New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Available on Ebay
Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: April 22, 2003 01:08PM

Three unread proofs of 'The Well of Lost Plots' on Ebay.

How can anyone actually want to sell their unread copy? Philistines!! It really annoys me when people get hold of proofs only to sell - especially when the proofs are limited and there are lots of true 'fans' who'd like a copy.

Re: Available on Ebay
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: April 22, 2003 01:22PM

ARGH!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: April 22, 2003 01:28PM

I see a problem in people selling the signed ones since there were only 50 of those.

I don't see a problem in selling unsigned ones... anyway, i know for a fact that one of the traders Jasper lists on this site buys books off ebay to sell them at twice the price... and that is crap...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2003 02:56PM

Ya I know there have been some one Ebay! I have bid on two of them and lost! I refuse to pay more than $95 US for them! I want one so bad I could almost spit!

Posted by: Rob (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 04:38PM

I don't understand.

Last year I was in a gallery and the owner came up and was telling how this picture I was interested in would be a good investment. That's missing the point. I'll buy the picture (or not) because I think it'll look nice on my wall. I'm not buying it because I think it'll make money. Same with books. It's the story which is important not whether it's a signed first edition/proof...

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 22, 2003 05:17PM

I tend to agree. The friend of mine who sent his copies of TEA and LIAGB with me to get them signed didn't want them personalized, since that lowers the resale value compared to having just the signature.

Personally, I'm more interested in sentimental value, which is why I'm much happier to have things like "For Magda, Thanks for the dodo, Jasper" in my books rather than just having a signature. Might be worth less on the open market that way, but it's worth a lot more to me.

I also have absolutely no intention (despite it having been suggested to me) of selling my autographed dodo on ebay. It would be like selling a friend!

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: April 22, 2003 05:28PM

I was once told I could get £1000 for a programme of the 90 Formula 1 Portuguese GP signed by a few drivers including Senna, but it means so much to me I'd never ever sell it.... even if £1000 would come in veeeery handy

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.telepac.pt)
Date: April 22, 2003 06:39PM

£1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about all your signed photos then? Throughout the years, showing their haircut evolution? ;)

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 06:53PM

I'm not selling...

And don't you think of looking at my old albums... i know all the photos i still have over there!

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 10:49PM

I always thought that a personalized autograph, which can help prove provenance, was more valuable than a simple signature. I guess many buyers would prefer to display something plain, rather than a picture/book with a dedication to someone else. On the other hand, if you have some connection to the author/musician (like being named in a dedication), then the personalized autograph *would* make it more valuable.

My best autographs:

Harry h Corbett, Sooty and Sweep.
Denis Lawson (Wedge Antilles in Star Wars films)
Quentin Tarantino (1993) - 'to jillian from Mr Brown Quentin Tarantino'. This was about three months after the British release of 'Reservoir Dogs'. The movie had flopped in america, so he wrote 'Mr Brown' so I'd remember who he was !

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 10:55PM

Plus if you keep a copy of some of the correspondence between Mr ff and yourself then you'd acually have something a lot more interesting for future generations...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 22, 2003 11:08PM

I keep a lot of the character notes, maps and other stuff associated with my books. They might be valuable one day. Scholars may peruse them in order to write theses on recurring themes in my writing. Someday, the changes from the first version of 'Navajo Rock' to the published one will be the subject of academic discussion.
Someday...

Date: April 22, 2003 11:17PM

Other people my wonder at the progression from having messenger, to alerting me to the fact, to actually switching the bloody thing on...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 22, 2003 11:23PM

I'm going to go cross-eyed if I sit watch those two figures circling each other any longer. Messenger just ain't working tonight.

Date: April 22, 2003 11:36PM

It just doesn't like you, obviously. On the other hand the rest of the web is agonisingly slow for me tonight...

PSD

==========

Date: April 22, 2003 11:39PM

must go. Paul McCartney concert stuff on BBC1 any minute now, and I need to make a cup of coffee first.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2003 11:57PM

I've kept all my emails with Jasper and if, indeed, there is a dedication in WOLP, they may become valuable someday. But never will they be sold. Unless it's by my great-great-grandchildren!

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: April 23, 2003 08:19AM

I never meant for you to sell, just wanted an idea of how much they were worth if the simple program signed was worth £1000....

:(

Date: April 23, 2003 09:37AM

the simple program is worht more because it's got tons of drivers there: senna, prost, berger, and so on and so forth

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.