New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pies
Posted by: OB (---.range86-182.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 11, 2012 09:49AM

This is true , although during those lean postwar years there were plenty of pies about marked "s" for sawdust. They cost a penny each or two for a halfpenny. Many middleclass families used them as fuel.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: May 13, 2012 09:57AM

In answer to your question, delacuesta, yes, before £p the U.K. used £SD. 12 pennies (D) to 1 shilling (s), 20 shillings to 1 pound (£).
Because these caclculations induced strange hallucinogenic effects on the population, 240 pennies (d) were replaced by 100 pennies (p). no-one ever told us who got the other 140.

Sadly during this change our change changed and the shilling, previously worth 12 pennies was only now worth 5 pence. So that people wouldn't notice the loss, it was renamed - to 5 pence. Personally I thought that this would draw attention to the loss.

For more information, look up "Libra, Solidus, Denarius" and "Timothy Leary" in any decent work of reference, or wikipedia.

Posted by: bunyip (---.tpips.telstra.com)
Date: May 14, 2012 06:15AM

I once looked up Timothy Leary.

It was horrible, and quite undescribable other than that.

I miss the old groats, farthings (except Farthing Wood of which my daughter was fond in her younger years), half pennies, guineas, and crowns and half crowns and florins. Not to mention bob, half dollar, nicker,quid, zac, and all those other self evident terms we used.

They made such an easy system for monetary management and also made one sufficiently adept at number theory that at one stage I could even understand the numerical results of federal elections.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.