New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Baby Thursday!
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 10:52PM

For those who haven't spotted it -

===========================================

21st April 03 +++ Fforde News Fflash: On the 14th April, 2003, a baby daughter was born in Nottingham, UK, to delighted parents Steve and Sam Crowden. The little lady was named after a certain literary detective: Thursday. This is a Nextian first and both myself and Mari, Landen, Thursday, Pickwick and all the regulars wish little Thursday and parents all health and happiness. When the midwife was told that the baby was to be named Thursday after a character in a book, she said: 'It's not 'The Eyre Affair' is it'? When told yes, she said the book had been discussed at her local book group. However, she didn't know a second book was around, so Steve and Sam pointed her in the right direction. We at Fforde Website Grand Central hope to elaborate on Thursday's progress at a later date. +++

==============================================

Congratulations to Steve and Sam (if they happen to pop by), but most especially to little Thursday, who will have the coolest name on the playground.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Re: Baby Thursday!
Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 11:00PM

those parents are *so* going to regret that later when little Thursday is a teenager.....
Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland named their daughter Zulieka after the character in Max Beerbohm's(?) book.
My brother Chris and his wife, Sharon, named their son AyJy (literally pronounced as A..J.) after his AJS motorbike. Mum said they should be grateful it wasn't a Japanese bike. Dad's answer was that he thought 'Kawazaki Taylor' had a certain ring to it.

Date: April 22, 2003 11:05PM

Thursday isn't actually that far off the wall, and at least it's bloody obvious how to spell it.

Pedants may question the date of birth, however.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2003 11:08PM

I'm not sure I like those names, it's all very well in a book, but i know people who called their kids October and Leto and Cornelius and I just don't think it's fair on the kids

Date: April 22, 2003 11:13PM

Still, at least Thursday isn't in the same league as Paula Yates' children.

Fifi trixibelle
Peaches
Heavenly Hyrani Tigerlily

I can't remember the one between Fifi and Peaches but it was equally unforgivable. Just as well she didn't marry Frank Zappa

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2003 11:52PM

Thursday can't be any worse than Twila and at least people can spell and pronounce it correctly! And at least one in 6 of her underpants can be personalized!

(you know they generally don't make ones that say Sunday!)

Date: April 22, 2003 11:58PM

Why get out of bed at the weekend at all ;-)

PSD

==========

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 23, 2003 08:07PM

Well, if I recall correctly there was an American actress called Tuesday Weld.

I think days of the week make quite classy names. Unless, of course, you happen to be Wednesday Addams.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 24, 2003 01:06AM

When I was doing a week's work experience in a bank, many moons ago, there was a customer named V. D. Cox.
Now *that's* cruel.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 09:47AM

I worked in a DHSS office over 20 years ago and we had an Elvis Presley, a Moby Dick and a Mohammed Ali on the books.

Of course, all new staff were given the task of calling out claimants for interviews and of course they were all given the name Mr Hugh Janus and of course we all laughed ourselves silly - still brings a smile to my face to think of it!

My sister went to school with a girl with first names of April May June - can't remember her surname.

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 10:39AM

July?

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 06:38PM

There really was a "Genghis Cohen" (which, as I expect you all, know, is the full name of the Discworld character "Cohen the Barbarian") in our own version of reality: According to an issue of Readers' Digest that I read many years ago (while my father had a subscription to that magazine) he was a dentist in New Zealand... I wonder how many of his patients knew what the "G." stood for?

"Some days I diet, other days (including this one :-) they serve lasagne."

Date: April 24, 2003 06:55PM

That's about as bad as having the name Dr. Vlad M. Paler (the a had umlatts) and being a hematologist! I remember seeing that somewhere as a real doctor. I think he's in Florida somewhere. But don't quote me on it.

(for those who don't get that, Vlad the Impaler is where the legend of Dracula came from - and hematology is the study of blood)

In our neighborhood, we have a plumber whose name is Floyd Flood and family electrician business called Sparks and Sons Electrical. Talk about living up to the family name!

Date: April 24, 2003 07:38PM

Ah, now we stumble on to the subject of nominative determinism, which clogged up the back pages of New Scientist for quite some time.

I knew somebody called Ben D. Smith, which caused some amusement.

PSD

==========

Date: April 24, 2003 08:16PM

A friend of mine is Thomas Edward Cooper, usually abbreviated to Tom E. Cooper. His father was a big fan of the magician (Tommy Cooper, for any Americans)

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 24, 2003 08:20PM

I've a friend in NZ named Karlene R. who's first husband's last name was Sole--making her 'K.R. Sole'.

Thankfully, she's since remarried.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: April 24, 2003 08:24PM

Some friend, if you didn't warn her about it!

PSD

==========

Date: April 24, 2003 08:25PM

I almost ended up with one of "those" kind of names....

my former fiancee's last name was Harner...I used to also go by "Twi" for short with my friends...

If you say the names together quickly... Twi Harner... it comes out sounding like "Try Harder"... especially if you have a stuffy nose and a slight speech impediment (or a lot of alcohol)! I got teased about that a lot. So I took it to heart, tried harder and got a better husband! (with a better last name! LOL)

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 24, 2003 08:30PM

Don't look at me--I didn't know Karl until after she'd divorced the guy (but kept his name), so it was too late by then.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: April 24, 2003 08:37PM

You would have thought the Vicar would have raised an eyebrow or two when they went to organise it.

Why is my mind immediately cast to Life Of Brian?

"Welease Woger - the Wavishing Wapist!"

Apparently George Harrison was really keen on a scene featuring a waiter struggling to find a table for thirteen...

PSD

==========

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.