New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The continuing adventures of President Formby
Posted by: Adrian Lush (212.183.134.---)
Date: January 25, 2009 12:15AM

Well, tonight Mrs Lush and I saw "Ukulelescope", a collection of short silent film clips with comical musical accompaniment from the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, staged as part of Bristol's big annual Slapstick silent film festival. (Yes, the one run by Paul Merton.)

As we got the tickets down off the noticeboard, my mind went on a magical Proustian journey and I recalled that evening at the Fforde Ffiesta when Jon "SkidMarks" of this parish mentioned to me that he knew one of the Ukulele Orchestra's founder members socially, and wouldn't it be funny if we sent them the last signed framed Formby with an explanatory letter? I'd done nothing of the kind, but here was a chance to deliver President Formby right into their hands.

And so we collared one of the Orchestra at the bar afterwards and presented him with the picture. I couldn't remember which specific member you said you knew, Jon, but the one we approached was Dave Suich. I also couldn't remember your surname, so we had to explain at some length about Jasper and the Ffiesta and the picture, and how "this guy we think you know called Jon" suggested we give the last print to the Orchestra.

(Graeme Garden was also there, in the audience, but we didn't jump him for an autograph. We didn't want to look like a pair of nutters.)

So President Formby now has a new home with the Ukulele Orchestra. I've no idea if/how this might go any further. But it's one more small piece of unfinished business, um, finished.

---------------------------------------------------
work is a vampire that sucks me dry
which is a metaphor
but still the reason I stuck a chair leg through my manager

Re: The continuing adventures of President Formby
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 12:18AM

Graeme Garden was there and you didn't jump him for an autograph? What are you, some kind of nutter?

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:50AM

Well, those Goodies are known to be a bit prickly at times. Especially the <cough> Oddie <cough>.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.213.176.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:52AM

Hi Adrian,

I don't in fact know any of the members of the Orchestra, but had been a gopher for someone else - no name dropping here - and so got to meet them in a social setting. They were a great bunch and easy to talk to. As a long-time fan I had to resist the temptation to spoil the meeting by producing loads of stuff for them to sign.

I am glad that the picture now has a good home; my copy (my prize from Mycroft's shed) has pride of place in the kitchen, where it can be much admired by any visitor!

Cheers
Jon

Posted by: Adrian Lush (212.183.134.---)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:23PM

Ah, sorry Jon, I sit corrected. But yes, they are a great bunch and very friendly.

Re Graeme Garden, we had previously stage-doored him at an "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue", so it wasn't as though I'd missed my one and only opportunity. And apparently there'd been an awkward scene during the interval when someone else collared him at the bar, so it would seem he wasn't in an autographing mood.

---------------------------------------------------
work is a vampire that sucks me dry
which is a metaphor
but still the reason I stuck a chair leg through my manager

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: April 30, 2012 11:19PM

I read in a railway magazine that additional trains will run to/from Blackpool in order to cater for the George Formby Convention.

Anyone attending?

Just asking.

Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: May 02, 2012 04:50AM

I'd like to, but my train doesn't meet with Brutish Rail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.