New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
finally...
Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 08, 2003 01:22AM

caught up on the fforum posts.

egads, is that the time? You can tell I've got the house to meself. Only 5 hours until I need to get up for work...

Re: finally...
Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 08, 2003 09:08AM

i have given up, no net at home yet and can't come on much from work...

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 08:45PM

I caught up yesterday. For about ten minutes. And now I'm behind again dammit...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 09:54PM

There are a fair few posts going up, aren't there...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:26AM

People are talking too much. Perhaps we should limit ourselves to only four posts each day.

BWahahahahahahahaha!

I do a song and dance routine too, for those who wish to know....

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:01PM

PSD at only four posts a day?

Hahahahahahahaha.....

Sorry, I'll control myself <muffled giggling>

Actually, myself at only four posts a day, come to that...

<manic laughter>

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:07PM

Oops, there goes another post without any information content...

Question: Would we pass the Turing test?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:39PM

There's no doubt an obscure pun to be made from wondering whether this particular three-ring circus would pass the tu-ring test but to be honest it's been a long day and I'm tired so g'night all from this corner of England

(yaawnssszzzzzzz)

Date: July 09, 2003 10:41PM

Query: What is the Turing Test?

Posted by: AlisonS (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:43PM

T'ring t'ring anybody home? Nope failed that one....

ok bed for me too - and if I'm a pain for GSD's sake tell me all you people who've been posting for years and I'll leg it - I'm the rawest newbie & seem to have developed posting frenzy in the last 2 days - don't want to mess things up though or be pushy - guess you must be good people to be around or summat!

Night then...

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:44PM

Crikey Kaz, don't ask me, I'm only here to crack puns about his name before I shuffle off to bed! I'm guessing it's something named after Alan Turing, the mathematician/codebreaking/early computers guy?

Date: July 09, 2003 10:46PM

That'd be him... and Bletchley Park & that - but the test? Nope, sorry...

Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:52PM

To save PSD the hassle (and to up my count of posts!) The Turing Test is a (relatively) famous test for AI. Basically a person chats to either a computer or a person via a sort of Messenger / IRC type computery chat thingy. The test is to tell whether or not they are a real person. If you guess that a computer is a person then the computer passes the test. Ummm ... I think that's the gist of it. I saw a website a while back where you could have a go with some of the primitive versions (I think it was called ELIZA).

The concept of wanting to tell if a computer is human just by chatting over the internet seemed a bit foolish to me. And of course, I've met a lot of people who are less socially adept than computers anyway, so doesn't that kind of invalidate the test?

Date: July 09, 2003 11:05PM

Aaaahhhh! Thank you for that, Milo. At least somebody knew.

Alison - of COURSE we're good people to be around. We're WONDERFUL people. We are the bestest people in the whole wide world! So stick around. We're all pushy, mad lunatics so another one will just slip seamlessly in

Date: July 09, 2003 11:12PM

Exccy, thanks - funny I got that impression too... lunatic, moi? Only when it's not overcast

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 03:49PM

Milo, I gotta say, that's one heck of a complicated test for AI.

I'm not sure ANY of the cows around here could pass that, y'know. But then again, most of them seem quite happy being "serviced" by the local bulls. Can't really see that Articficial Insemination business catching on at all somehow.

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 03:53PM

I had a go on a computer programme trying to pass the Turing Test (I think it might have been Eliza, come to think of it) It was ok on simple things, but as soon as you tried to go 'Bursar' on it, everything broke down. It just didn't know how to react to me going 'I have a little spoon, you know'.

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:04PM

Actually, to me at least, the Turing test is one of the simplest tests for artifical intelligence.

Basically, you sit at a computer and have a conversation. You don't know whether there's a person at the other end or a computer. Can you tell ??

Usually it's done with a couple of people and an AI machine. If you can't tell the difference, the AI programme is good and has passed. Normally, it's a doddle because the computer essentially rephrases what you're saying and the conversation is stillted.

The non-sequiters round here would bamboozle any computer. Hell, they bamboozle me.

Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:39PM

I dunno about it being "a doddle" with technology being now what it is. I think the BBC ran something like it a while ago and it was pretty tough to tell and I believe one of the AIs has to be taken out for being too rude (having picked up swear words or something from another person).

Ptolemy - most cows have got to weigh at least a tonne. Anything wanting to stick a needle or syringe into one had better pass some kind of test, although admittedly, a dexterity test would probably be more appropriate. Must be a human preoccupation with talking or something...

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:45PM

Thanks Milo. Actually I worked it out for myself in the end.... AI stands for Artificial Intelligence and not Artificial Insemination, right? Derrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.