New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Not Enough Ears...
Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 29, 2003 09:05PM

As part of getting my house in order after the recent work, I have hung up my earrings again. I was getting fed up of rummaging around in various tins and boxes to find the pair I wanted, so I have pinned a piece of muslin, backed top and bottom with masking tape, to my bedroom wall, and hung my earrings from it. As the muslin is almost the same colour as the wall, it makes a rather nice display. As you might have gathered, I have more than a few pairs of earrings.....Well, it's a harmless vice.

I currently possess 88 pairs of earrings, although I shall weed out about 5 pairs I never wear and give them to charity shops.

Here are some fascinating facts you never knew you wanted to know about my earrings:
I have 8 pairs of cat earrings - four of which were presents.
3 fish pairs
3 sets of leaves
2 pair seahorses
2 dolphins
2 horses
2 crescent moon and star
2 mice
1 frog
1 whale (with amber drops)
1 owl
1 ladybird
1 butterfly
1 dragonfly
1 VW Beetle (yes, really - old model)
1 feet
1 strawberries
1 anchors
1 xmas parcels
1 velvet bows with bells
1 4" spotted cat tails
1 dice (D6)
1 sombreros
1 Medieaval sun

Identifiable materials include: gold, silver, stainless steel, bronze, Damascus gold, enamel, titanium, pewter, glass, straw, velvet, Blue John, amber(brown, orange, green and purpley), pearl, diamante, fake pearl, haematite, Fimo, tiger's eye, turquiose, balsa wood, onyx, abalone, citrene, lapis lazuli, jade, plastic and carnelian (red and orange).

Average cost of pair : £2:50

I bought about half a dozen pairs at a craft fair when on holiday in Chester. My German pen friend, who was also in Chester, was astonished, as she only owns about 4 pairs.
"Why buy so many earrings ? You only have one pair of ears."

I didn't ask her why she had two 'Moulin Rouge' T-shirts when she only had one body....

Re: Not Enough Ears...
Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: April 29, 2003 09:10PM

Blue john? If he's cold, should't you let him warm up a bit before dangling him from your ears?

*whap*

owwww

I know, blue john is a very pretty flourite mineral, ofen found in Derbyshire. I know. I just like levering poor puns into a conversation as often as I can...

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 29, 2003 09:10PM

I've got a load of pint glasses, despite only having one mouth...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.ilford.mdip.bt.net)
Date: April 29, 2003 09:19PM

I've just made myself the most incredible Art Deco style earrings at my silver class - large green square stone (actually buttons purchased at a vast price from a button shop on the Rue de Rennes in Paris nearly 12 years ago!) with a short silver post from which hangs an enourmous inverted silver triangle. They are huge - they are very noticeable - they are very beautiful - they are very comfortable - they are too big for my jewellery box!

I have lots of silver pairs but go through phases with them - currently wearing filigree ball earrings. My favourite (apart from the the Art Deco ones) are silver drop posts - about 3 inches long - which have a huge yellow amber stone set in a circle at the bottom.

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 29, 2003 10:05PM

I used to have loads of earings and change them regularly, from huge dangly ones to fluorescent yellow hoops (this was the 80's)

Now I have about 2 or 3 pairs, and use one all the time... I have some "good" ones but they are yellow gold and I don't like yellow gold!

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: April 29, 2003 10:13PM

I've hardly got any earrings, and I keep the same ones in all the time. I need to have sterling silver ones (or gold, but i don't wear gold, really) and I can never be bothered searching around for them. Besides, my hair covers my ears most of the time now...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2003 12:06AM

well, Skiffle, you obviously do role playing games...you named your dice earrings (D6)...only a gamer would make that distinction! LOL

as for earrings, I've pretty much given up wearing them because I'm allergic to nickel and get horrible sores from most costume jewelry and I can think of much better toys to spend my money on than 14-18k gold earrings! LOL

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 30, 2003 08:20PM

Most clip-on earrings get uncomfortable after a while, and I've never liked the idea of having my ears pierced (it's the thought of having to wear earrings all the time, even in bed, that I don't really like). So I have just a few quite nice pairs which I wear on special occasions.

