New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Better than the book?
Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: March 09, 2010 01:55PM

Brought up on Alice In Wonderland books - my Mother collects them - but I thought in many ways the Tim Burton film was better than the book it was based on. It was certainly better than the reviews I'd read had lead me to expect - although I did find the 3d thing a bit distracting.

Since then I've been trying to think of any other films based on books that I'd rather watch than read. Are there any?

Re: Better than the book?
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 10, 2010 05:13AM

Bladerunner would be my first choice, the book was good too, but not as punchy as the film. Some of K Dick's work gets so caught up in those bizarre religious-like systems and drug things. The film was different though so not an exact adaptation by any means.

Usually I prefer the book (as in Howl's Moving Castle)and so on.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 10:55AM

I think that I prefer the film of "The Princess Bride" to the book, but it is a close-run thing.

I tend to treat "Bladerunner" "Androids" as separate entities because there is so little similarity. I suspect that I will feel the same about "Alice in Wonderland" as it is not the same story as the book, just the same characters. We are going to see it this afternoon.

Date: March 10, 2010 11:41AM

Stardust is another such one too.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: March 10, 2010 02:54PM

Not read it, but an awesome movie.

Trying to decide whether I prefer Neverwhere live-action (programme) or as a book. Is pretty close.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: March 10, 2010 10:41PM

We saw Tim Burton's Alice, and loved it! I don't think that it can be compared with the books, though as it is a sequel. I want a rocking-horse-fly.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 05:07AM

I second both Stardust and The Princess Bride. Also I'd add Twilight to the list, but only because the movie was mildly awful, while the book was enormously awful.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (141.132.132.---)
Date: March 18, 2010 05:35AM

Weird, I was discussing this with friends the other night!
Mine: Jaws, Labyrinth, Orlando, The Godfather (all of em!), Big Fish, A clockwork Orange, Fight Club (maybe... Close call though!), The Shining... Man, there are heaps, when I think about it!

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Date: March 18, 2010 09:45AM

I prefer the book of "A Clockwork Orange", even though I love the movie. As mrs. SkidMarks is a huge fan of Stephen King, she doesn't like the ambiguous ending of "The Shining". I am not a fan and prefer the film.

Hopefully Mr. Moore isn't a lurker here, but I prefer the movie version of "V for Vendetta" to the graphic novel.

Posted by: steeljam (---.range86-147.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 10:58PM

I would class Tim Burton's AiW in the same genre are Return to Oz and Hook in that they concerned a time after the original AiW story, a sequel where things had become worse, or run down.

That said I enjoyed the story and characterisation.

I was particularly impressed with the end titles. The surrounding of the titles were very real. I felt I could go up and touch them.

-----------------------------------------
Joint winner Colouring Competition 2007
and outright winner of the 3 time winner of the Ffestival Dodo Feeding competition.
Fforde Ffiesta Ffotos are here - [www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.71.208.203.cable.dyn.bal.ncable.com.au)
Date: March 21, 2010 07:47AM

Except that Frank L Baum wrote Return to Oz, and it's a part of the canon of the story... I dont think the others are.

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:08PM

steeljam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I was particularly impressed with the end titles.

Taken out of context sounds like a particularly sarcastic critic, but they were absolutely lovely.

Date: March 23, 2010 08:39AM

I did like the end credits too, I liked the film and don't mind it being different. Though some aspects strongly reminded me of Frank Beddor's versions The Looking Glass Wars and Seeing Redd.
Particularly the way the worlds were depicted and subsequently reminded of the graphic novel of TLGWs.

The cinema spoiled the end for me, because their system conked out during the most intense part and lost the visual, but kept the sound. Didn't feel the same and no staff were around either.

Date: March 23, 2010 10:13AM

BibwitHart Wrote:
>
> The cinema spoiled the end for me, because their
> system conked out during the most intense part and
> lost the visual, but kept the sound. Didn't feel
> the same and no staff were around either.

Before you demand a refund, please ensure that you did not have your 3-d glasses on back-to-front. This would allow the characters on-screen to see you, but not vice versa.

Date: March 24, 2010 11:32AM

It would have been a darn sight mote entertaining if that was the case! < takes mental to wear 3D glasses on backwards at next 3D film and test theory>

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.zone6.bethere.co.uk)
Date: April 12, 2010 08:51PM

Is 'The Prestige' better in book or film form? I've never read it.

Posted by: instantkarmie (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 06:08AM

Silence of the Lambs

Date: April 13, 2010 11:36AM

EgonSpengler Wrote:
> Is 'The Prestige' better in book or film form?
> I've never read it.

I enjoyed the film more than the book. (But as I enjoyed the 1998 "Godzilla", Tim Burton's "Alice" and equally enjoy both film and book editions of "Coraline" I may not be a reliable source.)

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 14, 2010 03:25PM

<Deja vu>

Posted by: ffordefan (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 02:30AM

"Being There" was a very close call for me. On the other ffoot, "the Unbearable Lightness of Being" wowed me as a film, while Kundera's book surprised me with hoe dry the prose was. Better? Hard to say...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.