New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Gadanga!
Posted by: Vard66 (86.112.14.---)
Date: August 20, 2009 01:00AM

Hi everyone.

My name's Chris, I've followed Jasper's books for a few years now, since his daughter pointed me in their direction, just never got round to registering here to have a look-see until now.

(Located in Wilts in the UK, I should probably add, after failing to the first time round...)

Just finished WOLP again this evening while at work (slow day!), and as of yet, can't find my copy of Something Rotten. I have a sneaking suspicion my older brother still has it. >_>

I guess I'll just use it as an excuse to track down the adult cover editions of the lot, as I never managed to pick up any beyond LIAGB without doodle covers.

Never have been one for covers that have drawings all over them. If I had had the time to look, I suppose I might have found them, and if I had, and that were the case, I suppose it's fair to say that that would be what I would have bought. While I'm thinking about it, what's the ruling on had had and that that on the forum?

I digress.

Hello to one and all, now I'm going to go have a bit of a browse.

Vard.

*Edit* For idiocy. Twice. Good start, Vard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 01:10AM by Vard66.

Re: Gadanga!
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 20, 2009 08:17AM

Hi Vard66, help yourself to some pie.

Adult covers? They did change, although I think that it was more to do with the publishers trying to get me to re-buy the older books so that they would match, rather than running two sets of covers. I could so easily be wrong though.

Anyway, watch out for the tea trolley and don't go near BK if you have chocolate.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 20, 2009 01:08PM

Welcome Vard - watch out for the feral battenburg. It gets you when you least expect it!

Posted by: Vard66 (86.112.16.---)
Date: August 20, 2009 08:32PM

I'm a match for any battenburg. Let's see it try.

I wasn't paying particular attention when the covers started metamorphosing into something I didn't particularly like. I must have been looking the other way.

I'll get a full set at some point, but I haven't the beans to trade at the moment.

Thanks for the welcomes, folks!

Posted by: robert (153.107.33.---)
Date: August 21, 2009 12:22AM

Hi Vard. I had to print it out to check but my ruling on 'had had' and 'that that' came out as about 15mm for the former and 17mm for the latter; a lot depends on the font.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 21, 2009 08:06AM

Velcome Vard!
I'll put a pot of tea on for you, any preferences? I saw some Oolong and darjeeling around recently...

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.103.---)
Date: August 22, 2009 02:35PM

Ahah! We have a champion to defend the threads from Batternburg! Hurrah!

Gadanga!
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 23, 2009 02:47AM

Welcome!

Have some cocoa, it'll help you defeat the Battenburg-
do you prefer your cocoa with or without cayenne?

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: August 26, 2009 08:23AM

Cries from outside:
"Look out! The Battenburg is recalcitrant!"

Posted by: Vard66 (86.112.18.---)
Date: August 26, 2009 03:12PM

Thank you Robert. I had had some curiosity, but if that had been known to me more fully, the curiosity that I had had had would have been banished more rapidly.

As far as Tea, Oolong of the two suits me fine, and without Cayenne.

I'll do what I can against the mighty Battenburg, but there's only one of me, and so much Battenburg...

I have a feeling I'm going to be noticing new puns in Jasper's books for quite a while. I felt silly yesterday when I at last realised the joke in Jambe's name.

*Sigh*

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 27, 2009 08:46AM

I know there are many puns I don't get still after re-reads. Good stuff! <Hands mug of Oolong over>

*By the way if any of you are looking to fill in some time, I'm in a band that has entered a daft online music comp with an old demo of ours. Feel free to listen and vote, though we are not serious about the comp. [www.soundcheck.com.au]

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 27, 2009 09:14PM

Nice. :)

I liked it.

Hmmm.... Must go through looking for more puns at some point. I read Ben's Guides, which probably got most of the references though. :)

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 10:37AM

I about to make a shop sign.
I want to put hyphens between the words fish and and and and and chips to make a "fish-and-chips" sign.

Do you think that the above sentence would be clearer if quotation marks had been placed before "fish" and between "fish" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "and" and "chips" as well as after "chips"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.