New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Snow
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:01AM

Aha! It's snowing in the UK and I've just helped build a Snow Chef! Can anyone beat that? I think not!

E.

Re: Snow
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.24.191.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 05, 2009 12:33PM

Well Heston Blumenthal is trying to re-build a Little Chef. Does that count?

(edited 'cos I got Heston right and Chef wrong)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 12:34PM by SkidMarks.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:18PM

I built an enormous iced coffee in the shape of an iced coffee. it's a quarter choc ice cream! YAY!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: February 06, 2009 08:57AM

I'm childishly clinging on to snow-happiness, so revel in the glory of the snowman chef!

[oliverbain.multiply.com]

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:12AM

Oh, I miss Winter! I would in an instant go back to the cold if given the opportunity. I loved the snow! Although it got heavy in Germany, so I kept getting falling flakes caught in my eyes and eyelashes. That made it difficult to see.

I am jealous also, I have never made a snowman, though I have made a very small snowball or two.

Why does it have to be 44 degrees (probably hotter, it got to 46 in our backyard for the four days of infernal heat last week) tomorrow???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 10:22AM by BibwitHart.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 11:20AM

Snowmen now so prolific that in some parts of the country they outnumber humans by 10 to 1.

The ICE Invasion as it has become known, is spreading quickly. Residents who fear their area may be under attack have been warned to stay indoors and ensure that they have access to hot water and salt.

A Government spokesperson said that everything possible was being done, that the army had everything under control,that nobody was to panic and it was untrue that his nose bore a striking resemblance to a carrot.

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 07, 2009 06:57AM

I saw the snow and reports of cold temps in the UK on the news just now - funny how they demonstrate extreme lows by showing pics of cars being towed out of snow banks - why not shots of pensioners teeth frozen in the bedside glass of water I wonder? This would be instantly more empathetic for the average viewer, especially if they then panned the camera across to the pensioner frozen in their bed.

We got to 43 degrees in Wagga Wagga today (and I'm sure Bunyip in S. Aust. will be able to trump that; my thoughts have been with you Crow Eaters and Victorians this last week Bunyip) so the dogs got hosed down a couple of times and the sprinkler has been moving from spot to hot spot. It's been over the old '100' mark every day now for a week and a half. A couple of hundred km north of where my daughter lives in Queensland, they got nearly a metre (3ft) of rainfall and most of the towns where the flood waters were finally going down, are now going to rise again to higher than the previous mark from the floods of a few days ago.

My calculations show a mean temp. on the Fforum of about 21 degrees. Very pleasant here, as usual.

Date: February 07, 2009 12:23PM

Well, I just checked an area nearby on a wonderful site that is: www.wunderground.com and for today it said the max in this nearby area got to 47.3 degrees Centigrade.

A full degree hotter than Friday they last week of January.

I hope all of the other Aussie fforumites are safe- watch out for any fires please! It is very very awfulto know how bad they have been today. I am devastated to have even been to many of these places, now burnt to a crisp.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:57AM

Last Saturday we ran off to the cinema to escape the heat and saw "...Benjamin Button". This week was worse and went to see "Chengeling". Both fantastic movies, and definitely preferable to extreme heat.

We look out towards Kinglake, at a safe distance, and visibility is down to around 500m in that direction, we can just see Mt Dandenong.

Krispy Fried Bunny.

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: February 08, 2009 11:19PM

As of yesterday, the Victorian towns of Kinglake and Marysville don't exist anymore.

There are 105 dead in Victoria as of this morning, and the number continues to grow - there are some areas where the authorities still have not been able to check.

The bushfires were much worse than expected and eclipsed the Ash Wednesday fires of 1983. Most buildings which fly a flag are flying them at half mast today in Wagga, in respect of the terrible loss of life.

Date: February 09, 2009 06:21AM

I am in shock. Very grateful to have just heard some friends survived and that they were one of the very few to keep their houses in that particular area in St Andrews.

Wish us all rain and Southerly air movement, or whatever takes these fires away from communities.

I liked those towns, Marysville was one of those gorgeous little towns and I only went to Bruno's Sculpture Garden twice. I always meant to go back every year or two.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 09:45AM

Yes. It has been shocking. The death toll as at 6pm SA time [7.30GMT/UT] was 131 and many unaccounted for.

Some towns no longer exist, although in many there are still the skeletal fragments of buildings standing. One photo on our news this evening showed where alloy wheels had melted and run like lead. [www.abc.net.news]

The photos are reminiscent of the photographs from the European theatre of WW2 showing the aftermath of the bombing raids from both sides of the conflict. It really is a war zone under those conditions.

Have we accounted for all the fforumites, both contributing and otherwise, in the fire areas?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:05PM

btw, if people are checking CFA maps online, and they aren't in immediate danger, could they please use the maps on ABC radio's site instead?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.