New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Earworms
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 17, 2011 09:08AM

//all I could think of was that the lining of mum's birth canal was similar to the linen textured wallpaper favoured in the late 50s/early 60s//

Now all I can think about is wall paper, whether there were bean-bags, and if everything was brown, orange and 'avocado'.

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Posted by: bunyip (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 18, 2011 12:33AM

No, more that linen coloured shade, which posh posers describe as 'ecru' and the realists say 'straw coloured'.

There were no bean bags as far as I recall. Also no chocolate dispensaries.

Another part of the treatment (done because I had no personal memories of between about 1952 and 1955) was to go back and imagine I was in a corridor with rooms on either side. I was to open the doors in sequence, each number represented a year. I was to take a quick look and then pass on the the next door.

I began and opened door 1 and got thrown out of the trance. I could never go back because each time it was tried I got a solid block of a slightly more purple than peacock blue. 18 years later I still don't know what happened in year 1.

Any suggestions as to what i might have seen?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2011 05:16AM

That's kind of amazing, and makes me want to start running tests on you. Such a shame my labcoat was confiscated.

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2011 10:39AM

Could it possibly have been something terrible behind the woodshed?

Date: February 19, 2011 09:00AM

It could have been.

In Kingaroy we had the sh*tcan type of sanitary facilities. The dunny was next to the chookyard, behind the garage next to the woodheap and under some great tree with sticky leaves.

It used to frighten me shitless to go up there so it probably served its function well.

Snakes, lizards spiders and clammy frogs were all abundant/

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.wa.westnet.com.au)
Date: February 19, 2011 09:47AM

None of the almost obligatory redbacks?

Date: February 21, 2011 12:39AM

No. I think the lizards and goannas etc ate them, but they could have been there - it's just that at that time I was not seeking out new frontiers of self awareness.

Posted by: xmorpheus (---.b-ras1.bdt.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:33PM

I'm a bad person. And I know I am.

But every time I've seen news that flashes up the name of the capital city of Bahrain, I can't help thinking "doo doo de doo do".

I know it's serious and not a matter for humour, but it's just ingrained in my head.

Date: February 26, 2011 10:06AM

Now that I know the name of the Bahrainian capital my only response is: "How could you not"!

Date: April 05, 2011 07:25AM

But what music did you hear?

Posted by: MistyCat (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: April 05, 2011 11:36AM

Go to page 2 of this thread and read the first two messages.

Posted by: bunyip (---.sa.gov.au)
Date: May 31, 2011 02:31AM

Bugger.

Now I've got it.

And the visuals from the Muppet Show.

Is it possible to have an "eyeworm"?

Posted by: Marit (159.190.251.---)
Date: June 10, 2011 08:10AM

<imagines bunyip with flailing, "muppet-like" arms>

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-136.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 10, 2011 10:56AM

Since reading this old thread i find my poor old brain is bulging with discarded ear worms but at least I've got rid of one that's been bugging me like forever.I think I was born singing it...example follows

Da da da daa da da
Da da da daa da da
Da da daa daa da Delacuesta and Bonzai Kitten
Da da daa daa daa daa.

Date: June 10, 2011 02:50PM

Erm getting back on topic ...

I've hada nasty dose of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" - way too much airplay and the last thing I heard before I walked into the office this morning. Is it possible that there could be an anti-earworm, or do you just have to wait for the next one to take up residence

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: June 10, 2011 04:07PM

You can try turning on the fan, sometimes that will drown out the earworms, but it can also blow all the paper off your desk. That can be good or bad, so...

OB, you have a lovely voice, thank you for singing in one more year. I have yet to find the cake though!

I managed to escape one this morning. There was something on the radio alarm that I really didn't want to get stuck. Thank goodness it didn't, and I don't even remember what it was, only the "Oh No! Not that!" It seems that if I'm not completely awake, the earworms fade with dreams. Useful, but not very helpful if you are already awake.

You could also try to sing OB's song to yourself a few times, and if that doesn't work, at least you'll have some coworkers asking you if you are OK. Maybe that distraction will help?

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-136.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 10, 2011 05:09PM

Whatever you do to eradicate them DO NOT CUT THEM IN HALF. This will result in many dead ends where the sentient bits can hide.

Date: June 11, 2011 01:14PM

I find that I only ever end up with segments of earworm, half remembered lines. It would be so much easier if it was the whole song, or would it?

Earworms
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 13, 2011 03:26AM

I think the worst is when 1 half-remembered song blends into another...

*shudders*

CannibalRabbit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Erm getting back on topic ...
>
> I've hada nasty dose of Adele's "Rolling in the
> Deep" - way too much airplay and the last thing I
> heard before I walked into the office this
> morning. Is it possible that there could be an
> anti-earworm, or do you just have to wait for the
> next one to take up residence
---------------------------------------------------------

I seem to recall a rap song called "WE ROLL DEEP"
& if it's by the same folks that perpetrated "FUNKY EXPEDITION",
I don't want it in my head & doubt you would either...

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: June 13, 2011 09:17PM

I think I was more annoyed this morning by the fact that I could remember the tune of a song, but only about 3 words, and none connected, that I heard yesterday. If I could have remembered even the whole chorus, I could have hummed along with it, but it just came and went like a radio station just barely in range. Augh.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.