New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shades of Grey review
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 11:29AM

Since Monday, it's sitting - yet unread - on my bookshelf.

<shows his golden procrastinator's club card>

Posted by: steeljam (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 10:26PM

I think we were all waiting for a Shades of Grey entry to be added to the Forum list.

-----------------------------------------
Joint winner Colouring Competition 2007
and outright winner of the 3 time winner of the Ffestival Dodo Feeding competition.
Fforde Ffiesta Ffotos are here - [www.flickr.com]

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 12, 2010 10:45AM

I feel it is a re-read book. I won't fully appreciate it until I read it next. I was, all in all, quite in the wrong state of mind at the time due to being on several planes travelling for 22 hours (airtime) as well as airports. Time, is now my most wanted commodity.

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb800.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 25, 2010 03:10PM

I have a readers review version of the book one the publishers and book stores get (It was for free) I will buy the original version to add to collection.

Reviewing it I am finding it hard to get into so many layers of the story set up but like his Eyre Affair it took a while to get into it and what the nub of the story. I am piecing it together . I haven't found it as good as his other works but I have also had disruption and not been able to read it in one sitting.

I love the ideas, and the usual FForde word plays etc are in there.
It is one to re read to catch all the gems hidden inside

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 03:14PM by mr puniverse.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 09:39AM

It is the second of March - am I the only one waiting for The Answers?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 02, 2010 10:12AM

Possibly. Which Answers do you mean?

Date: March 02, 2010 10:34AM

Date: March 02, 2010 01:44PM

Thank you

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: March 03, 2010 07:23AM

Despite announcement on the What's new page, Answers and Winners are not yet present on the Sleuthing page. Perhaps Our Author forgot to upload them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 07:24AM by delacuesta.

Date: March 03, 2010 09:10AM

There now

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 11:06AM

Ha. I would have graded myself with 10 points, but probably I only got 9.5. I mentioned Yoda, but I had no idea he has claws.

And would someone help me count? If the 30th Olympiad is in 2012, then the 96th would be in 2012 + 66 × 4 = 2276, not 2268?

Date: March 03, 2010 01:03PM

Perhaps 'The Something That Happened’ caused a change in the numbering?

Posted by: Martin Stockdale (---.europe.csc.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 01:49PM

I worked out the 96th Olympiad as being 2276 as well. I notice that in the answers, Jasper says XCIV Olympiad,which is 94th, whereas in my notes I wrote 96th (XCVI). 94th would indeed be 2268.

Not got my copy of the book with me, so I don't know what was actually printed there, but if you thought it was 96th as well then maybe it was that.

Either way, Jasper does say "We accepted minor arithmetic jiggyphobies, since you were so totally on the right track." so I'm guessing that counted.

I think I got all of them except The Fallen Man, but I'm not sure exactly what my answer for the "Oz" question would have been marked as - I picked Animal, Sam the Eagle and Yoda (and mentioned Frank Oz in a note). Also, my source put the Mappa Mundi at 1290, I'm guessing that counted as "around 1300" but who knows?

Ah well, it was good fun! It did distract from reading the book a little, though, so I may resist the temptation to do the one for TN6.

Date: March 03, 2010 02:37PM

Follow up to this: The book (UK edition at least) definitely says XCVI Olympiad, which is 96, and I work out at 2276.

In the answers, Jasper says XCIV which is 94, and matches to his answer of 2268.

So, it looks like there's been some confusion somewhere. I'll drop him an email to check. Either way, I'm sure Jasper counted both answers as correct.

Posted by: elrunethe2nd (---.lns1.wel.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 04, 2010 12:41AM

EgonSpengler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started to read it, then got a bit gloomy,
> loaned it to my pretty housemate, and now can't
> restart due to apathy.

Indeed. It was tough going until it started getting fun.
But for the first part, I literally felt like I was struggling through 1984 again. It has that same feeling. But still, great when you get into it.

Date: March 04, 2010 09:12AM

Jasper's confirmed that there was a misprint in this (doesn't say if in the book or in the question/answer) but that it hasn't affected the answers.

Date: March 04, 2010 09:12AM

Definitely my favourite of all the FForde books. It has the humour and strangeness of the other books but seems more carefully constructed somehow. I absolutely loved it and envy any of you that haven't read it yet.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.