New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Yet another "best novels" list
Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: February 13, 2009 03:40PM

It also explains why wheelbarrows have long handles...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:41AM

Date: February 15, 2009 01:26PM

Ah, no I've got my Ancient Mons pass (you get it on your 150th birthday round here) - though I could give you a rather fine button, if you'd prefer?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.245.10.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:35AM

a button will be fine: it also allows you two extra uses of the word "wheelbarrow".

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:02AM

i used to have a broadsheet of Irish jokes printed in about 9 font.

Among the jokes was: Why do the Irish think the wheelbarrow was a great invention?

A: It taught the English how to walk on two legs.

Posted from sunny Adelaide where the sun has just gone over to Western Australia and it black outside but not much cooler.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: February 20, 2009 11:42AM

I have tried the Gormenghast books. Sadly never been able to actually get into them properly.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: February 20, 2009 02:05PM

I love them, they're great, but I can see they might be a tad impenetrable.

Thank you, Skidmarks.

Wheelbarrow.

I'm saving the final one up.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 10:34PM

Why - what sort of emergency would call for the use of the word *********** ?

(The above censorship was a joint production brought to you by the Legal Team and the Accounts Department)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 06:51PM by geg.

Date: February 25, 2009 04:43AM

In Scrabble a word of eleven or more letters across two triple word scores especially if using Z and Q such as QUIZZISTICALLY.

'nuf said?

Posted by: robcraine (217.23.166.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 08:54PM

I'm sure* my scrabble set only had one Z... although that could be because pieces were lost.

*sure= have a vague feeling that could be entirely incorrect.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Date: March 07, 2009 04:26AM

Use a blank for the Z of your choice.

However getting that particular 16 letter combination on a board so that you get the value of both treble word scores would probably mean you have to play until the heat death of the next universe but one to have enough time.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: March 09, 2009 12:39PM

Yes, but what if you're playing Super Scrabble?

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: March 10, 2009 03:15AM

For all those times our Podean fforumites wondered if kangaroos hopped down Australian streeets, there is this: [news.ninemsn.com.au] .No, they don't hop down the street, they just commit break and enter. In a different report the wife describes the hero as "Kangaroo Dundee" but one assumes she meant Kangaroo Undee.

Date: March 10, 2009 11:14AM

I didn't realise there were any people - I thought you were all kangaroos.

Date: March 11, 2009 05:39AM

I had a similar problem when I went to England. There were no English there - just British citizens.

The roo was actually a CIA agent trying to develop an undercover device in order to detect left wing sheep before they were shipped overseas. Seeing itself in the glass window -which probably acted like a mirror- the CIA agent went berserk and tried to destroy the supposed opposition spy in the other kangaroo suit before the news got out that this was a CIA operation.

What they did not know that at the scene there was a wombat and a galah who were monitoring the events.

If it had been ASIS they would have said: 'Who cares?'

Date: March 12, 2009 12:13PM

This raises an important question - who was financing the wombat and the galah?

Date: March 12, 2009 01:22PM

Big business of course! Chuck in the Masons, the Catholic League of Decency, CNN, Mossad, and anyone else, just in case.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: March 12, 2009 02:00PM

You mean it wasn't Tony Blair? I thought all roads led back to Tony Blair, Margaret Thatcher or Richard Nixon. Or am I confusing reality with Trivial Pursuit again?

E.

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:29PM

Leading down to Bronte Beach in Sydney is a picturesque walk through scrub locally called "The Gully".

When I were a lad, it had a little waterfall draining runoff from the street storm water gutters, a couple of tranquil pools of deep green and brown and a rivulet; with local wildlife including flash-as-a-rat sewer rodents, moths, ticks, and assorted birds, collectively and affectionately known as lice-farmers in our local dialect. A secluded little half mile frequented and appreciated by locals, covert lovers, tourists, muggers and flashers alike.

Us boys used to get paid thrupence a dozen for all the drop-bears we could pull down from their branches overhanging the track, for which task we used long staffs with a rope loop on the end, setting out in small groups, for protection, at around dawn each morning. This was to make the track safe for the unsuspecting tourists whose purchases of flavoured crushed-ice cups at the beach shop was the mainstay of the local economy. It is well known that once drop-bears have fallen, they won't drop again that day.

Date: March 16, 2009 10:41AM

This raises another important question - who would win in a fight, an Aquatic Drop Bear or a Bunyip?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.