New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Is Jasper being hypocritical?
Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 12:10AM

First of all, I certainly mean no disrespect to Jasper, whose work has never failed to entertain me greatly, nor is this any attempt to "call him out". But I read an observation regarding some comments he's made (I've seen them on this site) and I can't help but admit that whomever made it really does have a point. Tell me, how is it that Jasper can claim to be opposed to the idea of fanfiction / fan-made works about Thursday et al, when the TN series is nothing other than one big, crossover fanfiction of many literary works?

What are your thoughts on this? I don't know how to feel, myself.

----

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 12:12AM by Planet Cool.

Re: Is Jasper being hypocritical?
Posted by: Tron Pesto (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 02:18AM

Well I think saying that Jasper's work is fanfiction is a little bit (lotta bit?) of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, I understand your point that it "borrows" from and arguably extends some literary plot lines and characters, but it's not fanfiction in fanfiction's true form.

Fanfiction generally is a direct extension of the characters in a plotline and universe established by previous original literature - staying along that plot line and in that universe. For example, Miss Haversham in the Nextian Universe could never be considered an extension of Dickens.

Nevertheless, once again, I can see your point.

But I think that "hypocritical" is much too strong of a word. Maybe "surprising" suits things better. I would say it is "surprising" that Jasper is not a fan of fanfiction as the Nextian Universe is based on OTHER literature and literature itself.

And either way, it's his life, he can like or dislike what he wants for whatever reason he wants. That doesn't make him hypocritical.

Posted by: steeljam (---.range86-157.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 10:49AM

I think you miss the whole point about Jasper's views on Fan Fiction.

Let us assume that Jasper writes fan fiction.
All the books and subjects were created by authors now dead and the books are out of copyright.

However most writers of Fan Fiction are extending the stories from authors who are alive and whose books are not out of copyright.

I know that Terry Practhett stopped reading forums such as alt.fan.pratchett to avoid reading Fan Faction and suggestions for plot lines. Someone did try and accuse him of stealing his idea for a story.

So not being a fan of FF is to some extent a survival ploy.

-----------------------------------------
Joint winner Colouring Competition 2007
and outright winner of the 3 time winner of the Ffestival Dodo Feeding competition.
Fforde Ffiesta Ffotos are here - [www.flickr.com]

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 11:07AM

Are all historical novels fan fiction?

I am afraid, PC, that I must side with the two above. I accept your point that Jasper is making use of existing characters, but he is not trying to write stories in their universe. The primary characters are all originals.

I am, however, happy that you raised the issue, as it would be interesting to see what the general view is, especially as we now live in a time when the theft and distribution of copyright material is considered by many to be acceptable.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (203.20.33.---)
Date: February 06, 2010 04:48PM

Interesting... Let's define fan fic! Is it fan fic if it is set in the same world as the original author's work? Is it if it uses the same characters? Is it fan fic if the new author does something completely new with the established materials? Or is it fan fic if it uses the world and characters? I personally like fan fic, in spite of all the rubbish, there are some real gems, and some of the good ones i've read have been wonderfully imaginative- but they could have written something totally new.

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: February 07, 2010 12:12PM

My view is that his work is not really fan-fiction. Much fan fiction is an attempt to put someone's own views into an existing universe, usually using existing characters, or at least how I see it.

The Star Wars novels in a way could be thought of as sanctioned fanfic.

Jasper is using characters already in the public domain (with the exception of Mrs Tiggy-Winkle) and writing something completely different.

That said, I do not see anything inherently wrong with fanfic, provided no attempt is made to profit from it and acknowledgement to sources is given. On the other hand, if an author makes a request that people do not use their work in fanfic, this should be respected. And the whole practice does provide gems like CSI: Death by Chocolate, which is a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/CSI crossover that, bizarrely, works.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: gailfus (208.84.184.---)
Date: February 12, 2010 08:18PM

I personally avoid fan fiction because it somehow feels like the writers think the original work was somehow incomplete or inadequate. I do believe that some fan fiction is, or at least can be, a form of very high praise. After all, the writers were inspired by the original works to be creative, themselves.

That said, I don't believe Jasper's work is fan fiction. Using nursery rhyme characters to populate the world in his very original stories is to me just a very clever way of bringing those characters to life--giving them a voice beyond their original tales. They do, after all, feel compelled to behave in the ways their creators wrote them (Jack can't eat fat, Goldilocks had to eat the porridge, etc).

If we have to classify Jasper's work in this way I think it's more of a social statement kind of writing--predetermined actions, trying to supercede or deny one's origins only to be reminded time and again of the limitations of one's inherent make-up...And now with Shades of Grey, more predetermined behaviors, but the strong desire to be more than society allows or accepts.

However, I like his description: odd. His writing is odd and quirky and silly at times, with references to so many familiar and beloved characters from childhood or mandatory literature class reading. I think it's brilliant, and I don't think it's fan fiction.

Cheers,

gailfus

"In the absence of clearly defined goals we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia." - Unknown

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.