New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Earworms
Posted by: OB (---.range86-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 25, 2012 02:50PM

There's a song throbbing in my brain.

I keep humming.

Today is the hottest day we've had all this year.

Posted by: bunyip (---.tpips.telstra.com)
Date: July 27, 2012 05:04AM

OB,

How does the tune of: 'Today is the hottest day we've had all this year.' go?

I am being afflicted by the Ray Noble song: 'The very thought of you'.

When this attacks me it makes me forget all those ordinary things that everyone ought to do. I'm in a kind of daydream, I'm happy as a king
And foolish though it may seem
To me that's everything.

Posted by: OB (---.range81-151.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 27, 2012 02:45PM

I always thought it was "the very thud of you" !!!

Great song and if you like I'll hum Today is the Hottest Day of the year

It goes something like this ( ignore the odd bum notes here and there)

MMM mmMmmm MMmmmmmmm M mmm.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 28, 2012 03:41PM

I've just been Proclaimer'ed - 500 Miles. I have a feeling that is goign to hang around for a few days

Posted by: OB (---.range81-157.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 28, 2012 05:19PM

It's bad enough with one person singing it but to have twins serenade you with "doolyadda doolyadda doolyadda " somehow makes it more , well, eternal.

Enjoy your worm.

Posted by: bunyip (---.tpips.telstra.com)
Date: July 30, 2012 05:24AM

I am having an attack of Joseph Schmidt singing - not 'A Star fell from Heaven' but a little ditty titled 'This is the happiest day of my life'.

I recall my father playing it very loudly when I left Perth (WA) in 1970 to go and live in Kanbra 2500 miles away.

As it is sung in high tenor (low frequency bat range) and me being an essentially tone deaf rumbler I make no attempt at protraying this piece of music. I do like hearing it in all its glory, though. I recommend it to anyone who likes good singing.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 12:28AM

Either 'The Great Escape' or 'The Magnificent Seven'. They've been duelling since the last job interview.

<sighs>

Posted by: bunyip (---.tafe.sa.edu.au)
Date: August 22, 2012 08:48AM

I go from the Magnificent seven to High Sierra without the seam showing. Probably another one or two tunes are in there as well, but it akll sounds so lovely in my mind.

Brings back memories of 'Concerto Populare' from the first Hoffnung concert.

Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: August 22, 2012 11:26AM

Hoffnung!!! Oh yeah.

Here's an earworm. A new earworm. New to me. I'm a huge classical/acoustic/flamenco/quite a lot of electric/lute, eeffuunn, guitar-type fan. I've heard lots of... what's the technical word?... stuff like this.

Listen to the whole thing. It's just two minutes out of your life. At first. heh heh but then you might want more he he he and then you're hooked, you want more, BUT YOU CAN'T!!! There IS no more! Mu hu ha ha

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkvizMMSds

Date: August 22, 2012 12:15PM

There is no more? This is the age of the interwebs! There's always more, stuffed somewhere in the intertubes.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 04, 2012 07:19AM

More????

Oliver sudden I feel that there are new horizons opening up.

The only '500 miles'I know is by Peter, Paul and Mary and goes back before them I think. Anyway, late 1950s/early 1960s.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 04, 2012 10:17AM

Surely that's "a hundred miles , a hundred miles, you can here the whistle blow, and I'm five hundred miles away from home". An earyworm if I ever heard one!

Date: September 05, 2012 05:14AM

A real eerieworm is 'When the night wind howls' from Ruddigore.

Date: September 19, 2012 09:04AM

I like all of the Savoy operas and I think their quality is undervalued, but I don't find "Where the Night Wind Howls" anything like an earworm at all.

Still, each to his own "Dead of the Night's High-noon."

As I wrote this, I mentally ran through a huge number of G & S numbers looking for a larger, longer lingering lyric in the lughole than that. Not wise, earworm-wise.

<Five minutes later. Hell, I didn't know just how many G & S songs I knew - most of them worthy of the earworm title. Just what is it that I have against the ruddigore example?>

Here's another way to squander your time. Go here and click and drag the lower image from here [xkcd.com] .

Where's Waldo?

More info here:

[forums.xkcd.com]

Posted by: ibborobb (217.196.236.---)
Date: September 19, 2012 01:48PM

Misty, I already made the mistake of checking today's XKCD .... not a lot of work has been done.

Date: September 19, 2012 03:15PM

But did you find Waldo?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 19, 2012 06:00PM

I didn't find Waldo, but I did crash my workstation!

Date: September 20, 2012 05:22AM

Spoiler:

Don't go here if you feel that to journey in hope and wonder is better than arriving.

[xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de]
and
[www.mrphlip.com]

Here's a quote from the XKCD forum.

Quote:
EoinC wrote:
Bit of a negative thought

Has it dawned on anyone that this might be Randall's last (or second last) XKCD?

It's comic 1110; and comic 1111 would be a pretty nice nerdy-number to go out on.
there are 4 images in there (quoted below) which are completely blank
the right most edge of the comic is a ref to the very first comic and the balloon floating guy seems to be looking for other adventures
and it does feel a bit like an artists Magnum Opus

Once I realized just how huge this was (about 1/8 of the way down the Super Mario Bros. warp zone pipe), I immediately thought of the final Calvin & Hobbes strip: "let's go exploring!"

And now all I can think about is whether or not XKCD is ending.
Last edited by tape- on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: September 20, 2012 07:39PM

I did spend many an hour yesterday avoiding my research by exploring. I love it when Randall does stuff like this!

MC, thanks for posting the link to the zoom-able map--I really wanted to see if there was anything high in the sky or deep in the sea, but I searched and searched and couldn't tell if I was making any progress.

I did spend a while following the path that a satellite dish was pointing, in the hopes of finding a satellite in the sky. Alas, it appears that there was none.

Date: September 21, 2012 12:07AM

There were many tools posted in the XKCD forum to help the searchers. So far, this link combined with a bit of JavaScript to make the image full screen is most useful to me. The site owner [www.twitter.com] haz orsum leet kod-skilz and deserves a dollar or two.

[clickanddrag.azurewebsites.net]

Even without the script, most browsers can use F11 for full screen and NumberPad/Plus (or Control/Plus) for size changing.

It may be dumb to assume that all XKCD followers know about the site explainxkcd.com.
[www.explainxkcd.com]

Thinks: While everybody is tied up here, I'll nip out to the TreeHouse and hog all the pies. Mmmmm, Pies.
<Later Edit. Quote from ExplainXKCD.>
Warning: there are cheating possibilities, people have implemented ways to explore that world more easily, but the best way to enjoy this comic is to play the game, explore the comic's world the way you're supposed to, get lost in the caves or in the sky, be startled by unexpected things or happy when finding some people after lengthy click-and-dragging through a repetitive landscape... So if you didn't do that already, reading any below will spoil you from truly enjoying the comic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 01:17AM by MistyCat.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.