New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Future of Books is Here?
Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (---.193.bbplus.pte-ag1.dyn.plus.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 07:16PM

The Future of Books is Here

TN has been described by SFX magazine as unfilmable, but while we were reading The Fantastic Flying Books..., I began to imagine a successful way of an interactive TN in a similar style.

(Aside: I'm back! What did I miss? Is there still pie? The one I'd stashed in the hiding place in the treehouse has an 's' on it for spoilt. Might have been savoury once, but now just really sickening.)

Re: The Future of Books is Here?
Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: August 05, 2011 08:53PM

Welcome back!

I for me have lost track of the pies. May another member of the fforum be so kind as to show you the way to the true value of pie. Or would spies do?

Date: August 06, 2011 08:16AM

Since being turned on to the value of tau last month, I have been considering dropping pi. But don't tell anyone.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: August 06, 2011 09:00AM

Tau is wonderful! It means that you don't have to choose between sweet & savoury: you can have one of each.

In the way that t.v. downgraded radio's scenery, don't these animated books do the same to the real thing? They have a place, and if they bring more children to reading then that is good, but as a replacement, no. (Only my opinion, of course.)

Posted by: bunyip (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 06, 2011 12:21PM

Does anyone else see a pattern of 'dumbing down' here?

Radio required you to use your imagination, tv required you to switch off your imagination for the time being and just watch. What do animated books require?

Except, of course, those in the library of the UU.

The Future of Books is Here?
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 07, 2011 02:09AM

Different strokes, really- some folks don't count listening to audiobooks as reading...

I'm pretty sure I saw some fried pies stashed in the treehouse-
if not, I'll go put some there now...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: August 07, 2011 10:11AM

zendao42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Different strokes, really- some folks don't count
> listening to audiobooks as reading...
>

Tee Hee - I don't count watching the movie as reading either!

Date: August 09, 2011 07:51AM

I thought reading was quarter of the way to swindon from london.

(apologies to e e cummings)

Date: August 09, 2011 08:26PM

I don't see these as dumbing down but as an evolution, combining reading with art. The audio can be turned off and the pictures stilled, so they are stories with pictures, or the audio can be turned on fully or only after touching a particular word -- the latter is very helpful for our eldest as she is learning to read and can then check to see if she has said the word correctly. There are in-story games which don't affect the storyline but arise from it, like one book (the books in this story are alive and share their tales with the reader) encouraging the reader to tap out a melody on a piano keyboard. The story will continue whether or not the reader tries to play the tune. At another point, the books are reading words in their cereal bowls, made up of letter-shaped cereals, and the reader can drag letters from the edge of the bowl to the centre to spell words, then take a snapshot to share via e-mail. Again, really helpful to a child learning to read, as without any prompting our daughter tried spelling words she had been reading in the story. So hardly dumbing down. She is still using her imagination and learning to read, and all the books she reads have pictures in them already: the difference is that in this one, the pictures move and are interactive.

Date: August 10, 2011 03:36AM

I lie prone corrected!

Posted by: old boiler (---.range86-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 18, 2011 07:55PM

But surely for an adult to use things designed for children is a form of

dumbing down. House in the woods's child is learning to read so she can enjoy literature.( even if it only a design your own pie tome)

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: August 22, 2011 12:57PM

While accepting anything that brings people to reading, this article puts the case for proper books quite well.

All I can add is that if a story is so poor that the reader wishes to go off and look up recipes, or the descriptions so inadequate that a link to a picture is needed, then perhaps we should be spared that book.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: annie (---.lnse2.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 23, 2011 11:56AM

I did see someone on the train today reading a graphic novel on a kindle....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.