New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Retrospective
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 03:16PM

As the end of the world - I mean year, oops! - looms, I'm curious about which book we enjoyed for the first time in 2008.

For me, it was 'To Say Nothing of the Dog' by Connie Willis, unless you want to include 'Complex Analysis' by Priestley and other such Mathematical texts.

Next!

<Leads donkey out of minaret>

<Leads donkey back into minaret>

No, no, cancel that! It was Roger Zelazny: "The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth".

<Leads donkey out of small stationery shop>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 03:20PM by EgonSpengler.

Re: Retrospective
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: December 15, 2008 07:07PM

I've read and reread a number of books this year, but in the absence of a new book by our esteemed Mr. Fforde, they gave me no satisfaction.

No, that's a complete lie.

I very much enjoyed Terry Pratchett's new book Nation, and I absolutely loved The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins.

While we're on the subject of mathematics, I finally read The Man Who Loved Only Numbers, a biography of Paul Erdös, which was excellent. (I also enjoyed my topology textbook, the classic Topology by Munkres.)

Posted by: steeljam (---.range81-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 10:23PM

I too liked Nation by Mr Pratchett.
My daughter lent me her copy of House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne-Jones, the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle. The story was fun but from the start I kept reading the heroine's name as Chairman instead of Charmain!
Also read and enjoyed The Invention of Clouds by Richard Hamblyn about Luke Howard.

-----------------------------------------
Joint winner Colouring Competition 2007
and outright winner of the 3 time winner of the Ffestival Dodo Feeding competition.
Fforde Ffiesta Ffotos are here - [www.flickr.com]

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 08:50AM

I forgot to mention Dashiell Hammett's 'The Glass Key', an excellent crime thriller, which somehow manages to avoid grimness. I'll never understand how he did that. Never.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.220.90.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: December 16, 2008 10:17AM

Nation by PTerry
Declare by Tim Powers
Necrophenia by Robert Rankin

all worked for me.

Posted by: wheelbent (---.range86-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 16, 2008 07:50PM

Lamb (The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal) by Christopher Moore

This is me

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: December 16, 2008 07:56PM

The most astonishing book I read this year was Matt Ruff's "Set This House in Order"

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.brhm.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 16, 2008 09:42PM

House of Many Ways? Steeljam, is this a different sequel to Howl's Moving Castle? I have one that has Sophie as a cat for most of it and a carpet merchant who fell in love with a Princess. My copy is called Castle in the Air. Is it the same plot/story as mine?

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 11:12AM

House of many Ways follows Castle in the Air. Please treasure this info as had to brave bedroom of eldest Little geg and her copy of Calcifer in her fireplace to get it.

Posted by: BibwitHart (194.2.150.---)
Date: December 23, 2008 11:00PM

Now I must search the world for this! I don't think I'll be finding a readbale version in Paris though...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: December 27, 2008 06:56AM

The Book of the Dead.

Found among my father's papers and dating from when he was in Egwhyte during WW2.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: December 27, 2008 12:42PM

Oh dear. My reading hasn't been nearly so intellectual. I think the best *new* book I read this year was Cross Bones, Kathy Reichs.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 27, 2008 11:32PM

we got the dvds, Bones, season 1-3 and I have read the back of the boxes. Does that count?

I also bought mrs.SkidMarks a copy of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary, so if she reads it in the right order, she will have read virtually every book written in the English language..........

edited by moving the keyboard back to it's rightful place and re-typing all the offset 1 char bits

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 10:35AM by SkidMarks.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.range86-143.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 03, 2009 09:09PM

But only if she's allowed to read individual words more than once...

Retrospective
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 11:33AM

I got to read one book that's not officially released til next month:
FOOL- Christopher Moore

Some of you bard fans may find this one particularly entertaining, I'll post more later...

I haven't been around much lately because of all the books I had to read before passing them on last month-
guess I'll have to go through the library lists for the past year-
should take awhile since I go every 3 weeks & check out about 5 books at a time...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: robcraine (217.23.166.---)
Date: January 04, 2009 08:04PM

EgonSpengler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'Complex
> Analysis' by Priestley and other such Mathematical
> texts.

I don't know how many times I've glanced at this thread over the past couple of weeks... but I've only just remembered that I've read that book. Indeed, I believe I own that book*. An invaluable, view changing book indeed.

But as for something I've read this/ last year that's worth recomending...
Bad Science by Ben Goldsmith

* And it currently resides somewhere up in the loft, along with my lecture notes and other exciting souvenirs from ox.ac.uk.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: igorbeathty (---.energis.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: January 05, 2009 12:19PM

I enjoyed Nation by Pterry

And I must admit I read my first Fforde book The Eyre Affair and loved it!!!! I'm officially hooked and ordered the next 3 Thursday Next books off Amazon.

==========================
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.100.113.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: January 05, 2009 01:07PM

Welcome igorbeatty. pull up a pie and make yourself comfy. There are still some mince pies left, but if you are tired of them try our Victorian kidney pies.

Nation is a fine, if different, book from Sir Pterry, isn't it?

And of course the TN series will grip you!!!

Posted by: MuseSusan (69.107.249.---)
Date: January 05, 2009 05:08PM

Are they made from real Victorian kidneys?

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.29-87-b.business.telecomitalia.it)
Date: January 05, 2009 08:02PM

If they are made in Australia they could be real.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.