New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Best book list time again
Posted by: gailfus (192.227.62.---)
Date: May 11, 2010 10:01PM

The Artemis Fowl series is awfully fun, and full of good tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic comments that make one smile if not laugh aloud. Colfer's characters are often very cheeky and are nearly all a bit nicer than they'd like to admit.

I've always loved the Chronicles of Narnia. They are a nice, quick read when there's not much time and I'd like to finish in one sitting. I think my favorite of those is Voyage of the Dawn Treader, mostly because of Eustice and his transformation into a "dull" child (according to his parents). C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters is fun to reread at intervals, as well. It's such an astute description of we humans and has a bit of a bite as well.

Cheers,

gailfus

"In the absence of clearly defined goals we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia." - Unknown

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.230.214.threembb.co.uk)
Date: May 12, 2010 06:28PM

<grins> To avoid libel I will only say that I like Jerry Pournelle when he is collaborating with Larry Niven and/or Stephen Barnes

I must look at his blog and see if he has mellowed, somewhat.

I love Larry Niven's books, but most don't fit the feel-good criteria.

Best book list time again
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 16, 2010 01:24AM

MC, I can't pick just one of the Varley, either- but I did find his website recently:
[www.varley.net]

Check it out if you're wondering why this has become a list of authors more than books-
he reads most of the same stuff that I do & it's that outlook on life that makes books worth reading...

Posted by: ibborobb (---.ipv4.regusnet.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 12:26PM

May I second "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" - One of the greatest opening lines to a book and definitely the earliest into a reading where I have laughed out loud

May I also submit "Travels with My Aunt" as a truly feel good book. A great illustration of growing old disgracefully and embarrassing your relatives.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 01:26PM

The Varley website reminded me of Mis Pettigrew Lives for a Day, which is not only a film but the most fantastically happy book.

Now published by Persephone Press who do a very good line in feel good books. Mostly female writers, mostly written between the wars and very British. I appreciate its a niche market but anybody else out there living the life of a 1950's English housewife will probably find something to love in their back catalogue.

[www.persephonebooks.co.uk]

zendao42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MC, I can't pick just one of the Varley, either-
> but I did find his website recently:
> [www.varley.net]
>
> Check it out if you're wondering why this has
> become a list of authors more than books-
> he reads most of the same stuff that I do & it's
> that outlook on life that makes books worth
> reading...

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: February 01, 2013 10:47PM

Steve James [www.dailymail.co.uk]

With thanks to Steve James on the Fforde Ffeiesta Facebook page

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginm.net)
Date: March 12, 2014 02:10AM

TheMadBlonde, this is the thread I mentioned. I thought the best way of getting it to you was by posting in it and bringing it to the top of the heap.I hope you're still lurking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 02:18AM by geg.

Posted by: bunyip (101.103.40.---)
Date: March 12, 2014 10:58PM

Well, I don't know of the '100 Best Books' but I just received a complete set of Ngaio Marsh novels.

I am as happy as a pig in spite of myself.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.