New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lola Vavoom
Posted by: Hunchback (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 07:33PM

How does Fforde come up with the names for his fictional characters? I mean, Lola Vavoom SOUNDS like a famous actress. Yet she isn't real.

I came up with the name "Betty Seaborg" for my novel about an actress who can't deal with real life, but it comes nowhere near matching the sheer awesomeness of "Lola Vavoom."

You know, because of Fforde, I imagine the entire fictional world as coexisting together. So I can seeing Jude Fawley going to see a Lola Vavoom (although it's not really in his character; I just mean someone from Jude the Obscure going, maybe his wife?). Or Pinnochio. It's all one, even the bad fiction.

Re: Lola Vavoom
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.strathcona.vic.edu.au)
Date: February 01, 2009 11:29PM

It becomes almost existential... We are all connected and a part of the blanket... <Goes off to do pixelly/Picasso cubist thing>

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 02, 2009 04:32AM

If 'Lola Vavoom' had not existed someone would have had to invent her.

The Actualist philosophers claim that anything you can create a mental image of must exist somewhere in one of the universes, so somewhere Lola is in a state of existence. [Please read this paragraph with the Kinks song playing softly in the background.]

Q: Which actress, present or past, would, in your opinion, play the ideal Lola Vavoom?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.182.203.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:38AM

A: Having seen the Lola Vavoom statue, it has to be Diana Dors. (Although in my mind she will always be Gina Lollobrigida)

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:03PM

Mae West... has to be Mae West.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 02, 2009 11:36PM

I nearly posed next to the actual statue until I noticed in the dark that it was surrounded by pigeon droppings. Decided it wasn't worth a breach of hygiene.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2009 10:49AM

A bit obvious but I've got to go along with SkidMarks, she has got to be Swindon's own Diana Dors. Or as she was born Diana Fluck!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 03:14PM

Mae West. When she was old and unfashionable. Or possibly Dawn French.

Somewhat seriously: Most of the ffordian names are puns, and follow a certain linguistic rhythm. He's a clever lad, that one.

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: February 20, 2009 02:18PM

True, dat.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 04:50AM

Having looked at the posted picture it really resembles Miss Dors. Mae West up close was not a pretty sight, especially when older. I still have pleasant thoughts when contemplating La Lollabrigida.

Is there a contemporary actress who could fill the requirements?

(Not watching TV much and not being a movie fan I am almost totally unaware of the modern clutch of actresses.

I sort of stopped with Racquel Welch and Sophia Loren. It is a very pleasant neighbourhood.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.103.237.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 25, 2009 12:53PM

bunyip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having looked at the posted picture it really
> resembles Miss Dors.

There is a very good reason for that! - scroll down the page
<grins>
Enjoy the trip down Memory(yes, I think that is the preferred spelling) Lane

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 06:05PM

If you do get to see the statue the plaque reads Diana Dors "Actress" read into that what you will

A one who's been knocking around here for quite a few years I remember that there is a section on the Competion Page [www.jasperfforde.com] No 4, which might shed some light on Lola

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 25, 2009 10:42PM

I just think it is amusing that the statue is in a carpark! We had to all try and find it, the first person to find it got a lolly. I found it first, though never did get the lolly, which was probably a good thing in any case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.