New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Differences in Editions
Posted by: Caupano (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 09:50PM

Hi, Fforum,

I just got the German translations of the Thursday Next Series and found something strange: In the foreword of the books 1 to 4 dtv, the German publisher, writes, the books had been translated from the American edition due to the authors wish because of plot-differences between both editions.
I'm lightly confused now. Has someone of you read one or more book of the series in both versions and has encountered and could give account of differences aside from spelling?

Thanks a lot,
Caupano

Re: Differences in Editions
Posted by: MartinB (196.210.219.---)
Date: December 09, 2009 10:38AM

Have not heard of anything like that....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 12:13PM

That is also news to me. I only own the first one in German, and there it only says: translated by Lorenz Stern, "englische Originalausgabe Hodder & Stoughton", which clearly refers to the English version. No forword included, either.

I cannot remember there being differences between the German translation and the English original (that I also own), apart from what you would expect from the act of translating itself.

PS: Just remembered, there was this: [www.jasperfforde.com]
US and English editions had different winners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2009 12:42PM by PrinzHilde.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.104.---)
Date: December 09, 2009 12:40PM

How odd... But how wonderful, if it could be worked into the series as a plotline...

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Re: Differences in Editions - original quote
Posted by: Caupano (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: January 22, 2010 04:28PM

Hello, Evereybody!

This is said in the 4th Paperback-Edition of "Der Fall Jane Eyre", "In einem anderen Buch", "Im Brunnen der Manuskripte" und "Es ist was faul" from dtv:

"Um Missverständnissen vorzubeugen, möchten wir darauf hinweisen, dass die deutschen Übersetzungen der Thursday-Next-Romane auf Wunsch des Autors nach den amerikanischen Ausgaben seiner Bücher erfolgen, deren Handlungsführung und Textgestalt nicht überall mit den englischen übereinstimmen."

Which may be translated as

"To avoid misunderstandings we'd like to point out that the German translations of the Thursday-Next-Novels are, following the authors own wishes, done from the American Editions of his books, which do not correspond in every detail regarding textual shape and storyline."

So Jasper bade them to use the American edition because of different plots or what?

Caupano
Caupano

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:33PM

Intriguing.
There appear to be slightly fewer errors in the USA editions than in the UK editions. As some of the errors are closer to plotholes than to typos, this could be regarded as plot difference.
Rather far fetched, I admit.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.zone6.bethere.co.uk)
Date: January 23, 2010 07:39PM

At the Nottingham signing last Wednesday, he was asked about this and said there were no significant differences. Some words may be changed, but that's about it. I think Eddie Russet's last name was changed to a different shade of red, as an example.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.