger late at night.

Date: April 19, 2003 07:38PM

Rawhide bone? Isn't that for sheepdogs ("Round 'em up...")

Tess does similar kind of things, although her favourite trick is to destuff anything that has foam in it. This was fine, until we came home once to find she'd managed to shred an entire sofa...

PSD

==========

Date: April 19, 2003 07:57PM

Well, she is a belgium shephard. Sadly she lives in the city so the only shepharding she gets to do is nudging me through the apt. But she's terribly good at the nudging bit.

Date: April 19, 2003 07:59PM

Throught the apt? Is this a euphemism I have hitherto been unaware of?

PSD

==========

Date: April 19, 2003 08:02PM

Sorry, through the apartment. Not quite as interesting as through the looking glass but I suppose that depends whose done the shopping.

Post Edited (04-19-03 21:22)

Date: April 20, 2003 12:11PM

I once knew a dachshund who completely destroyed a draught excluder, but that rather pales into insignificance beside the story of the sofa!

Sarah

Date: April 20, 2003 04:00PM

It's only a question of sclae, to be honest. She holds her head at waist height, so she's a fairly meaty hound. She bounced on a collie last night. I don't think it appreciated it.

PSD

==========

Date: April 20, 2003 04:17PM

My ex-husband had a German shepherd for a guide dog. He was neutered (the dog, that is), but this didn't stop him raping any other dog he happened to meet, of whichever sex, and no matter who was present. I put it down to a very twisted sense of humour.

Sarah

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: April 22, 2003 01:10PM

My Dodo likes cheese - eats cheese like people eat chocolate! Big teeth marks in all the cheese in the fridge.

Also olives - yuk! - and favourite game is trying to spit the stones into the fireplace (this usually takes place after he's had a few drinks).

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 09:51PM

Diesel's fond of melon; once I've eaten all I want, I put the rind on the floor and she licks the rest of the juice out. Actually that cat will try almost anything, unlike Skiffle, who has been known to refuse chicken, ham, bacon and beef. they both love yoghurt and creme caramel, but they're only allowed an occasional taste of sweet things.

Date: April 22, 2003 11:49PM

Odin loves dried cranberries and dried apricots. He also has a fondness for ripe strawberries and fresh asparagus. At least they're good for him!

Loki like popcorn and sunflower seeds. (he likes the salty, Odin likes the sweet)

cats are strange, but ever so entertaining!

Date: April 23, 2003 08:05PM

Minsky will go for a tiny spoonful of honey like a crazed drug addict. The other cats aren't interested, though now and then they will sniff to see what he's eating and wander off with "he's mental, that Minsky" expressions on their furry faces.

Chomsky will eat just about anything else. This explains why my gingerbread is currently being left to cool in the bath.

Sarah

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.