New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
That Cat
Posted by: tieff (---.l.pppool.de)
Date: March 25, 2009 03:46PM

What is going to happen to the 'UAW Cat' now that there is an East Cheshire and a West Cheshire? Will he have to align himself geographically on the library shelves?

Re: That Cat
Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 05:25PM

Was reliably informed by man on Radio 4 that "There is no need to make such a fuss - Cheshire still exists" of course he didn't mention cats as such and he seemed a bit cross.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.178.82.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: March 26, 2009 10:52AM

Perhaps there are now 3 cats, each with 3 lives.

One thing is certain. There will be no extra cash in the kitty.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 01:37PM

What of the cheeses? Will there be an East Chesire Cheese and a mid Chesire cheese and a West Chesire cheese?

How will they be differentiated?

Who will care?

Date: April 03, 2009 10:34AM

Wonders at bunyip's cavalier attitude to local government changes half a planet away.
Reminds him of fundamental interconnectedness of all things with specific reference to butterflies flapping wings and cheese counters.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 03, 2009 01:54PM

Oh no, you mentioned the cheese counters!

<hides under desk>

We're all in danger now!

Date: April 03, 2009 05:50PM

<tempts ES out from under desk with pretty butterfly and promise of certificate>

It's all right we'll just revert to plan A: push CR out with his pointy stick whilst we all hide behind the wall.

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 04, 2009 09:50AM

I'm also surprised by Geg's own "cavalier" attitude to the cheese dilemma raised by Bunyip. It won't just stop in Cheshire you know - will we have to have North Cheddar and South Cheddar; Central Gorgonzola and a little bit each-way Gorganzola; Swiss with N/S oriented holes and Swisswith E/W holes; West Edam and Who-Gives-Edam? and countless other problemos.

The cheese situation here seems to be in melt down.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2009 01:19PM

Hey what have I done, I didn't start the whole pointy stick thing, I'm just a Scape-Bunny.

As far as regional distinction go I don't think you can go past "Packenham Upper".

Date: April 05, 2009 02:47PM

Upper and Lower Slaughter?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 05, 2009 05:42PM

Cheddar is safe: it is a process not a district. Well it is a district but not as far as cheese is concerned.

I don't know who let the cheese decide, but now that it has got all uppity and decided to live wherever it wants, I would say "hard cheese" but it already is.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 04:36AM

I went to England and gorged myself at Cheddar.

By the quantum interconnectedness of things once differentiation sets in it cannot be stopped. All one can hope for is that the differentiation is fractal in nature so that no matter how much chocolate one has eaten there is still the same proportions left.

But what of Yorkshire pudding?

30 years ago it was bad news to have West German measels in eastern Germany.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.11.---)
Date: April 08, 2009 01:03AM

OI! Rabbit! leave my town outa this! Also, leave out the C :P

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 12, 2009 01:50PM

Oops, no intention to cause offence. I thought that it didn't look quite right when I wrote it!

Hey, I can't say too much being a product of a Swindon and Frankston upbringing!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (202.146.8.---)
Date: April 14, 2009 11:00AM

Ah, Franga, the punchline to every australian joke.

That Cat
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 11:34PM

Just a thought-
if we eat the cheese & chocolate, we won't have to count it...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: robert (153.107.33.---)
Date: May 04, 2009 05:17AM

If we eat the cheese & chocolate we'll still have to count it as calories.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 07, 2009 05:31PM

Try out multiple partitioning with opposing directions, like Ost-Westfalen (East Westphalia), wich really exists (in contrast to its alleged capital, Bielefeld).

Eastphalia, naturally, is somwhere completely different. In fact, there are two: one in former West Germany around Hildesheim, one in the East at Halberstadt. Westphalie is used as a generic term, and there are (yet) no North- or Southphalia, only North Westphalia.

Posted by: robert (153.107.97.---)
Date: May 08, 2009 01:27AM

Interesting link there Prinz. I like places that don't exist.

During WWII the town of Oaklands (NSW) housed a fairly large ammunition supply dump (all the underground store-rooms are still there) and the town was removed from maps for security reasons. The logic seems to have been that an invading force would most likely pop into a newsagent and buy itself a road map to see how to get to the known ammo-dump but be completely stumped by this tricky Aussie ruse.

Many of these maps were reprinted for ages after the war without reinserting Oaklands into its rightful spot. Many can still be seen, still hung up on the walls of various bush service stations in the district. Asking the proprietor to show me how to get to Oaklands on the map used to be one of my favourite past-times when I was doing a fair bit of driving as part of the job in the mid-80s.

The town of Cookardinia (near Wagga Wagga), on the other hand, is now little more than an intersection and a Bush Fire Brigade shed in the middle of nowhere but it is still boldly marked on maps - usually and unfortunately as "Cockardinia": no wonder everyone up and left. I don't know when it was abandoned or where they all went, except for the likelihood that it was certainly not to Oaklands - there's no way they could have found it.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 08, 2009 01:59AM

I lived in Bielefeld for a week!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.