New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hello
Posted by: gailfus (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2009 06:29PM

Hi. New to the Fforde Fforum though I've been getting on Jasperfforde.com for a while. I'm hoping to attend the Fforde Ffiesta 1985 and I'd love to get to know others on the Fforum so I have friends to meet up with next May. I live in the US, in Wisconsin to be more precise, with roots in Wales (my paternal grandmother immigrated from Wales with her parents in the last 1800s). I'm hoping to make a side trip to Cardiff, at least, while at the Ffiesta, to try and track down some family records.

I have been a huge fan of Jasper Fforde since I stumbled across The Big Over Easy a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, Mr. Fforde can't churn out books fast enough to satisfy my appetite for them, though the anticipation is quite delicious. I can't wait for the release of Shades of Grey and the next Thursday Next.

So, I'm glad to be on the Fforum at last, and hope to meet you all someday soon!

Cheers,

gailfus

"In the absence of clearly defined goals we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia." - Unknown

Re: Hello
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2009 11:37PM

Welcome! I hope you can make it to the Ffiesta; from what I hear the previous ones were great!

Pie will be along shortly, but in the meantime, what sort of tea would you like?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 31, 2009 12:36PM

<Offers Tea & Battenburg>

Pies are sweet on the left, marked with a 'S'. Not to be confused with the savoury ones on the right, marked with a 'S' to distinguish them.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 31, 2009 05:25PM

Hi gailfus.

Sorry that I am late with the pies!

More importantly, mrs. SkidMarks & I hope to see you next May at the Ffiesta,I am quite surprised that the De Vere will let us back! It is easy to find the hotel as it is near the Lola Vavoom statue.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 31, 2009 07:45PM

Also going to the Ffiesta for the first time this year - my Mother and I will be very easy to spot because we both look like Mrs Danvers...

Swindon and Cardiff? Interesting itinerary, possibly not the most obvious destinations.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: September 01, 2009 07:23AM

I would love to get up to the FFiesta, but student funds and being on the wrong continent entirely preclude that.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: September 01, 2009 07:14PM

Same here. I would suggest we get together and have our own Ffiesta just to spite the rest of them, except you're still on the wrong continent for that.

Posted by: robert (153.107.97.---)
Date: September 02, 2009 05:25AM

How can Martin be on the wrong continent when I am?

Date: September 02, 2009 06:22AM

Aren't you on the same wrong continent, robert?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 02, 2009 08:57AM

As many if not most citizens of the U.K don't consider it to be a part of Europe, any of you on a continent are on the wrong one.

Date: September 03, 2009 02:12AM

Martin and I would have been on the same continent of Gondwana about 500 million years ago.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 03, 2009 04:21AM

Good ole Gondwana land. If that was so, then we would have platypus with teeth! (fossil records show that platypus of that time had teeth)

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.4.160.threembb.co.uk)
Date: September 03, 2009 08:24AM

Those wacky terraformers. Always planting fake fossils for fooling Gondwanians!

Date: September 04, 2009 12:12AM

How would we know if platypus of the time had teeth or if it was just fossils of the time that had teeth? Haven't fossils evolved too?

Date: September 04, 2009 06:51AM

Let us build a time machine to go back 150 million years and find out!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 04, 2009 10:24AM

Ah, but if you build a time machine then you could end up giving the fossils teeth and messing up the whole timeline. Much better to introduce custard at a premature point in history and see what happens.

Edited to remove any lingering sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 10:24AM by EgonSpengler.

Date: September 04, 2009 02:01PM

Excellent advice as always.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 04, 2009 09:39PM

They stopped needing teeth when their diet was changed by the rather surprising arrival of premature but plentiful custard.

Look at the damage you have already wrought and desist immediately.

MartinB is on the Wrong Continent Entirely whilst you, robert, are on the Wrong Continent. Totally different places, like confusing New York with York.

Date: September 05, 2009 06:08AM

I remember now. MartinB, you're on the wrong wrong continent. Everyone else, you're on the right wrong continent, or else on the right right continent. And me? I'm on the wrong right continent (i.e. one that does not allow me to get to the Ffiesta).And the platypus is just wrong.

Now that that's all settled…

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 05, 2009 02:27PM

I have noticed that primodial soup as been changed to primordial custard. Would anyone care to explain?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.