New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Battenberg, Banned?!?
Posted by: Kristoff (---.t-mobile.co.uk)
Date: May 20, 2009 05:05PM

Ffellow ffans of Fforde.

I have come to deliver grave news indeed. If you could just take a seat, as this may come as a shock to you.

Whilst Googling the correct spelling of Battenberg, I came across the Wikipedia entry for it, and the last paragraph brought tears to my eyes.

"On 10 April 2008 the British Food Standards Agency asked for a voluntary ban on artificial food colourings and suggested that the ban would be practical by the end of 2009. This would mean that certain foods such as mushy peas, battenberg cakes, Turkish Delight and tinned strawberries might disappear temporarily or permanently, unless an alternative natural food colouring is found"

[en.wikipedia.org]

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry

Re: Battenberg, Banned?!?
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.54.116.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: May 21, 2009 08:54AM

Kristoff, you have ruined my life!

Tinned strawberries and (I assume only chocolate coated) Turkish Delight can disappear for all I care. Proper mushy peas are a sort of dirty grey colour, rather than the fluorescent green of the tinned variety, so they may yet survive, but it looks as if there is no hope for my beloved Battenberg.........

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 09:03AM

I think when you see the words "voluntary" as in "voluntary ban" you can largely ignore the rest of the article.

Failing that we have an army of moorhens with pointy sticks who will make our feelings known.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.253-236-108.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 21, 2009 10:53AM

But fake pink and yellow is the natural colour for Battenburg!

Posted by: robert (153.107.33.---)
Date: May 22, 2009 06:57AM

There's an army of artificial Irish out there who will march in solidarity with the moorhens if it includes the right to drink artificial green beer on St Patrick's day.

Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2009 10:58AM

There is a point of order due here:

Artificial food colourings are just as real as ones derived fromm nature, and probably a lot purer.

I will drink coloured flavoured drinks of known parentage in preference to some natural liquid that has an unknown purity.

So what if I go a bit loopy when the red colouring kicks in. It's still safer than Red Bull.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2009 12:07PM

You are a trusting soul then, I mistrust new or even relatively known substances. These days people seem to be more willing to take medicines and such with barely any testing time, thinking they will be more effective than many proven things (like how good ginger is against the common cold).

Thlidamide is one example of artificial substance with a lack of proper testing.

Not to mention materials people thought were safe.Barium used in a ceramic glaze for functional wares. People 15-20 years ago thought that the hazardous poison was safe once fired in a glass, only to discover it leached out when in contact with common food acids and alkalies.

Disclaimer: This is not a rant by the way!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.3.77.threembb.co.uk)
Date: May 26, 2009 12:53PM

What about the poor veggies? without good, wholesome artificial colourings, they will be forced to eat only foods not containing cochineal - so strawberry yoghurt will be off the breakfast list.

(as an aside, does anyone here know if Kosher or Halal restrictions forbid insect products in food?)

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.98.---)
Date: May 27, 2009 02:37AM

Oh, dod you know they use barium to colour flaming poi? I couldn't believe that! Then ur inhaling it, absorbing it through skin AND probably ingesting it too, if you happen to touch your mouth after using it.

Egads.

I dont think kosher does, because I seem to remember eating candied grasshoppers at a friend's barmitvah when I was a kid.

Date: May 27, 2009 08:35AM

What is a flaming poi???

They say one gram ingested is enough to poison- I do hope you aren't talking about food?

They do use barium in medical research, in order to track it in your digestive system or something. I'm a bit hazy on that.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.98.---)
Date: May 28, 2009 04:22AM

poi... you know, the firey twirling things on strings. Only, using it as fuel you inhale the gases, and you get it all over yourself- even if you are really really good...

The barium meal is different to the stuff we use- It's barium sulphate, rather than carbonate.

Date: May 28, 2009 07:51AM

Can't be good for you in any case, surely there are much healthier chemicals you can use to alter the colour of the flame?

<Remembers the joys of chemistry and testing the colours different chemicals made when burnt>

Barium is one of the two (well actually there are others) materials I won't even touch with a pointy stick let alone use.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.103.---)
Date: June 02, 2009 12:20PM

I'll use it, but I'm very careful if I do... And if I can use something else instead...

But anyway, FISH PUNS!

Posted by: bunyip (---.sa.gov.au)
Date: June 04, 2009 02:58AM

this is no plaice for them!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.19.253.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2009 08:00AM

I agree and am willing to put my views in whiting.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: June 04, 2009 09:46AM

But will your whiting be in secret cod?

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 04, 2009 10:31AM

I've been away and I think all the fish puns have already been had - O.K. perhaps there's one more....

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: June 04, 2009 12:03PM

these fish puns are packed in like sardines,I'm sure that we are going to have a whale of a time share sharing these pearls of piscatorial humour.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: June 08, 2009 10:33AM

We might have to shine a few rays of light to distinguish them all. Still, let's not carp on it.

Posted by: bunyip (---.sa.gov.au)
Date: June 11, 2009 10:48AM

Would the last few posts have been as enjoyable if written by Salmon Rushdie?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.