New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Yet another "best novels" list
Posted by: Adrian Lush (212.183.134.---)
Date: February 03, 2009 11:28PM

I've found the Telegraph's equivalent list, also from last month:
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Oh, ha ha, hmm. Only 100 titles as opposed to the Grauniad's 1000, and they've taken the risky step of actually rating them in order from 100 to 1. The journalistic content leaves a lot to be desired - barely one coherent sentence per novel ("A drug addict chases a ghostly dog across the midnight moors" = The Hound of the Baskervilles; "An ex-convict struggles to become a force for good, but it ends badly" = Les Miserables). Still, my hit rate on this list is about twice as good as my hit rate on the other list.

---------------------------------------------------
work is a vampire that sucks me dry
which is a metaphor
but still the reason I stuck a chair leg through my manager

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 03:23PM

Um, does an audiobook of ABHoT count?

And Skids, wouldn't it be awesome if Gormanghast were re-done! Pref keeping the same cast, but with a much MUCH bigger budget and up-to-date effects?

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 04:29PM

Who would you have for Steerpike?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.24.191.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 05, 2009 09:48AM

I loved the tv series, but you are right, BK, abig budget re-make could be great. It cries out for the Peter Jackson treatment.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:01PM

Johnathon Rhys Davies... I wouldn't change the casting at all!

Date: February 05, 2009 03:18PM

I'm not sure they're all still alive, and I remember hating Celia Imrie as Gertrude Groan.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:30PM

Well, at least one isn't... But a shovel and a ouiji board and we'll be right.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:33PM

I'm liking it more and more all the time - just the right level of Gothic.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 05, 2009 09:54PM

I think I need to see it again, I was quite young when it was first shown and I don't think I quite understood it.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.105.---)
Date: February 06, 2009 01:34PM

Helps to have read the books first- one of the rare adaptations where that is the case, because it assumes you know how the characters think already.

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 07, 2009 07:03AM

I must admit that I haven't seen it and don't mean any offence to anyone who has seen it and likes it but if Kitten is correct and a film makes assumptions about having read the book(s) first, then I would count that as a poor film.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: February 07, 2009 03:20PM

It wasn't a film. It was a series, but very short, considering the books, and really, needs the 3-4 hours per episode that the extended LoTR got.

And much MUCH more money.

Think of the old Narnia series, and you'll have an idea of what I meant. It was another series that assumed some familiarity with the books, but it wasn't a requirement for enjoyment.

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:13AM

I'm surprised Travels with my Aunt wasn't on the comedy list, or Monsignor Quixote, sad as it is, or, come to that, Daniel Pennac's Malaussène series (could be either comedy or crime) - and why no Robertson Davies, who on that list would qualify as SciFi? V odd selection of Robert Graves too. The Claudius trilogy should be up there, surely, and Goodbye to All That's essential reading about WWI. Think the Grauniad's hamstrung itself with its odd choice of categories - they've really had to shove to fit some of the books in, and some must have been impossible to get in.

Was also surprised they didn't have the whole Gormenghast trilogy instead of one individual book (unless I missed the others?), but that happened a lot, maybe depending on the writer? Very idiosyncratic. Surprised at how many of them I've read, actually... also surprised George Eliot got the Torygraph's No. 1 spot, but then I'm not a big fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 10:25AM by splat21.

Date: February 09, 2009 09:54AM

I think you're right, I think the many of the idiosyncrasies on the Gruaniad list were caused by it being an amalgamation of several lists.
Would be interesting to see if we could come up with our own list of 100 that everybody agreed on.

Could we agree on whether the Next books or the Nursery Crimes books would go on though?

I'm guessing Gormenghast would go on.
I would dispute Goodbye to All That and offer you Memoirs of a Fox-hunting Man instead.

Though all three of the above would raise the question of whether you would allow all of a series or just one book.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.210.61.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:02AM

Agree? Nextians?

Flying pigs

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:05AM

Does the Count of Monte Cristo get six vote because it is a long book, about 6 times Animal Farm in length which gets one vote?

Allow series.

After all they expand/extend the original storyline in some manner, even if as happened with Hitchhiker's the later stories were far short of the original in concept and strength of writing. This would make the entire Known Space collection of stories one entry, but if you are trying to make a list of those stories that you consider most important to you then the collection as one is a way of getting it on the list. Similarly with the 'Stainless Steel Rat' series, or James Bond, the Saint, Jeeves, Biggles even, etc.

By allowing series it cuts out trying to pick which is the best story of the set.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:14PM

Fantastic Mr Fox should DEF have been on it!

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: February 09, 2009 10:41PM

What about a list of the "100 best words"?

I think "extenuating" and "exhausting" are both handy when making up excuses when asked why I'm not doing anything at work. The boss who asks usually walks away quite bemused yet certain that I've answered in some way or other.

Come to think of it, "bemused" could be on the list too.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.43.56.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:20AM

I like wheelbarrow: the concept of a mobile burial mound astounds me.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: February 13, 2009 11:21AM

Indeed!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.