I'm a necklace person. I've got a particular fondness for necklaces made of semi-precious stone chips; they don't cost a great deal (in fact I have two that I strung myself, which cost less than you might pay for good quality plastic beads), but they look very effective. The only problem with necklaces is that when you have a rather stupid cat (*cough*Chomsky*cough*), you have to be careful how you pick them up, or the silly creature will entangle a paw in the necklace and get into a panic when you try to put them down gracefully on the sofa.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 30, 2003 11:12PM

AAC: you spotted that I was using an RPG term. You too ?

Date: April 30, 2003 11:18PM

Of course, when you stray into other territories, RPG = rocket-propelled grenades. Boys and their toys, huh?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: May 01, 2003 01:18AM

Skiffle: ya, I'm an RPG'er by proxy. Got roped in cuz the hubby likes to play. I actually enjoy it. I wasn't gung-ho like him (he gets 'Dragon' and 'Dungeon' magazines, and collects that kind of thing)

However, we aren't playing anymore because the hubby's job is too unscheduled at the moment to make regular games. We used to host them at our house all the time.

You know it's bad when you're watching some random action movie and you're thinking to yourself, "Ooh, that sword has to be a +3 to do THAT much damage!" Or you're trying to figure hit points for some monster doofus in a B Horror movie. I need a life! [smacking hand against forehead]

Date: May 01, 2003 09:33PM

Re: pets and beads,

For the first time in ages, yesterday i made myself a new bracelet out of all blue beads of different kinds (including some very cool sparkly stars). Unfortunately I had no thin elastic left, so I used thread and popper fasteners.

Then I went to visit my mate, and his HUGE German Shepherd, who bounced up to meet me. I put my hands up to catch his paws - yup, the bracelet snaps and we spend the next ten minutes looking for beads under the car and trying to stop Broxie eating any of them. Pah.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: May 02, 2003 06:58PM

Take my advice and use linen... the only type of thread I have discovered which is reliably two-year-old-proof! (My cute little niece is fascinated by my necklaces.) You need the upholstery mending thread, which, despite being quite thick, is very effective for stringing beads because it's so stiff you don't need to use a needle. It's at least as strong as nylon, and the knot won't slip.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: May 02, 2003 07:13PM

Ta for the tip! I'll pick some up tomorrow.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: May 02, 2003 10:38PM

Alarmed to discover that the amber butterfly earring have a nasty tendacy to slide out, I hadn't even noticed that one had gone missing when Dave bent to pick something else up from the floor in the pub and found my earring. The other one slid out while I was paying for groceries in the shop next door.
I've since bent the hooks a bit tighter and they are still in place.

Date: May 02, 2003 10:43PM

Skiffle, if they're the shepherd's hook style ones, there are little rubber pieces of tubing you can get at most accessory/costume jewelry stores (at least here in the US) that slide up over the wire in back and hold them tight to your ear. I used to lose earrings like that all the time until I bought a bunch of those. Very inexpensive too!

Date: May 02, 2003 10:44PM

You can also buy little lengths of silicon tubing from fishing shops.

No, really....

PSD

==========

Date: May 02, 2003 10:53PM

yes, that's true...you just have to make sure you take the offending earrings along to test the size. Some of those wire ones are so thin that even the smallest diameter aquarium tubing is too large. I used that method a few times, myself!

Date: May 02, 2003 10:57PM

Erm I was thinking fishing as in 'angling' - you get tubing to hold floats on place, and some of them have *really* fine wire on them. In fact, some have wire finer than that of the hooks, for reasons that elude me.

I gave up fishing when I discovered rowing allwoed me to spend just as long lazing on riverbanks, with extra females in tight lycra...

PSD

==========

Date: May 02, 2003 11:04PM

hehehe!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.