New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Baby Thursday!
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 09:08PM

There is (or at least there was) someone in the Sheffield phone book called I Askew.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 09:11PM

Would love to be their optician -

"I hate to say it, but you're boss-eyed."

"What's that then?"

Could you resist saying it?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 09:15PM

*further thudding of head against penguin*

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 10:36PM

and of course there's Thomas Crapper, inventor of the flush toilet.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 10:41PM

Amazingly true !

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 10:51PM

amazing that it's true, or amazing that one of my posts is? ;-)

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 11:46PM

I think that having an unusual name (and I am qualified in that department)
is a bit annoying for the first 13 or so years of life when you desperately want to be exaclty like everyone else, and after that it's great beacuase everyone thinks you are automatically a bit cool.

Until, in my case, SKODA decide to steal your name and then everyone thinks it's TERRIBLY funny to ask you about your servicing, milage and airbags.... but I digress.

Unusual names are coool.

Therefore a person with one is often accused of being interesting. Even without a scrap of evidence that this is, in fact, so...

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Date: April 24, 2003 11:51PM

My name is boringly normal, although my surname is pretty unique. Apparently I can trace my Polish family back to 1380-something, whereas over here I can only get back about two generations...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 25, 2003 06:17AM

Somewhere in the US midwest there is a mortuary owned by Slaughter and Son's.

As for annoying name questions, try being a Hannah without any sisters.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2003 06:42AM

In my hometown we had the Minus Funeral Home. No one seemed to find the name strange at all.

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 10:50AM

I heard this on John Peel's Radio 4 show, Home Truths. There was this couple who wanted to name their children with really interesting names, but didn't want to put them through the hell of school with them.

So they didn't tell them what their middle names were until they absolutely had to - driving licence/passport etc.

One was called John Smith (or something equally nondescript). His middle name was 'Zambezi'. Alas, I can't remember what the girl's name was...

age 5-17, nightmare. Age 18+, it becomes cool...

Date: April 25, 2003 11:13PM

I've just run across a person whose name is A. Topic.

Date: April 26, 2003 01:06AM

I hope you didn't hurt them too much. Should pay more attention to your driving, Hannah

Date: April 26, 2003 04:21AM

She seems to be ok, just a bit dented.

Date: April 26, 2003 12:44PM

sounds like most of us on the fforum then

Date: April 28, 2003 07:35PM

seeing the world slightly askew is more interesting

Post Edited (05-01-03 23:45)

Posted by: crazy_june (---.look.ca)
Date: May 01, 2003 09:44PM

As for annoying names, the only thing worse than having a middle name after a tree (June is for juniper), is having a first name given after a glider! Dad used to fly on a thing called Die Weihe, which is said to mean 'chicken hawk' in German (anybody out there can confirm? I always wandered); he derived my name from it. Needles to say, grade school was a nightmare...

Date: May 02, 2003 10:10PM

My brother Geoff and I both have middle names, but my brother Chris doesn't. Mum was talking to the Vicar about his christening, and got as far as Christopher, when the vicar interrupted and said 'Not Christoper Robin.' This was what Mum *had* planned, but after his comment, she didn't want to say so. As she couldn't think of another name at the time, he is Christopher No-Middle-Name Taylor.

I have a friend called Tony. This is not short for Anthony, his mother wanted just Tony. Her Vicar refused to baptise him as Tony, and said it had to be Anthony. His mother decided that if the church was going to be so narrow-minded, she wasn't going to have him baptised, and didn't.

Date: May 02, 2003 10:12PM

Fortunately the church had no problem with me being Ben, although various middle names had to be rejected until my parents realised I'd have to have two to avoid unfortunate acronyms...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2003 10:18PM

'Twila' has kind of grown on me. Or at least I've grown into it. I almost ended up as "Maudie Marie"....EEEEESH! I just wish people would learn to pronounce my name correctly!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.