New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Oh, that Jasper is a clever one!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2003 10:41PM

Okay, I was just reading the Jurisfiction section (finally!) and was in the glossary and I came across the definition for "The Judgement of Solomon" and it says they opened a branch office in Swindon in 1986. (Obviously during WOLP) Well, it sparked something in my memory that I had seen that somewhere before.

[www.thursdaynext.com]

I looked on one of the postcards that have come out for TN-2...the one of Pete & Dave's Dodo Emporium....the storefront next door is the very same Judgement of Solomon office! Only a partial, but it's unmistakeable!

[www.jasperfforde.com]

Jasper was being clever and doing some foreshadowing, me thinks!

Has anyone else caught anything cool like that?

Re: Oh, that Jasper is a clever one!
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2003 12:26AM

I suspect that Mr ff had to doctor the image to stop anyone identifying a *real* business, so came up with the name. Having done so, it then lurked in his brain until he did the Jurisfiction thing, when the same business became useful again - and using it meant there was a clear harmony and reciprocity between various things. Very clever. Plus it was a joke looking for somewhere to happen.

Having said that, I do think that Mr Ff has planted quite a few things early on for later elaboration quite deliberately. The title sof Chapter 13 seem to be doing this, for instance.

Post Edited (04-20-03 01:32)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 20, 2003 12:31AM

maybe Jasper will decide to come out of *LURKING MODE* and tell us what the real skinny on that one is. Quite interesting thought, there PSD!

Date: April 20, 2003 12:33AM

I can do interesting thoughts quite easily. It's intelligent ones that elude me...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Carla (---.zen.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2003 10:47AM

I could tell you what the Judgement of Solomon is but I'm not allowed till July...

Date: April 20, 2003 12:41PM

it's in the Jurisfiction glossary, so we know WHAT it is, but now how it fits into the story line ;-)

Posted by: Carla (---.zen.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2003 01:10PM

that's what i meant
:-)

it's early still erm... kind of!

Date: April 20, 2003 01:28PM

Oh GEEZ, I thought *I* was being the clever one by noticing that Judgement of Solomon was next to Pete & Dave's....

however! I just came across a blurb in the Swidon Photo Album (via the Index) that said:

"Pete & Dave's dodo emporium pictured in the early days, when still located in Commercial Road. They moved to bigger premises in 1987, and now dominate the reenigineered species industry in England with over twenty-eight out of town unextinction super centres. Pete and Dave's was recently floated on the stock market, and has opened its own R&D labs, hoping to reengineer Gliptodons, Giant Elk and Elephant birds. Note to the left of the picture a glimpse of the now-closed Swindon branch of the franchised arbitration & decision management company, Judgements (Solomon ) Inc,TM"

It's truly amazing what you can find on this site if you delve deeply enough! SHEESH! LOL

Date: April 20, 2003 03:53PM

Problem is remembering to come up for air...

PSD

==========

Date: April 20, 2003 08:28PM

no kidding! I think I need to leave pagemarkers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.