New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Christchurch, New Zealand Earthquake of 7.1 Magnitude.
Posted by: MistyCat (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: April 01, 2011 03:33AM

Thanks, VM. I should point out that I didn't create the list. It came to me in an email that had been forwarded so many times that the quotes outnumbered the content, so I did a quick "reformat to original" and pasted it in here.

It seems that the horrific task of identifying bodies may be coming to an end, with the acceptance that some bodies may just never be identified or recovered. There's no un-shocking way to tell grieving family and friends that when several 12 tonne slabs of concrete fall flush together, the bodies between the slabs are no longer bodies. Couple that with the fact that the fires in the CTV building reached crematorium heat...

At least we're nuclear free, and no tsunami. Even Christchurch folk are contributing to Japan's disaster relief.

Date: April 09, 2011 01:09PM

Woo-Hoo! As of today we no longer have to boil water. Our sewerage is back. Happiness is not a warm puppy, it's not having a cold potty.

Today's biggest aftershock a piffling 4.6 magnitude. Life is good.

Posted by: bunyip (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: April 18, 2011 05:41AM

One assumes that your 'cold potty' reference is not to the porcelain telephone but to a nice cup of cha.

Date: April 18, 2011 12:34PM

Porcelain? Luxury! The sewerage problems and the fact that Christchurch has exhausted the world's supply of chemical toilets mean a return to to the good old outdoor dunny.

EnSuite as, bro.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 27, 2011 11:37PM

Makes note to avoid festival season this year.

Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: May 20, 2011 07:03AM

Discussion of earthquake very late in a Philosophy group meeting -about midnight - brought to light the fact that the Japanese have been "scientificalllllly" removing whales from the South Pacific.

This has changed the density of the southern ocean and hence the pressure on the earth below it. Also removing whalles has reduced the mixing of the warmer surface layers and the cooler deep layers of the ocean. This has upset the isostatic balance of the seafloor. This has led to a stress pattern devellloping in the seafloor.

Christchurch was the first point where the stresses found a reaction site and twisted the earth.

Later the stress pattern reached the coast of Japan and look what it did there.

?poetic justice? even if not set to music.

PS the reason Indonesia did not quiveer was that as the energy passes the point noth of Fiji where the faullt line runs to the west the wave form was diminished so did not reach critical energy levels.

Posted by: delacuesta (---.g-star.com)
Date: May 20, 2011 10:25AM

If only philosophers were aware of archimedes' law...

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: May 20, 2011 10:31AM

I was wondering the same thing as delacuesta.

I suspect that the hour of the meeting, possibly the level of "thinking juice" left in the bottle and there being no bells on that leg may have a bearing on the conclusions. :-)

Posted by: bunyip (---.sa.gov.au)
Date: May 31, 2011 02:08AM

Philosophers are very aware of Archimedes law, especially when putting the ice in.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.