New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What Category?
Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 01:44AM

As an obsessive categoriser, I'm interested to know how Fforde Ffans (I count myself as one) would classify Fforde's novels.

In terms of literary categories, what are the Next and Spratt books?
I might throw 'Fantasy' and 'Satire' into the ring as obvious contenders but neither term personally grabs me. Is it a new genre needing a new terminology?

Isn't it exiting that, somewhere in the future, when Fforde's output is being studied in university literature courses, your suggestion here** might be someone's footnote!

**footnote-a-phone: Oh yeh, as if!**

Re: What Category?
Posted by: Dibs (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 04:50AM

Fiction.

Posted by: Nicky (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 05:05AM

Dammit, I wanted to say that.

Posted by: Autumn (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 05:46AM

Then, that's the second time in two days he's been right about something.

Date: August 25, 2005 06:02AM

Careful, it'll go to his head.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 06:33AM

I don't categorize him other than to give him his own shelf. Although, when we build our new library, he may share it with other genre-busters. Aren't many of them out there, though.

If someone forced me at gunpoint to give it a classification, I'd say humorous fiction.

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 25, 2005 09:37AM

Gee. thanks so far guys. That really helped.

It might be 'fiction' !!!! Ggod save me.

I'm thankful that the cutie who is all-american at least added a modifier.

There's lots of fiction out there and a lot of humour and a lot of humorous fiction. So what genre?
I'm from Wagga Wagga and need to know.

Posted by: mebbe (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 10:55AM

Every book is either fiction or non-fiction really... I've seen it classified as crime fiction, but not too keen on that, sounds too serious.

Posted by: megs who is not logging in (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:14AM

My school writes in the front of each book what genre they are... TEA is 'crime fiction', but also 'literary fiction' and 'humour'.

Each time we start a new book in my literature class, my teacher makes us make up a sentence like wine critics. One book was "an Australian melodrama, with hints of tragedy and saga, with satirical and pastoral overtones." Now I think of it, that book had a lot of things in it...

Posted by: SingingHels (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:20AM

To cover all bases, my local Waterstones have one copy of each book in the Fiction, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and Detective Fiction sections, bless them. Not too sure if that answers the question, though...

Date: August 25, 2005 01:41PM

How about ffiction?

If you really want a modifier, how about post-modern fiction?

Date: August 25, 2005 01:47PM

I usually refer to them as cross-genre (although, I credit Dibs with the term).

HTH.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: August 25, 2005 07:22PM

At least for me, it's third shelf from the top, right end (vertically between T. H. Lawrence and Karel Capek).

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 07:54PM

JFf's books can be classified as "Wildly imaginative, pun-filled bundles of literary allusions, satire, criticism and wit", according to one recent press release anyway.

Given that I scribbled the above in a matter of moments whilst under pressure from an eager journalist wanting to cover the forthcoming convention I wouldn't want to set too much store by it, but it's as good as any I suppose.

Posted by: Tari (129.62.120.---)
Date: August 26, 2005 01:06AM

"Wildly imaginative, pun-filled bundles of literary allusions, satire, criticism and wit"

Can you fit that into a card catalog easily?

Not to poke fun, but you don't see fantasy books called "Whimsical tales containing lots of things that don't really exist, yet still provide plenty of melodrama and combine exciting action with varied degrees of made up words."

And no, I can't think of a single word genre that encompasses Jasper Fforde's work either, so long sentences may be needed anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You kids with your long hair and Baroque music...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 26, 2005 10:59AM

could they possibly fit in with the magic realism classification like 100 years of solitude by garcia.

where places and people have realistic lives and live in places we recognise from our own lives, and then something happens so strange that all realistc preconceptions are shattered, then just as suddenly the normal reasserts itself and realism is the order of the day again.

havn't explained myself very well there but have summer flu and head a bit wooly at moment.

Date: August 26, 2005 02:00PM

It's definitely not magic realism, as it completely misses out the realism part. Nice idea, though.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2005 03:39PM

In the Great Library, they'd just be listed alphabetically on the sixth floor...

Posted by: MartinB (---.is.co.za)
Date: August 27, 2005 02:19PM

Does "cleverly round the bend" count?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: splat21 (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 27, 2005 07:09PM

Is that a plumbing term?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.