New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Swt Mae
Posted by: mrswildthing (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:26PM

Not sure if this is the right place to say hello? I have just joined the Fforum as I am in desperate need of a Fforde Fix while I wait ffor my daughter to ffinish reading the Big Over Easy.

My husband and two oldest children are also Fforde ffans and we have yet to find anyone in day to day life who has heard of Thursday Next, let alone Shades of Grey.

My husband and I had a truly surreal experience at lunch time in a Tesco Cafe. We both bought custard/yoghurt type desserts and were told that the cafe had no spoons - not that they were in the washing machine, or that they were running low - but they had no spoons. Although we have several family in jokes about cutlery thanks to Shades of Gray (and I plan to give my husband a spoon for Christmas, engraved with our post code of course) I could not believe that we now live in a society where in order to enjoy a yoghurt in a cafe we are expected to provide our own spoon! Surely a classic example of life imitating art!

Re: Swt Mae
Posted by: MistyCat (---.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: September 01, 2010 12:20AM

You must be in the right place because we've had all the wrong places surgically removed, making for a very comfortable and friendly gathering.

Welcome aboard. Be sure to visit the Treehouse for refreshments.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 01, 2010 08:19AM

Welcome!

I have in fact seen two complete strangers reading the Eyre Affair on the train over the years. An exciting experience for sure.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 10:57AM

I can't rest until I know how you managed to eat the custard/yoghurt type dessert.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 01, 2010 12:35PM

Welcome!

If the desserts were runny enough a straw and a lot of sucking may have worked.

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: September 01, 2010 01:54PM

Welcome MrsW!

I'm just hoping the cafe didn't hand you a fork instead of a spoon.

We have lots of dessert here. Most are over in the Treehouse. There are sweet ones, marked with an "s", and there are savory ones as well. Those have a squiggly line cut into the top crust, sort of "S" shaped, so you can tell them apart.

We've been having spam issues, so if you aren't a fan of it, be cautious with the pies, as some spam might have accidentally been added in. Jasper got rid of most of the spam for us a few days ago, but the stuff is pretty sticky.

We are also playing several games. Please join in! Don't worry much about the rules, no one else seems to. (smile)

Date: September 01, 2010 02:03PM

Thanks for the spam warning - didn't realise you were Python fans as well.

My husband did use a fork. Very messy and distressing for those of us who had to witness it. My daughter and I stuck to the rules and used the wooden coffee stirring sticks provided. Again quite messy and very slow. A straw may have worked although I can see it would be trickier with jelly or crunchy yoghurt.

Do you serve alcohol in the Treehouse or do we bring our own? Have the kitchens passed a recent Health and Safety inspection and what is incidence of food poisoning?

Date: September 01, 2010 02:22PM

There's still several bottles of Stumpy Scrumpy down in the cellar. Do be careful to unchain just one at a time, though.

Date: September 01, 2010 05:18PM

Oooh cider - does it go well with a nice bit of triple Llanboidy?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.172.228.threembb.co.uk)
Date: September 01, 2010 05:26PM

Hi mrswildthing. I am glad that you found us. If you had come earlier you could have had a free pair of yukk boots, but fortunately Mr. Ff and his elves have moved them all.

Date: September 01, 2010 06:29PM

Yukk boots? What fun. No NFL jerseys? They are frequently offered on another forum I'm attached to. Personally I see no attraction in them - I'd rather have one in the Swindon Mallets livery.

Date: September 02, 2010 12:32AM

Stumpy Scrumpy is an aggressive little cider which doesn't get on well with any unpasteurized cheese, especially (unfortunately) the Welsh cheeses. It's best served at room temperature, preferably a room in a different city.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2010 01:10AM

Sounds like scumble on Discworld--it's made from apples. Well, mostly apples.

Date: September 02, 2010 07:18AM

OK - so it won't go with Macynlleth Wedi Marw. Never mind.

MuseSusan - mathematical puns may be the first sine of madness but I will continue with them cos I tan! So there!

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: September 02, 2010 11:20AM

I haven't got much time, but I really must warn you to stay away from the Stumpy Scrumpy at all costs. I never really got my memory back from "The Last Time" but I seem to remember that it's name derives from it's main ingredient which was somebody's three legged hedgehog.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 02, 2010 01:03PM

With the Aussie contingent there is a risk of AFL jersey seeing as we are about to enter finals. But I doubt that there will be a Swindon Mallets strip in that gear either.

Date: September 02, 2010 01:53PM

There's much less pet hedgehog in my Stumpy Scrumpy than there's rat in a Python Pie.

Paste the follow line into Google to find the ingredients.

"Fortunately, Stumpy Scrumpy is vegetarian"

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 03, 2010 12:43PM

Oo, I've been through Macynlleth! Sadly didn't get to go and explore though.

The spammer kept putting MBT in the thread title. I kept thinking it going to be about David M Cornish's MBT series, until I looked at the creator. Disappointed for sure.

Swt Mae
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 05, 2010 03:30AM

Welcome!

If you are interested, you will find a fresh pot of cocoa in the nearby "er, hello" thread...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: mrswildthing (---.range86-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 05, 2010 08:37AM

Any Danish pastries to go with it?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.