New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Chair Census
Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-136.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 10, 2011 07:14AM

Oh dear I thought it wasn't quite as comfy as I remembered. In that case I think I must have keft my chair on the bus. Don't be mean to Violet Moon dear. Some people lIKEA nice IKEA. You told me the meatballs were something to die from.

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: June 10, 2011 03:55PM

<dips head down a bit> I always wondered why there were so many chairs at my house. I thought it was just b/c my mom moved to a smaller place and moved half her furniture to my house. Mostly chairs. Then she broke one, or noticed it was broken, or something, and asked me to glue it back together. I did, but instead of taking it back, she gave me its mate.

So far there aren't anymore of them, but they are rather old. About 100, I think.

I used to know which was which, but they got mixed up on the ride home, and then I like to rearrange furniture, and I'm afraid if I pick either of them back up, I'll get attacked by rabid dust bunnies. Best to leaving sleeping chairs alone, I think.

OB, I have not yet said hello, so "Hello Old Boiler!" Nice to meet you. Thank you for standing up to geg for me. She gets a bit testy with me sometimes but I probably deserve it. So far she hasn't drawn any blood, so I think we are friends. I'm not sure.

Did you have any leftover meatballs to share? My lunch box is pretty light today, and I'm a bit leery of the turnips and zucchini... my head is still spinning from the fumes and the excess of adjectives.

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-136.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 10, 2011 05:20PM

Violet dear what I had for lunch today was pickled onions. I ATE IT ALL SITTING IN MY FAVORITE DRAWER. Definitely a taste worth repeating. Would you like to borrow one of my un-censussed chairs in case the chair man comes a-counting!

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: June 11, 2011 01:10PM

Hello OB.

I find that pickled onions are a taste that is repeated; wanted or not!

Date: June 13, 2011 09:09PM

OB, I am pleased you did not offer me pickled onions. I like onions, I like pickles, but the combination is a bit much for me to even contemplate. I will let you enjoy them and I will be happy you are happy in your drawer.

As for more chairs, thank you for the offer, but no thank you. If I bring home any more chairs, my husband will probably cry. It's hard to watch a grown man cry, even if he's only slicing onions.

Actually, you could probably hide for me a few of the ones I have... what is the going rate?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.149.125.threembb.co.uk)
Date: June 13, 2011 10:29PM

While lots of things can be pickled, in the bit of the U.K. that I prefer to occupy, pickles and pickled onions are almost synonymous. (Usually pickles include pickled cucumber and cauliflower,but it is still primarily onions.) What do they mean where you are?

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: June 14, 2011 10:56AM

"I'm afraid if I pick either of them back up, I'll get attacked by rabid dust bunnies"

VM - I hope you've segregated those dust bunnies, otherwise, you know, they'll breed like, well, like chairs. I speak from experience.

I thought the generic term pickles could only be used for pickled branstons?

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: June 14, 2011 01:29PM

<glares at geg for specie-ist comments>

...and PanYan - do they still make that? You could also have pickled eggs, but they are always pickled eggs, never just pickles.

Date: June 14, 2011 04:07PM

Oops, sorry. Regional centrism (is that the word?) going on, I suppose. Around here, pickles are pickled cucumbers, dill and vinegar, or sweet. If it is a pickled-something-else, it is identified as such. Pickled beets, pickled onion, pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet... they eat weird stuff around here... <shudder>

~what~ is a branston, pickled or otherwise?

I cannot segregate the bunnies. Try as I might, they just eat up the dog fur and take over the floor. They seem to create spider webs too. Since spiders are not allowed in my house, I'm sure it's the dust bunnies. I'm not afraid of spiders, they are just not allowed.

The snakes aren't allowed, and they don't come in!

Reminds me of the anklet my sister used to wear, to keep the elephants away. "But, there aren't any elephants around here!" "See? it works!"

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: June 22, 2011 01:45PM

Are stools chairs?

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Chair Census
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 12:53AM

Around here, they might pickle peaches, watermelon, green beans, green tomatoes-
pretty much any firm fruit or vegetable (or fungus) risks being tossed in a jar of vinegar...

While it's possible to pickle nearly anything, pickles without description start as cucumbers-
I don't care for the unpickled version & the pickles in my house better be dilly!

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: June 27, 2011 08:42AM

I was 20 before I discovered that cucumber could be eaten without vinegar!
However, if it is just called "pickle" for me it is either pickled onion or mixed onion, cauliflower & dill in mustard & turmeric sauce (Piccalilli)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 08:43AM by SkidMarks.

Date: June 28, 2011 07:27PM

I think stools are... stools. No backs. Chairs have a back and sometimes arms. Bar stools are a hybrid. More stool than chair, oddly enough I think it's because they don't get moved around very much, rather than because they are too high to be chairs. And high chairs are baby chairs.

The English language is awfully complicated, sometimes I forget that...

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 28, 2011 08:59PM

Has anybody stopped to consider the role pews play in this world?

I find them very useful for storing unopenable branstonson.

Posted by: annie (---.lnse1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 04, 2011 01:26AM

My office bulding has thousands of chairs, all of the same design, but in different colours.

The theory is that all meeting rooms have the chairs with black backs and grey seats. General office desk chairs can be any other colour combo.

From time to time, extra chairs are pulled from desks into meeting rooms, and then returned.

Every couple of weeks, I see the maintence guy moving chairs around, taking coloured chairs out of meeting rooms and swapping them with black/grey desk chairs.

Is this chair census or chair madness?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 01:40AM by annie.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: July 04, 2011 11:36PM

Sounds more like the invasion of the seat-snatchers!

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Posted by: bunyip (---.sa.gov.au)
Date: July 07, 2011 04:15AM

I think it is blatant colour prejudice. Why shouldn't coloured chairs be allowed into the boardroom.

Next you will be telling me that the female chairs are only there for taking minutes , delivering coffee, and for decorative purposes.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.236.6.threembb.co.uk)
Date: July 07, 2011 06:28AM

That seems reasonable

Date: July 07, 2011 08:38PM

This is job security for the maintenance guy.

Are you sure he is not just moving chairs around? And maybe not sorting them all correctly? Just so he can spend time sorting them again later? Or maybe there is a plot to keep him busy (or irritated) and one person sneaks around and moves the chairs just so he has to move them back?

Someone please make sure Skids has the chair with the loose screws that will fall apart when he sits down.

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 04:27PM

THEN WE CAN ALL SHOUT IN UNISON " WHO ATE ALL THE PIES?"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.