New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: can i be a bit nosy?
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 10:31PM

We just put it down to some kind of insecurity about the size of their weapons...

I think they may have specified a Sherman, which lead to much sniggering...

Post Edited (04-25-03 23:31)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: April 26, 2003 11:56AM

I don't drink tea generally, but I occassionally go to a Russian Tea Shop for an open mic evening, where I have to drink tea. Obviously. They've got about 80 varieties, I think, and my favourites are the ones that don't really taste like tea.

Lemon is nice. Honey Spice is loooovely, as is Strawberry and Kiwi. Yogi Yogi Tchai has a cool name. Chocolate tea isn't as nice as it should be, and neither is cinnamon. Apple strudel tea is nice, especially when taken with apple tobacco from a shisha. Mmmm.

www.tchaiovna.com

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 27, 2003 02:13PM

Hmm, well personally, I'll drink any tea, in bags or not, with milk, warmed or not, with any amount of sugar between none and four spoons. Can't abide coffee tho...

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 27, 2003 11:17PM

Anecdote:
Stevo was visiting Mort when she offered to make tea, and asked how he wanted it.
"Blue", said Stevo, wittily.
Mort had plenty of food colourings; he got his blue tea....

Date: April 27, 2003 11:21PM

Anybody else remember green cola and blue raspberryade? We must have been high as kites as kids, with all those food colourings...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 27, 2003 11:22PM

When I was a lot smaller my mother used to de 'magic milk' by secreting a bit of food couring into the bottom of the glass first. As she poured the milk, it changed colour....

PSD

==========

Date: April 28, 2003 12:40AM

Cool, and a sneaky way to get children to drink more milk. I went off plain milk after being forced to drink it daily at school. I love milkshakes though, especially mint

Date: April 28, 2003 01:01AM

Mmmm... Sirop de menthe...

Post Edited (04-28-03 02:03)

PSD

==========

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 28, 2003 12:29PM

What about Tab Clear coke?

It scared the life out of me! It tasted quite like coke, but was completely clear, leading me to wonder what the £$%^&* went into ordinary cola!

The world we live in is strange.

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: April 28, 2003 12:33PM

Saw vanilla coke at the weekend. Sounds dreadful. I like proper coca cola.

Our cafe at work has stopped doing coke ("it's not very popular...") and now just does pepsi. I can tell the difference.

Mistakenly picked up a Pepsi Max on friday instead of regular pepsi. It was foul...

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: April 28, 2003 12:48PM

any cola is vile!

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 28, 2003 01:06PM

I saw one of those advurts for Vanilla Coke at the weekend and was just wondering who would be stupid enough to fall for it, when along comes my little brother clutching a bottle. So in the interests of science I stole it off him and tried some.
The verdict, not bad, it tasted quite like cream soda, very smooth.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: April 28, 2003 01:46PM

I've tried the Vanilla Coke too. It's OK,

"Some days I diet, other days they serve lasagne."

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 28, 2003 07:09PM

I hate fizzy drinks. Up to and including champagne.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2003 09:10PM

I LOVE VANILLA COKE! It's like coke with a cream soda finish...it's a bit thicker. We've had it here in the States in our area since last Spring. I'm addicted. The diet version is quite good as well, but it has to be ice cold.

However, Diet Coke with lemon is VILE! It's rather like how you would imagine drinking lemon furniture polish would be. It smells just like Lemon Pledge!

Post Edited (04-28-03 23:09)

Date: April 28, 2003 11:03PM

I think I'll stick to Dandelion and Burdock. I grew up down south, where it isn't so common, but encountered it while visiting relatives oop north. So when I was on school holiday in the lake district, I bought some and offered it around, Funnily enough, my generosity was generally rejected. So that was all I bought.

Date: April 28, 2003 11:30PM

Is elderflower the flowers of elderberry trees? I've always wondered but always forgot to ask. Nice flavour anyway...

And why do Elderberry trees always have that weird smelling green stuff growing on them? I'm never sure if it's algae or lichen, but it's really dusty. I always used to climb in a huge Elderberry tree when I was a kid, and the smell has always stuck in my mind the same way the juice of its berries used to stick in white t-shirts...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: April 29, 2003 09:23AM

Yes. You can pick the elderflowers around now (May time) and get elderflower
wine/juice. The berries ripen in Sept/Oct to give elderberry stuff. Elderberry wine is much easier to get right than elderflower (too delicate a taste for this clumsy oaf to master).

I think the smell is the sap of the elderberry bush. When I'm trying to cut the saplings out of my hedge it smells awful. Cutting other shrubs and the hedge is fine; it's just the elderberry (except the eucalyptus - that smells great).

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: April 29, 2003 06:49PM

I don't like the (Diet Coke + Lemon) drink either, but _ although always a southerner _ do like 'Dandelion & Burdock'. I was introduced to the latter drink during my childhood: My mother saw it in a Co-Op store, remembered that she had liked it herself as a child (She was also a southerner, but had been evacuated from London to somewhere near Halifax for about a year during the war and discovered it there...) and brought a bottle home for us to try. I can usually find it in my local supermarket. And there's a bottle of Elderflower Cordial in my section of the kitchen right now...

"Some days I diet, other days they serve lasagne."

Date: April 29, 2003 07:50PM

Got a demi-john each of blackberry and elderberry wine - vintage 2001 - maturing quietly in my bathroom. Lovely colour they are too. Should get round to bottling them soon. My first try at winemaking, so we'll have to see. Might have a bash at making elderflower wine, as there are a lot of elder trees around here. And brambles. In 2001 I harvested about 5 lbs elderberries and 10lbs blackberries, all within a couple of minutes of my front door. I love Sheffield.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.