New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Do we
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 24, 2009 09:47AM

Hear hear

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 06:27PM

Ah, but you are missing the point that birds in flight (mostly) do not suffer the dreaded ground effect, Geg. So long as the planet sucks, the danger is nearer to the ground.

P.S. I probably generate my own gravitational field, so passers-by, beware!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 03:42AM

I have been doing some further reading* and I think that the reason that birds don't fly into each other is that they are closer in the tree of life to the quantum butterfly than are humans.

So they incorporate a little of the random fluctuations in their movements and are thus spared the ignominy of admitting to mid air collisions. Flying united excepted.

*I have been reading the Da Da de Da Da Code, Making Money, Rama Revealed, The Ringworld Engineers, The Ringworld Throne, and when there is nothing else around that seem interesting, my lecture notes, coz I've gone back to big school. I've got The Brightonomicon part read right now.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 09:09AM

At last, bunyip returns, and the voice of reason is once more audible.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.103.237.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: February 25, 2009 12:46PM

As a research list you seem to missing only a little Chris Moore and perhaps a re-read of TN while we await "Shades"

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: February 25, 2009 06:59PM

Bunyip, if you want to add to your pile of further reading and would like to read a little more about the relative distances on the evolutionary tree between birds, humans, and the quantum weather butterfly, I highly recommend The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins!

Date: March 07, 2009 05:07AM

I have been reading but I 'm not supposed to be. I am supposed to be packing as we've bought a bigger hose in Craigmore which is 30km north of here. These books just seem to fall out into my briefcase at night, and I have to 'scrutinise them with an intense scruit'* before they are repacked.

I did a brief count the other day and there are about 80 boxes of books, tapes, cds, etc. that have to be examined and moved. Some must be culled, like back copies of New Scientist, but I'm keeping those which are of major interest to me, like all the one's with photographs by David Malin.

I am sure that many of them will want to be reread and I am destined to read a lot of books in the coming weeks.

Life's tough!

* Milligan: Goon Show.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 10:31AM

Can you not just build an extension to the Craigmore house out of boxes? Put the flaps on the inside, add an armchair and you've got a ready made library.

Date: March 11, 2009 05:51AM

Not a bad idea.

New Scientist as insulation. I like it.

We could take it further - Murdoch press as bird cage linings.

Channel 9 promos' to scare the birds in the orchards

Parliamentary broadcasts to keep the shopping malls and railways stations free from vermin infestation.

There are endless possibilities.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.