New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Hello
Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 05, 2009 06:19PM

It was ES's fault although I think on this occasion he had a little help from Bibwit.

I'm putting all my faith in MuseSusan getting it sorted.

Hello
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 06, 2009 02:44AM

I think I'm on the same wrong continent as most of you,
where we shouldn't be finding the odd dead platypus by the side of the road, but do anyway-
or at least I do sometimes, though nobody wants to believe me...

I thought the custard was supposed to go to the treehouse, or maybe that was gravy-
but as long as we have pie, it's all good...

Unless, of course, I've forgotten something else... Oh, right!

Welcome!

Have some cocoa, it's good with the sweet pies & tastes even better with a dash of cayenne-
if you can take the heat...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: gailfus (192.227.62.---)
Date: September 08, 2009 09:55PM

Well, this was truly a lovely and welcoming set of posts! I feel right at home for the first time since...well, since I visited with family this past weekend! My family has these kinds of conversations regularly. This past weekend it was about pairs (why a "pair of pants" when that concept is so very different from a "pair of shoes?"--and when your lease is up, do you "release" or "re-lease?").

I appreciate the offers of pie--I'm not partial to either sweet or savory, and I would think that having both for dinner would solve the problem of having to choose between them. My mother makes an dreamy pie crust that melts in the mouth (vs. the absolute shoe leather I've produced in the past--which is why I keep my heavy hand making bread and not pastry) and we had the joy of consuming both apple and pumpkin pies this weekend.

Not much of a chocolate drinker, I'm afraid, but I do love tea. I was employed by Human Resources at Harvard University for about 18 months in my distant past and we had tea every afternoon in our office. Mary, an older lady I worked with, insisted on it and we went along gladly. She'd heat up the electric kettle and someone would trot down to the Au Bon Pain on the first floor to buy buns and fruit conserves and butter. It was a bonding time--we are all scattered now, but still keep in touch thanks to Mary's afternoon teas.

As for being on the wrong continent, I have never been off this one (to my great despair and chagrin) and have no point of comparison. Maybe after the Ffiesta I will have a better handle on this discussion. I'll be excited to have a passport for the first time in my life, and actually have a need to use it!

Cheers,

gailfus

"In the absence of clearly defined goals we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia." - Unknown

Date: September 09, 2009 01:51PM

Gosh - you'll love the Treehouse then. It's just like visiting the family - starts nicely enough with tea and biscuits, but it ends up with people throwing things at you, arguing about who is charge and making you play charades. Oh, and there's an elephant.

Very glad about the passport, don't forget to get it back dated to 1985, or they won't let you into the ffiesta.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.zone6.bethere.co.uk)
Date: September 09, 2009 03:20PM

The elephant's a little quantum. There may be none or several at any given point in time.

E.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 12:14AM

If it's "a little quantum", does that mean it's a quantum superposition of quantum and not-quantum?

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 10, 2009 09:01AM

Quantum Elephant:

A species of elephant found/unfound in lands once of ancient Mesopotamia. The quantum elephant is distinguished by its tendency to wear a red fez, an ability to be undefined until observed and a smell akin to rhubarb.

Date: September 10, 2009 09:05AM

Yes - but how big is it?

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: September 10, 2009 09:30AM

Which one?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 10:36AM

Is it possible to know both how big it is and whether or not it exists?

Can't you only know either or neither?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 10, 2009 01:15PM

With the smell of rhubarb, it make speckles the perfect accompaniment to custard.

Date: September 10, 2009 01:39PM

SkidMarks isn't allowed any pudding - his punishment for doubting the existence of Speckles.

Date: September 10, 2009 03:42PM

But I know Speckles exists!

I just don't know how big an elephant Speckles is. (Or what sex, hence avoiding he/she debate.)

Date: September 10, 2009 03:42PM

But I know Speckles exists!

I just don't know how big an elephant Speckles is. (Or what sex, hence avoiding he/she debate.)

Date: September 10, 2009 03:43PM

And you all have just lost the Game.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.98.---)
Date: September 11, 2009 06:25AM

Damn. On the plus side, if we have speckles in here, we can ensure he's not going to flap *his* wings and cause storms... It's bad enough with the butterflies.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.zone6.bethere.co.uk)
Date: September 11, 2009 08:34PM

What butterflies? What game? Why are we still here? Speckles? Curses on that panto threat that introduced Speckles! Was it me?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 13, 2009 12:06PM

[At mention, of panto ... ]

"oh, yes it was"

"speckles is behind you ... behind you"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.