New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Better than the book?
Posted by: MistyCat (---.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: April 16, 2010 07:22AM

Gormenghast.

It's the kind of book that exists only in the mind. It's not likely that one reader's interpretation matches any other interpretation, but the makers of the Gormenghast movie (ten years ago now!) managed to match my interpretation of the characters so perfectly that.. I believe the technical word is "spooky."

Even if you've never head of Mervyn Peake or Titus Groan, character names like Dr. Prunesquallor, Nannie Slag, Cora and Clarice Groan, Barquentine and Lady Fuchsia (and of course Steerpike) all must trigger some sort of impression in the mind. Added to this were things such as:

° Christopher Lee was an acquaintance of the author of the books, Mervyn Peake.

° Lady Gertrude's white crow was - at the time anyway - the only known white crow in the world.

° Author Mervyn Peake's granddaughters appear as extras in the movie.

Couple that with the knowledge that Mervyn Peake was slowly going utterly bonkers as he wrote the last volume of the trilogy and the books create a definite impression in the mind. Personal to me is the fact that another favourite author of the time (Robert Heinlein) was also becoming stranger and stranger in a strange land (a fact which became very obvious in his writings at the time) and Gormenghast became not so much a novel as an amazing experience.

In my mind, the movie captured all I expected and much that I didn't. Not my favourite movie, not better than the book, but as good as the book and that's high praise from me.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 16, 2010 10:49AM

I just ordered the 1925 'Lost World' silent movie (93 minute version). I'll let you know if it's better than the book.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 16, 2010 11:12AM

Even the awful SciFi Channel series is better than the book!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 16, 2010 11:33AM

Surely not?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 17, 2010 11:21AM

Sorry to any fans, but the book is turgid at best.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 21, 2010 08:23AM

There are some wonderfully awful versions of The Lost World out there, especially because of their abysmal dinosaurs.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.138.7.threembb.co.uk)
Date: July 14, 2010 10:13PM

The book "A Clockwork Orange" is stunning, but the film takes the essence and delivers something incredible.

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: July 15, 2010 09:16PM

20+ years later, I still have nightmares from that movie. Thanks for reminding me of it.

(please note the sarcasm...)

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 16, 2010 01:10PM

Wasn't the Glasgow underground train also referred to as the Clockwork Orange on account of the livery?

<Suggests VM avoid Glasgow>

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: July 19, 2010 08:51PM

And on account of being circular.

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: July 20, 2010 02:04PM

Honestly, I didn't understand the Orange movie at all, other than it showed how horrible people can be to one another. I doubt I will make it to the other side of the pond again, but if I should, I'll avoid Glasgow. No need to have nightmares while on vacation.

I can't think of any movie that was better than the book, but that may be due to my reluctance to see a movie after I've read the book. I really don't like knowing the end of the story even before I've begun watching. Harry Potter being an exception, but it shows the other reason I don't like seeing the movie after reading the book. They leave so much out, and they change things!

I know that's "artistic license" or whatever, but the movie series changed Hermione's character - made her more decisive and confident - and took away some of my favorite lines from the book. Really irritating. So I'm back to my usual behavior of ignoring the movie.

Sometimes, though, if I find out a movie I like is based on a book, I'll read the book to see if it's better. Usually it is.

Posted by: Zranoll (---.static.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 24, 2011 07:40PM

Fight Club

Posted by: steeljam (---.range86-145.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 25, 2011 06:07PM

Frankenstein

-----------------------------------------
Joint winner Colouring Competition 2007
and outright winner of the 3 time winner of the Ffestival Dodo Feeding competition.
Fforde Ffiesta Ffotos are here - [www.flickr.com]

Posted by: bunyip (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 26, 2011 04:46AM

Enid Blyton?

Posted by: ffquizgal05 (194.242.148.---)
Date: October 07, 2011 03:24PM

'Notes on a Scandal'- film ending better than book, I think.

Posted by: delacuesta (---.net.novis.pt)
Date: October 07, 2011 08:13PM

The Shawshank Redemption.

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-183.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 08, 2011 09:12AM

Hitchcock's The Thirty nine Steps prompted me to read John Buchan's original. It is the worst book that I have ever read; possibly the worst book ever published

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 08, 2011 02:07PM

Now, there's thread we ought to have

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 09, 2011 10:06AM

I actually quite enjoyed the 39 steps. Not quality literature granted but not bad filler.

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-183.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 10, 2011 10:19AM

Dear Cannibal Rabbit, re 39 steps you're probably a boy.

E'en so the film was much better than the book, and funny to boot.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.