New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Unfilmable SF novels
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: June 08, 2011 03:39PM

No, really not, There are lots of stars but few actors. Stars can't pull of seven roles in a movie. I would add Geoffrey Rush to the list of people who could though.

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: June 08, 2011 04:52PM

I suppose I was thinking of the likes of Michael Sheen, Michael Gambon, Jim Broadbent and even the late lamented Peter Postlethwaite from this side of the pond.

Posted by: steeljam (---.range86-162.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 08, 2011 09:48PM

Animations and actors
It is an interesting concept.
First we had the Silents - Actors (actresses included) became famous for their looks, and acting ability.
Then came talkies and many top actors disappeared because their voices were not acceptable.
Now comes the Animation where voice and acting ability* is all.

* It is interesting just how much of the voice artist's mannerisms and posture are drawn (pun intended) the characterisation.

-----------------------------------------
Joint winner Colouring Competition 2007
and outright winner of the 3 time winner of the Ffestival Dodo Feeding competition.
Fforde Ffiesta Ffotos are here - [www.flickr.com]

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: July 26, 2011 10:13AM

It is all fascinating. Sound is a far more primal sense than sight and we connect to people via voice more easily than expression. Indeed, it is practically inconceivable that voice actors would ever phase out in favour of computer generated voices while animation has been eliminating sight actors since the very beginnings of cinema.

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: July 26, 2011 10:39AM

You mean that Buzz isn't real??!??

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: August 04, 2011 11:05PM

I enjoyed the latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" (movie,less than I hoped, better than I expected) but perhaps Tim Powers' "On Stranger Shores" should join the unfilmable list?

Anything by Wiliam Ashbless is, almost by definition, unfilmable.

Posted by: bunyip (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 05, 2011 02:58AM

I am currently reading John Brunner's 'The Sheep Look Up' and wondering if it could be made into a movie.

I think that with currently available technology almost any novel could be made into a movie. The question is: how well would it be done?

By the time the scriptwriters/executives of the film company/advertisers/ government and others have had their say in bowdlerising, etc., the original idea would probably be lost.

Just like the American proposal to make a US version of 'Fawlty Towers" where they wrote the character of Basil Fawlty out of the script.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.