New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Time Has Come, The Walrus Said, To Talk of Many Things
Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 31, 2004 04:27PM

Random thoughts about TN:

1. What would happen if Colonel Next (the legit one) was put on assignment to capture his former non-legit self?
2. What other Hades does Thursday defeat?
3. Does Thursday's attempt(s) to stop Friday from joining the ChronoGuard actually inspire him to?
4. IS THIS THE LAST TN BOOK (SR) NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
5. There should be a US JaperCon....I know it defeats the point if it's not in Swindon, but.....
6. I am a devoted Garrison Keillor fan and have read "Lake Wobegon Days" many times, yet am unable to find an "incident with the socks." Any theories? Perhaps its just in the back story.....Or perhaps I'm not reading as closely as I thought.
7. Anyone have any theories on Mycroft's "incident with the prawns"? (I know this technically should go in TEA....but whatever)

I seem to have a debilitating effect on posts (whenever I post at one, no one responds....and this is one of my few visits to the Fforum anyway... :) ) so, I decided to start a new "topic" which is in actuality just a few rantings.

I must also add that I visited the Reader Fiction section of the site and heartily enjoyed Jacques Merde's letter to SARF!!! :)

Best Wishes,
~Antonio Salieri~

Re: The Time Has Come, The Walrus Said, To Talk of Many Things
Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 31, 2004 04:53PM

Hello!
All good questions, and none of them really answerable as yet, which won't stop me trying:

1) Everyone's heads explode as they try to understand the strange time loop.
2) Apparently Phlegthon may be due the chop, but that's just a rumour. Aornis is still dangerously shopping for dresses, so that's still to come, unless...
3) You mean will they, or did they, or had they had done so in the future...?
4) Mr Fforde has intentions on further TN books, so we can but hope. Apparently TN pi is the one after next. (doing nursery crimes at current)
5) If not, there sodding well should be!
6) Someone may do
7) "Mad Inventor in Crustacean Incident Horror!!!!"

I feel I must sincerely apologise if any questions were answered in that burbling. It would just be coincidence.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Anne (193.129.253.---)
Date: August 31, 2004 05:30PM

Mycroft's incident with the prawns, eh? So you're not satisfied with the (boring but safe) possibility that he tried to eat a king prawn in a restaurant and pulled the shell apart a bit too vigorously?

Nope, never happened to me either.

My theory, for what it's worth, is that he accidentally came up with the recipe for prawn cocktail whilst absent mindedly working on an invention for ripening home grown tomatoes thus confusing a lot of 1970s diners (who spent ages trying to drink their cocktails) but creating a boom in dry cleaning.

Posted by: meddlenot (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 31, 2004 08:00PM

random answers about TN

1. he wouldn't be able to use the excuse 'but i didn't recognise him sir!'

2. erm, what andy said......

its not much of a response, but i did my best!

heya! welcome.

blame it on the e-numbers

Posted by: AmyK (---.dynamic.unt.edu)
Date: September 01, 2004 03:42AM

HEY! Hey, hey, hey! Put a spoiler warning on that thar subject line podner! Some of us have not yet finished TN 4. Remember that it was released much later over here in America.

(Sorry if any of this sounded rude. I didn't mean it like that. I'm probably also the only one on the board that hasn't quite finished the book yet. If that's the case, then completely disregard this post. Please don't eat me.)

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2004 04:06AM

No, Amy. You;re right. It should have a spoiler warning attached to it. Not only for the US readers, but those in other countries who don;t get the books until much later. And don;t worry about being eaten. I think we prefer cake to human.

Welcome, Salieri!

Post Edited (09-01-04 05:08)

Posted by: LQ (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: September 01, 2004 10:05AM

"I think we prefer cake to human"

I don't. Cake's ever so boring to talk to.

Hiya, Salieri. I hope you don't mind going among mad people...we're all quite mad here.

Posted by: SingingHels (62.138.169.---)
Date: September 01, 2004 10:38AM

Welcome, Salieri!!

Oh, by the way - did you kill Mozart??

Date: September 01, 2004 11:09PM

In response to SingingHels....I hope not...that would make things a bit awkward.
Sorry about not posting a spoiler warning..... :) (And no, it doesn't sound rude. I live in the US, and was SOOOO upset when the forum for TWOLP started...and the book wasn't released for 5 months!!!!!!)
I don't mind going among mad people, as my friends would say I'm a bit mad myself.
Best Regards,
Antonio Salieri

Date: September 02, 2004 12:55AM

I apologize wholeheartedly to AmyK...and the other fforumites from my dreadful ettiquette!
Best Regards

Posted by: Aurora (193.128.110.---)
Date: September 07, 2004 04:04PM

Heh. All I can think of on this thread is Mozart(forever personified by Tom Hulce)

Posted by: Nina Blount (203.44.71.---)
Date: September 07, 2004 04:13PM

this is completely beside the point, but anyway...what IS that line from The Walrus and The Carpenter? i've got it into my head as them talking of shoes and ships and ceiling wax and sausages and kings, but i know that's wrong - i just can't get those sausages out of my head! can anyone offer any enlightenment?

Posted by: Firefly (---.htrinity.org)
Date: September 07, 2004 04:22PM

Cabbages.

Date: September 07, 2004 04:28PM

CABBAGES! but of course! thank you so much, that's been bugging me for days

Posted by: Gussie (62.69.126.---)
Date: September 07, 2004 04:30PM

I was thinking "wabbage" which incidentally, I have none of.

Date: September 07, 2004 04:37PM

ha! i think i said it was sausages to you yesterday and that was what got me thinking about it, then i come on here and see this and it's like fate. you can just imagine the walrus wanting to talk about wabbage can't you? dirty bugger

Posted by: Anne (193.129.253.---)
Date: September 07, 2004 04:59PM

Ceiling wax eh? Gosh, that carpenter was keen.

Posted by: splat21 (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 07, 2004 08:52PM

Probably used to be a car mechanic.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: September 07, 2004 11:11PM

No, I used to be a car mechanic, and cars don't have ceilings; NO ceilings, NO wax. And no cabbage, wabbage, cribbage, Babbage, or, hopefully, collateral damage.
" The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many things, Of battered tripe, and plastic pipe, and sausages, and stings."
I hope that makes things clear?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2004 01:52AM

" The time has come ,the walrus said, to talk of many things. Of shoes and ships and ceiling wax, of cabbages and Kings. And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings."

I love that poem. And the You are Old father William poem.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.