New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Essential biological entity
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 05, 2009 10:56AM

A head is considered the most important part of the body. Face houses thought. Dualism-2things, body & mind as separate entities. Essential biological entity.

People at different times have different bodies- theory. Physical reactions, affect mental.

Socrates was condemned to death for leading young people to think independently. Forced to take hemlock. Said " I Socrates am not my body"
Belief the psyche immortal.

(The above text was taken by myself at a Uni lecture a number of years ago, I find old class notes to be hilarious and incomprehensible at the least!). I frequently find the strangest things in old written notes, and at the time I always thought they made sense.

Re: Essential biological entity
Posted by: robcraine (217.23.166.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 08:45PM

At least you thought it made sense at one point. The mathematics I scrawled during lectures frequently failed to make sense as soon as I got home. Especially the ones I seemed to sleep-note through.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: robert (153.107.103.---)
Date: March 06, 2009 04:39AM

"A head is considered the most important part of the body"

I wonder if our brains would come to the same conclusion if they were located in our bottoms?

(No wise-cracks please)

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 04:17AM

Who is postulating that the mind exists in the brain?

I agree about rereading old lecture notes. My physics notes from 1964/5 are extremely readable as I was then able to make the letters conform to the standards required in technical drawing.

My physics notes from 1968 and philosophy notes fro 1972 and the 1990s are exquisite examples of what would evolve into Linear B.

As for what they mean, don't ask me.

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 08, 2009 11:16AM

I'm not sure that anyone actually mentioned the "mind" - just heads, Socrates' immortal psyche and brains.

Personally I think that the mind, the ego, the id, psyche and probably a few others, are just concepts that the brain has thought up to bignote itself. Toes are pretty important but you don't see them making up fancy names for themselves.

Date: March 08, 2009 11:54AM

Jolly good, I'm sure all toes would agree with that there Robert!

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 08, 2009 06:40PM

The other day I heard somebody define an academic as somebody who believes their body is a vehicle for moving their brains from one lecture hall to another.

Personally I've accepted that both my mind and body are just a vehicle for the replication of DNA.

Clever stuff DNA - its put its eggs in an awful lot of different baskets.

Date: March 09, 2009 01:43AM

-eewwww!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 05:55AM

Many many years ago I read in a Scientific American article about cats and alleles that a cat was just a way of one set of alleles making another set of alleles.

At the time I understood what they were talking about but my biological knowledge has shrunk to where I can't pronounce DNA.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: March 11, 2009 10:41AM

What's an 'allele'?

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:07AM

Sorry, I thought this was a poem you'd written! I frequently find myself copying the beat poets - download all the cuts I've forgotten to paste from my clipboard, read it back to myself. Wonder why it reads so much more brilliantly than anything I've actually tried to scribe as poetry...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.129.65.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: March 11, 2009 11:32AM

I remember hearing this story as a chicken being just an egg's way of producing another egg.

Date: March 11, 2009 01:49PM

Yeh but, no but, yeh but...

That's jist the same t'other way round innit:

a chicky's way of gettin' it orf an' gittin' more chickies.

Innit!?

Woodja say a sheila was a foetus' way of producing another foetus? C'mon then!

<sorry about the idiom of the above, I've been watching 'Doc Martin' and love Elaine, his receptionist>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2009 01:50PM by robert.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.129.65.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: March 11, 2009 02:02PM

but the emphasis is important

which series of Doc Martin are you watching?

Date: March 11, 2009 02:57PM

One, no two, no both.
No, well, that's it then.
Innit
Why'dya wanna know then?
Perv inya or summat what?

<once again Robert apologises for any idiomatic lapses by personas who occasionaly inhabit his typing. They should not refelect upon his usually perfect manpilation of the mossed beatific langwich in liytratyeur. Robert hopes so anyway.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 11, 2009 07:33PM

Wwhat about junk DNA? We're carrying so much of it about and its apparently useless. Although in Roberts case it may provide an explanation, perhaps his junk DNA is expressing itself through the medium of typing. Be afraid be very afraid.

Posted by: robcraine (217.23.166.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:05AM

Quote:
EgonSpengler
What's an 'allele'?
Bashically.... its a gene. Or a specific form of a gene. There's a gene for eye colour, and the form of that gene that gives you blue eyes is an allele.

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Date: March 12, 2009 01:28AM

So in England, Scotland and Wales these are Ukalleles?

Date: March 12, 2009 02:21AM

Ooh Robert!

Blimey!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.53.207.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:36AM

robert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why'dya wanna know then?
> Perv inya or summat what?

so that I can work out which annoying receptionist you are talking about. I know you said her name was Elaine, but I can't remember names. Is she the sub-Catherine Tate one?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.