New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Douglas Coupland
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 29, 2003 12:00AM

Well, if they went under the floor at that point, they might hide, but you could stick the food and water at the other end of the circuit...

EDIT--> Have just realised I'm now starting to think too much about it too.

Post Edited (04-29-03 01:01)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: April 29, 2003 12:10AM

See? It's one of those things....

Anyway, I'll provide a distraction. By giving you something else to think too much about. I'm looking for punny names for fake cheese (don't ask.)

So far, I have "pretendsleydale" and "shamembert".

Any more, anyone?

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 29, 2003 12:35AM

Perhaps the habitrail for the gerbils didn't literally encircle the room. It could have been a big circle about five feet smaller than the circumference of the room, thus leaving space for door entering. Coupland is rather vague about the details.

Date: April 29, 2003 06:38PM

While we're talking about furry critters - a cautionary tale of evil squirrels...

[www.ananova.com]

And with even less topicality - a strange DIY project of our time...

[www.ananova.com]

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 29, 2003 07:12PM

Ummm how about Foule as aopposed to Roule (Can't do accents)

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Date: April 29, 2003 08:11PM

A friend of mine used to bring her home-made cheese/olives/oil/garlic/whatever mix to D&D and leave it to ferment in a plastic box until she was ready to eat. By then, it really smelt like 'fetid' cheese.

Date: April 29, 2003 09:23PM

ook - to do accents go to character map, copy and paste (start > accessories > system tools> character map)

PSD

==========

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 29, 2003 09:35PM

That's too much like real work. I don't do that til tuesday, when I start working out poor sod's interest rates on their morgages. God only knows what's going to happen............

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Date: April 29, 2003 10:11PM

skiffle; even if it was a good bit inside the room, if it was to go round it in any meaningful way you'd still have to get inside the circle somehow.

Oh, i've just thought of how you could do it, but it's hard to explain... go right round the room from one side of the door to the other, then double back on yourself, either parallel or further up, and go right back round.... that might work!

Happy now.

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 29, 2003 10:21PM

well, no joy from the people at Harper Collins. Though I did have a very nice email conversation with a lady there. She was *very* apologetic that she couldn't help (then dropped in the fact that she had read a proof herself... how cruel?)

ah well, worth a shot.

Date: April 29, 2003 10:21PM

Thanks to the various obsessives on the web, I can reveal that it is possible to buy both t-junctions and right-angles for habitrail. Thus it is possible to produce a place for the gerbil to turn round in without having to double up all the way round the room...

PSD

==========

Date: April 29, 2003 10:25PM

*smacks head off wall* Of course, I knew this, possessing a few such items myself. (I used to have mice...they were great...)

But somehow, turning back on yourself is never so much fun as doing a circular thing. (That sounds as if it could be an innuendo, but isn't...)

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: April 30, 2003 11:39AM

Has anyone else noticed that this thread takes a couple of days to get emailed to you if you've ticked the 'email replies' thing?

It's the only one that appears to be slow at emailing out, the others are all coming through really quickly...

Date: April 30, 2003 10:57PM

Just got told a story about a cat and a hamster; both owned by friend when she was a girl. One day the hamster got out and got stuck behind large bookcase. Bookcase is shifted at one end in order to retrieve hamster. At this moment, friend's brother enters room and inadvertantly admits cat.
Cat dives behind angled bookcase after hamster and gets wedged. Friend dives after cat and also gets stuck. Hamster is sqeaking in fear of stuck cat, cat is swearing in frustration at being stuck and not being able to reach hamster, friend is crying at thought of her cat eating her hamster.

All were rescued without harm.

The hamster was also keen on free-falling. It would climb up behind bookcase by 'chimneying' techinque - one pair of legs on wall, other on bookcase. Once on top of six foot bookcase, it would walk to edge and calmly jump off. After landing, it would shake itself and walk away, possibly to do the same thing again.

Who needs TV when you have pets ?

Average lifespan of hamster - 2 years. This one lived to be 6.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: May 01, 2003 07:43PM

That is clearly what comes of having a more interesting life than the average hamster!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: May 02, 2003 09:33PM

I did ask whether the hamster was in fact part-lemming, but apparently not.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.